Skip to content

Ask an Expert Should I ship my R6 to Europe? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Should I ship my R6 to Europe?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

kenwho

Mar 09

kenwho says:

Should I ship my R6 to Europe?

Looking for advice on shipping my 2006 R6 from California USA to Europe to ride while I am studying in Paris for a few years. I found shippers that will get the bike into the country, but how much trouble will it be to license and insure it in Europe? Any advice?

~k

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (25 March 2009 00:10)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
LJohno

Mar 09

LJohno says:

Re:

Kenwho: You should definitely ship your bike to Paris! French roads are pretty good, despite being notoriously rickety in places - but generally it's a good place to get speed up and have fun. I'm English and am going to study in France next year too so I will be taking my gsx-r600 with me.

Check out this site for import and registration purposes for France: It's related to Triumph bikes but I suppose it's similar in principle:

- Importing a motorcycle into France -

The procedure for importing a motorcycle into France is as follows:

1) Change your bike to French specifications, at any Triumph dealer.

2) Send a copy of the invoice for labour and parts, plus your vehicle registration document (V55) to:

3) Triumph France will then send you an "Attestation d'Identification". This document is the confirmation from Triumph that your bike conforms to French homologation rules. Take this document to your local "Prefecture" to register your bike.

Reply to this Topic
kenwho

Mar 09

kenwho says:

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice! I think i will definitely ship it and this will help me avoid some hassles. Drop me a line when you get to France if you want to go for a ride. Cheers, Mate

Reply to this Topic
kenwho

Mar 09

kenwho says:

French Embassy Site

There is some great information on the French/US embassy site. Not sure if the link will be pulled afetr I post it, but I will try:

http://fr.ambafrance-us.org/spip.php?article782

Here is the part on students and vehicles:

IV. Other special clearance procedures

They are available to trainees, interns, individuals sent on secondment as well as to students in French schools and colleges.

One vehicle only may be temporarily imported duty and tax free, at the following conditions:

it must have been subject, in Canada or the US, to the applicable domestic taxation (i.e. regularly licensed in those countries);
 it should be only for your personal use during your stay in France;
 it should not be sold, rented or otherwise disposed of in France;

you should hold a Canadian or US driver’s license (and be at least 18 years old) and a valid Canadian or US insurance.

The vehicle does not have to comply with the French safety and environment standards.

The temporary admission is granted for a maximum period of twelve months (trainee, interns, seconded individuals) and for the entire duration of the studies (school or college). The application must be documented with Customs at the port of entry with the temporary employment contract, the letter of acceptance of the internship, the certificate of enrollment at school or college, where applicable.

Note: Customs will usually require the posting of a bond or another security.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices