Skip to content

Discuss This Qatar MotoGP: Stoner wins rescheduled Qatar clash MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Qatar MotoGP: Stoner wins rescheduled Qatar clash

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Qatar MotoGP: Stoner wins rescheduled Qatar clash

Ducati rider Casey Stoner won the MotoGP race in Qatar after it was postponed due to torrential rain.   The Aussie finished over 7 seconds ahead of Fiat Yamaha rider Valentino Rossi. Rossi's Spanish team mate Jorge Lorenzo finished in third.   Yamaha Tech 3 rider Colin Edwards took fourth ahead of fifth place Repsol Honda rider Andrea Dovizioso. MotoGP veteran Loris Capirossi, riding for...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (13 April 2009 20:19)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
hondmog

Oct 08

hondmog says:

stoner

the lcr-honda that stoner used to ride before be went to ducati wasn't a shit bike

so how can it be said that he as always on shit bikes ????

Reply to this Topic
AdestheMex

Aug 08

AdestheMex says:

First Race.....

It's only the first race and the Qatar circuit has always produced strung out races. It was a dirty track, with most of the rubber that had been laid down being washed away. Setup's were done for a different time of day etc, many riders are still adjusting to the new tyres. Well done to Casey on his 3rd win in a row at that circuit, and well done for putting in a superior ride. I remember the days when Rossi would do the same thing and people would always say he was putting on a masterclass for the rest. It seems Casey is maturing, and Rossi might be a little shaken up. His post race interview, body language and facial expression said it all really. He couldn't hide how upset he was at not winning that race. And so he should be, because if he was to try for the mental edge over Casey, he needed to wini that one Bad.  

Just lets see what happens at the next few rounds as Motegi has held success for both Stoner and Rossi before we start calling MotoGP boring. There is so much more to it than just the on-track antics that makes the anticipation of each race just about unbearable. 

As for the rest of the field................... Well, nice one Colin Edwards. 4th place is outstanding, and where did your team mate finish???? I see he new crew cheif is working out for him then. And Dovi! I think Pedrosa will need to put in a super human effort this year or I think we'll see Dovi becoming the number 1 at Repsol.  i don't think De Angelis can be blamed for the incident with him and Pedro either. Pedro ran wide, De Angelis went up the inside and there was contact, simple as that.

Not sure how it was all boring. I can't wait for the coming season! It'll be a fight between Casey, Rossi, Lorenzo for sure, with the odd surprise in their mainly from Dovi or Capirossi. Pedro might be up there but I think he will have too many problems with his health to be a serious contender.

Reply to this Topic
holestonecowboy

Jan 09

dull

The race was won in the first 2 laps. Roll on the nw200. Come to N.IRELAND  16th may, to see some excitement. Average lap speed 124mph with no run of area.

Reply to this Topic
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

lost contact

Well after a super annoying delay (i had to call in sick so i could watch it live at 2 pm canada time) casey did his thing.  As a very loyal rossi fan I was extremely disappointed to see that there was no battle between the two best riders in the world.  We all know casey is devistating on his own, but makes mistakes when pressured.  Unfortunately all the other road pylons want to beat rossi and so got in his way early making him waste precious rubber getting through the pack.  This allowed casey to manage his tires and cruise to victory.  Dont get me wrong casey is an incredible rider, but he is only 93% as good as rossi, when in an actual battle.  Rossi's problem is that he sucks at starting and this was never a hindrince before but now that there is someone almost as good as him it is proving very difficult to claw back 2 sec during a race when stoner excels at being alone.  After looking at the times in practice it was a two horse race and it is unfortunate that riders like lorenzo and dovizioso got in the way. Capirossi was not a problem as he will move out of rossi's way if he knows that he cant maintain the pace.Quality chap that.  However the young guns are all young, dumb, and full of cum, and they all think they deserve it even if the proof is in the proverbial pudding.  Take lorenzo for example; he's fast but it is not his time yet, and he was a real pain in the ass to rossi who was obviously faster all weekend.  Pick your moments horhay and dont decide the outcome for your betters.  Rossi needed to pressure casy right from the start, and was not able to for the above reasons.  But all props to casey for riding a brilliant race.  Its just too bad that we didnt get to see what he's made of under pressure.  Other notables- Way to go colin edwards; its good to see that the "fast on monday" rep has finally paid off.  Also dani-fucking brilliant to stay on your bike after being t-boned by deangelis.  I'm sure that didn't help his sore left knee at all.  What a warrior.  Hopefully we will see a better battle in motegi in a couple of weeks.  that should be a better battle as there are shorter straights and heavier braking zones to bunch up the riders more.  Finally good comeback for sete, and great heart from nicky. cheers all and please resond if you have a legit comment.  I welcome the banter.

Reply to this Topic
marty1035

Aug 07

marty1035 says:

1986vfr750 rubbish

Look I think you are totally wrong. Why should any rider not being lapped pull over to let Rossi, or anyone else, past just because they got a bad start? That's not what racing is about. Racing is about competing and that means everything from getting the best start you can to passing as many as you can, or making it harder for those behind to pass you.

I get pretty worked up with armchair critics defending everything Rossi does and rubbishing those that get in his way.

Reply to this Topic
AdestheMex

Aug 08

AdestheMex says:

Racing is Racing

Sorry vfr750, but there was a battle and Rossi lost (this time). Stoner & Rossi may not have been swapping paint, but in terms of the mental struggle, it was huge. Casey wasn't looking after his tyres either. When Rossi closed to within 2 seconds, it was because Casey had to reduce his fuel consumption to make it to the end of the race. If you look at his times, he was consitently lapping in the mid 1.56's and only dropped in the later stage of the Race. Yes Rossi had traffic to pass, but racing is racing and I sure as hell wouldn't let someone by just because they are a good bloke, or a legend etc. Rossi is in a race with 17 other riders who all want to win. I'm sure if Rossi had won (even with the start he got and having to pass riders) everyone would be hailing him a hero again. 

As for Casey being rubbish under pressure, I cast your mind back to 2007 when Casey went head-to-head with Rossi in a few titanic struggles, and won. Same as last year, he won 6, Valentino 9 and they both battled. Yep, Stoner binned it in Laguna, and yep, he binned it in Brno, but how did Rossi lose the 2006 crown??? Thats right, he binned it under pressure and Hayden won.

Reply to this Topic
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

ades the mex/marty1035

Nice fellas,thats what im talkin about.  Quality feedback.  Allright firstly, marty c'mon we're all armchair quarterbacks so get off yr pedastal mate. other than than that your cool.  Ades yes i am biased towards rossi cuz without him noone would bother watching moto gp.  He knows the fine balance between dominating and putting on a good show.  As for 07 , i mean really 20-25 km difference in top speed?  The only reason casey won in catalunya was because his bike was faster. Talent was almost  equal.  I am willing to aknowledge that casey is 95% as good as valentino,but in catalunya 07 caseys bike was way faster.  Look at 08 when rossis bike was still slower but closer (5-8 km/hr) and casey got whupped.  Remember too that valentino came from back in the field to beat him.  Casey has only ever won from the front, he has never come from 3rd or 4th row to win in moto gp.  Having said that however, he is incredibly fast and the only one to truly challenge the maestro.  He is not rubbish under pressure but no one .yet has been able to handle the doctor when hes knockin on the door.  And yes i am bitter that after waiting and waiting rossi lost. 

Reply to this Topic
deltablues

Nov 08

deltablues says:

Across the Sea

Wow! I just do not understand all the Stoner hate on this board. Is it a British thing? Fact, the young man rides that Ducati quite well. I kinda like the fact that he does not 'toy' with the other riders like someone a few posts below said Rossi used to do to keep racing 'exciting'.

You can bet that had  Rossi been out in front like Stoner was in this race, he would have not been coy....he would have wiped the track with the other riders.

I wonder if we will see the end of Rossi's track-side shows this year. Mentally, this has got to be his toughest racing year yet. He has almost a decade of racing at the GP level.

Shout-out to Collin Edwards! And encouragement to Nicky Hayden! Good to see Southern Boys competing at this level.

I think this season will not be 'boring' at all. And I think the racing is going to be a lot closer than last year.

Greetings From Arkansas!

Reply to this Topic
9999steve

Jun 06

9999steve says:

The start

It was in the start the race was won. That ducati can launch its self to moon without a bobbly. Valentino didnt make it clean so got pushed back, his fault to some exstent or was i watching a different race? Racing is racing an valentino would not expect to be let through by anyone. I just hope like the rest of us genuine fans that the racing will be closer and non of this stoner taking off again but not holding my breath! Respect to Edwards as he showed what can be done on the yam that a certain other bloke cant! 4th in motogp at his time in his career! Take that wall down so some cheesy grins can pass by!!!

Reply to this Topic
snorris1969

Jun 08

snorris1969 says:

Qatar

Hope this isn't a sign of the racing to come the gaps up front seem to big to get any good racing , you have to go back to 6th and beyond to see any racing , think bsb and wsb might be the better option for any excitment this year

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices