You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Clothing > Shoei XR1000

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

keithNSmith

Aug 02

keithNSmith says:

Shoei XR1000

has anyone had this problem, i recently bought myself and wife XR1000 crash helmets, when we both wear them my head gets buffeted about, if she wears her Suomy or i ride solo then it doesnt happen, the bike is a Tiger 1050 and the top of her head is slightly higher than mine, have tried different screens and that makes no difference, i think it must be something to do with the aerodynamics between the 2 helmets, anyone else had the same problem

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (07 April 2009 15:05)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
airmass

Feb 09

airmass says:

shoei

just got xr1000, fantastic helmet no complaints i ride gsxr 750 k7 though.

Reply to this Topic
2wheelsRbetterthan4

Feb 09

XR1000

I wear a shoei XR1000 on my bandit 600 with no screen at all. Apart from wind noise i have no problem at all. I have been told the wind noise comes from the mechanism area on the sides as there isnt much of a seal round there so get a tiny bit of wind coming in and also from top vents. otherwise great lid which is nice and stable.

Reply to this Topic
mickster1

Jun 08

mickster1 says:

xr1000

i own one and have know probs with wind and i'm sure its one of the most areodynamic about but had to fit the whisper kit though

Reply to this Topic
blakeking954

Jan 09

blakeking954 says:

shoei

could be da spolier at the back of yr helmet  is causing yr birds helmet to buffet around i say....:wink: bet their none on the suomy.....me thinks....their a class helmet thou.. x spirit is one thou

Reply to this Topic
keithNSmith

Aug 02

keithNSmith says:

XR 1000

Just as an update, ask Shoei (Feridex) the same question and got a reply, they have had no reports of this problem

Reply to this Topic
bonjolino

Mar 06

bonjolino says:

XR1000 buffetting

I was also disappointed with mine when I bought it in 2004. Long distance travel gave me headache but it is not the helmet's fault. I found the more screen I had in front of me, the worse it got unless I hid behind it & totally avoided the air flow. The helmet is fine in clean air. You will need to experiment with:

1. Check the fitting is not loose (try using it with balaclava).
  2. Different cheek pads (thicker one)
  3. Different screens to alter the air flow around the helmets

Reply to this Topic
2wheelsRbetterthan4

Feb 09

Whisper Kit ?

Mickster1, Whats a whisper kit... Never heard of these before...:mellow:

Reply to this Topic
Mick999999

Nov 09

Mick999999 says:

Shoei XR1000

Yes I have had this problem, both my wife and I purchased XR1000 helmets and when she wears hers I get the buffeting you describe.  Solo it is rock solid.  My bike is also a Triumph and the wife sits slightly higher.  Did you come up with a fix?

Reply to this Topic
jdavies123

Mar 04

jdavies123 says:

idea

Definately do not wear a balaclava undearneath!! its a no no. They perform better with no screen at all. A whisper kit will only make it quieter. Should have gone for a Nolan or Schuberth on a non-sports bike. Cheek pads can be thickened if it is loose.

Maybe change the screen!?

Reply to this Topic
Mick999999

Nov 09

Mick999999 says:

Update

Never wear a balaclava, although I'm not sure what that has to do with wind buffeting?  I buy nothing but Shoei.  After some exerimentation I believe Keith's assumption on aerodynamics to be correct.  As the passenger sits slightly higher on the Triumph the airflow between the rider and the passenger creates a vortex at speeds > 90kph that then causes the buffeting.  It is most likely because the aerodynamics on the Shoei are too good more than anything else.  Could be the airfoil on the back of the helmet, it is removable but I'm not sure I want to do that on a new helmet.  I hope someone has an answer otherwise it looks like one of us will have to buy another helmet - or a new bike

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle