Skip to content

Discuss This DVLA lost my licence entitlements Politics & the law

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Politics & the law > DVLA lost my licence entitlements

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Dave Tinkler  says:

DVLA lost my licence entitlements

In November 2007 I swapped my Northern Ireland licence for 'UK' licence. My licence stated that I could drive a selection of vehicles which occupied 9 rows on the back of the licence. When I got the 'UK' replacement it only had the basic car entitlement, no bike! Luckily I had taken a copy of the original & sent them...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (08 April 2009 16:36)

Post a message in Politics & the law

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Copy

I hope you`ve taken a copy of your copy!

Reply to this Topic
DaveRM

Mar 09

DaveRM says:

Lost entitlements

Seems it not confined to bikes. A colleague of mine lost his trailer entitlement when renewing his licence and can't get it back.  I think it is straightforward incompetence. It could be a scam to get more money out of us but I'm not sure they've got the ability to organise it, so I'm sticking with the incompetence theory.

Reply to this Topic
PENWELL

Jul 08

PENWELL says:

DVLA Licence renewal

D. Tinkler

Have just recently had my driving licence renewed and took the precaution of not only making a copy of my old licence but enclosed a note to remind the person dealing with the renewal that I currently use my motor cycle and car licenses. Heh, it worked, all previous groups were included.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Entitlements.

Government computer systems are notoriously shabby. The only upside I can think of is that you can be thankful it wasn't one of the proposed identity cards!

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

entitlement

So what do you do if you send your licence off and it comes back incorrectly entitled? Can it be fixed or do you have to take a new driving test to get your entitlement back?

If DVLA refuse to fix the problem what can you do sue them, but what if you can’t afford to sue them?

Is there an answer to this problem that seems to be the modern decease of incompetence or plain stupidity?

There seems to be no solution stated to this issue just that the person gave up, not really a solution though.

Reply to this Topic
gavweb69

Sep 08

gavweb69 says:

Entitlement

Mine came back when I upgraded to a photo licence with no bike entitlement.You need to provide a certified copy of the licence or your original test certificate, I had neither so had to re-take my test.After 20 years it came as a shock I can tell you.

Reply to this Topic
peterca

Dec 02

peterca says:

What's a "certified copy" of a license? I passed my test nearly twenty years ago, don't have any test certificate as proof, still have the old style license (and photocopies), and will not be upgrading to a photo license because I don't trust DVLA to do it correctly.

Never mind that I have had to supply my license to insurers as proof whenever there's a claim or I've changed insurers, never mind that I'm always asked to produce it when I buy a new bike. It's quite appalling that you can be made to resit your test. If ever they lost my entitlement I'd take them to court for incompetence and "random" removal of my entitlement to ride.

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

A few ways

As reported previously (in MCN I thkn) the DVLA can look at a number of source to figure out what entitlements you had should there be a cock-up.

The first is copies of the original.

Next is original pass certificates.

They can also look at insurance records etc.

I agree totally they this should not happen at thelevel it is happening, but by keeping you important documents in order.

Reply to this Topic
Kingsil

Mar 09

Kingsil says:

DVLA Dunces

If you have to send your licence in what you need to do is take a  close up video of it. This can't easily be faked unlike a photocopy. Add a little audio commentary along the lines of    "I'm about to send my licence to the clowns at the DVLA, this is a record of my entitlement to ride motorcycles of any class and capacity"  If it comes back minus the crucial Cat A take the video to your solicitor. If he can't help you upload the video to youtube, it might start the ball rolling and show the DVLA up for the hapless goons that they are.

Reply to this Topic
mickdel

May 03

mickdel says:

DVLA losing entitlements

I got my licence from northern ireland originally,  and i refuse to change the address to mainland even though i've been living here 20 years! I just cannot trust these morons not to fcuk it up!   I feel so sorry for people that have lost out by these twats not being able to do their simple job properly.   

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle