Skip to content

Discuss This Bought a new Yamaha R1? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Bought a new Yamaha R1?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Rupert Paul  says:

Bought a new Yamaha R1?

The new crossplane Yamaha R1 sportsbike has blitzed MCN track and road tests, but many riders, including our test team, report that it takes time to ‘get’ its unique power delivery. Video: 2009 Yamaha R1 first impressions Now the first batch of bikes is on the street, we’d like to know what you think. “The power’s deceptive because it’s almost a twin,” says...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (25 March 2009 14:12)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mudtoadtt

Jan 09

mudtoadtt says:

2009 R1

collected friday done 250 miles.strange,feels like a twin,sounds like a twin,pulls away lumpy if dont give it too many revs.it is running in so other end of rev counter not explored yet. seems to pull really well from low revs and 6900 max comes up very easy. fitted titainium akrapovics and cat bypass,sounds really good and looks proper with pipe work on show.rear pegs removed,pazzo levers,rizoma bottles evo tech tail tidy fitted other mods on order. i have owned 5 previous R1s this one now looks the sharpest (in blue)and possibly the best

Reply to this Topic
RavenOne

Jul 08

RavenOne says:

I'm green with jealosy - I fail as an early adopter :-)

Reply to this Topic
RavenOne

Jul 08

RavenOne says:

P.S. - looks like owners will have to cut the faring in order to put in frame sliders - is that the case?

Reply to this Topic
mudtoadtt

Jan 09

mudtoadtt says:

2009 R1

2009 R1  YEC crash protectors require no cutting. the RandG ones do.

Reply to this Topic
mudtoadtt

Jan 09

mudtoadtt says:

R1 2009

adrian at promoto in bham has arranged all parts for my bike and is very helpful with sourcing parts for sportsbikes.0121 7062250

Reply to this Topic
slaveunit

Aug 02

slaveunit says:

Massively jealous!

Anyone wanna swap theirs? I have a left nut on offer....

Reply to this Topic
J1MAR1LLO

Mar 09

J1MAR1LLO says:

Everything thats been said about this bike is true, its like three bikes rolled into one. Rode one at Webbs last weekend and put my deposit down straight away when I got back! Some say the looks are questionable (I personally love them) but the thing could have been pink and fluffy for all I cared after I rode it as that motor is something else! Get one while you can Webbs at peterborough still have a blue and a white left in stock now!!  

Reply to this Topic
captinyzf

Dec 07

captinyzf says:

Well i'm well chuffed!

Picked up my black one a week ago and have just got back from it's first service. Unfortunately high winds and torrential rain stopped any exploration of the upper revs!

All I can say is it is an awsome peice of kit. I had an 04 R1 before this so I should have something to compare it to, but no. It is nothing like anything I have ever ridden before! Just from the noise you know theres something weird going on in there. But the way it makes it's power is stunning. Like a twin/triple hybrid. And the lack of engine braking is surreal.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ward8124

Aug 08

ward8124 says:

Tyres

Ive done 700 miles on the Bike since last Wednesday and have to say it's effortless at trying to rid you of your license but its just so easy to munch corners and chase high end speed figures. With the Akros and Y piece fitted going at high revs its dead easy to think your on Rossi's M1 as it just turns heads when you approach and go by people. Everyone whos come up to me to ask about the bike has commented on the sound and how good it is so it cant be bad?! The biggest flaw IMHO is the tyres. Twice this weekend I nearly binned it due to both front and rear sliding from underneath me but thankfully i had some room to sit it up and recover. I gave it the benefit of the doubt the first time as the roads were a tad salty on another roundabout which I knew was clean, I gave it some decent lean and again the rear tyre just started to slide forcing another sit up moment. 1st service Wednesday the Dunlop 210's are defo coming off and the 2CTs are on as its just too much money to waste binning it due to piss poor tyre performance. To sum the bike up in one word: Mentalism.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices