Skip to content

Discuss This Government tells police and councils to target bikers for cash Politics & the law

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Politics & the law > Government tells police and councils to target bikers for cash

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Government tells police and councils to target bikers for cash

Police and councils were told to target motorcyclists in order to get government road safety funding. The instructions were contained in a brief setting out how applications should be made for funding for this year. It’s why at least four counties have devised operations targeting motorcyclists. Derbyshire has a new ‘motorcycle detection’ system on popular riding routes including the Cat and...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (08 April 2009 11:48)

Post a message in Politics & the law

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
dave8204

Aug 02

dave8204 says:

More paranoid crap from MCN,which is why I don't buy it any more.All the so-called "bikers being picked on" stories are no such thing,they apply to all road users.

If you don't break the traffic laws you'll never,ever get done for anything.Maybe MCN will run a  "Bikers don't like sticking to the same laws as everyone else" story.Thought not,Kevin Ash and co do us no favours at all,stop bloody moaning and making stories out of nothing and you might just get some readers back.

Reply to this Topic
toe_down_sv_racing

Jan 08

I Agree With dave8204

Im sick of reading these stories just to drum up some speed-freak MCN reader.

Come on, this isnt the 70's chaps....

Reply to this Topic
zephyrdave

Jul 08

zephyrdave says:

hmmm

What about the £250k that was awarded to target the Somali population in Hounslow? Why aren't they complaining about victimisation? Or far, far more worryingly the £900k that Lancashire got to test 'innovative in-vehicle systems that warn drivers when they are speeding or approaching sharp curves' which sounds a lot like ISA to me... wouldn't that £900k have been better spent training people to use their eyes and brain - the bits already in car or bike that tell you when you're speeding, approaching a sharp curve or jumping a red light etc.

The DfT wanted bids that focused on bikes because bikes are over represented in the statistics, it would have been hard to justify awarding grants for projects that focus on 35 year old dwarf lesbians with one leg as they make up such a tiny % of road casualties...

Yes it's good that projects are focusing on keeping riders alive and rubber side down but perhaps some of the projects are a little mis-guided. If you live in the one of the areas that have got a big fat DfT grant, or even if you don't, why not get in touch with your local road safety unit and tell them what you, as a biker, want in respect to road safety be it further training, better visibility at junctions or just a re-test for all taxi drivers.... you never know until you ask...

Reply to this Topic
FOGs

Feb 09

FOGs says:

Not Again!

How about putting the funding towards the new sandy coloured road surface that is being used at the approch to pedestrian crossings and tight corners and put it on ALL Round A Bouts? 

Oh AND! a re-test for all taxi drivers who think the red cycle box at traffic lights is THEIR! stop line even though it's clearly marked with a cycle picture, why arn't the Police targeting them to make money for Councils.They would have far more money in the coffers for the end of the year bash!

Reply to this Topic
emmsscott

Apr 09

emmsscott says:

Vehicle Tracker

GPS tracking devices provides you powerful tools for cost control and accountability that guarantee increased productivity, efficiency, and profits. Also provide accurate text reports of travel & stop times, locations, speed, and map displays showing routes traveled. Track vehicles with ease with a GPS Vehicle Tracker from Spyville.

GPS Vehicle Tracker

Reply to this Topic
Kingsil

Mar 09

Kingsil says:

65%

In the early sixties a psychologist called Stanley Milgram conducted an experiment on how people defer to authority figures, he took a group of people and got them to administer electric shocks (obviously not real ones!) to a victim strapped to a chair. The white lab coat wearing authority figure pressured them to ramp up the voltage finally reaching 420 volts. 65% of people went all the way to the highest figure despite the actors by now agonised screams. In that 65% you can place all the people who say 'if you don't do anything wrong/ break any rules you've got nothing to worry about'. Most motorcyclists tend to be anti-authoritarian and that's a good thing.

Reply to this Topic
ergf

Feb 09

ergf says:

im with dave8204

The rules do apply to all road users. I have been done for speeding twice in the car not once on the bike yet.
If you drive at 30 in a 30 zone you will end up with a queue of traffic behind you because most road users speed.
If we speed we take the risk of being caught. I am not going to let it make me paranoid just like riding a bike its an accepted risk

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AlanWiltshire

Aug 08

Wrong focus

In the last few months I've had three incidents which could have been worse, but I was able to deal with them safely.  The first a driver changing lanes who never knew I was there.  The secondly a van driver tried to squash me onto the hard shoulder.  If he'd been a  bit more observant he'd have seen the cop car behind him.  This weekend a car driver did a U turn from a parked position without looking.  Luckily I braked in time and only suffered a click from the pillions helmet.  All three incidents caused by car/van drivers.  Why are they targetting bikers?  If all vehcile drivers learnt the observation skills bikers have to learn to stay alive we would all be a bit safer.  Spend the money on improving driving standards!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices