Skip to content

Discuss This Replacement of corroded parts under warranty Consumer news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Consumer news > Replacement of corroded parts under warranty

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

Replacement of corroded parts under warranty

Bought my Suzuki SV650s brand new in October 2008. Despite regular cleaning and copious amounts of FS365, by March 2009 numerous parts of the bike had corroded (mainly nuts and bolts). Discussed with dealer, took my bike in for them to look at, they took their photos and sent them off to Suzuki GB, who came back and authorised their...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (14 April 2009 15:48)

Post a message in Consumer news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
learner125

Apr 09

learner125 says:

Hi,

I know the Suzuki parts are probably of much higher standards but i have an 08 Gilera SC 125 which was new in October and by January the belly of the exhaust was rusted and starting to flake on a daily basis along with a lot of rust also over nuts, bolts and brake discs, unfortunately all i keep being told is this is due to the high salt content in the air and on the roads over winter and its my own fault because i must not of washed the bike correctly - obviously couldnt be nothing to do with the parts?

i think some companies might just be cutting corners, using inferior parts to save cash, which in the short term seems a great idea but then they are constantly replacing rusty parts (provided the warranty will cover it)

Reply to this Topic
Rich748

May 03

Rich748 says:

07 R6

My R6 which I've had new since august 07 went into the dealer for accident repairs - and whilst in the workshop they noticed that the cables to the exhaust valve were corroded and starting to sieze. They replaced them under warranty, but the mechanic asked me if I'd been caught out on salty roads as there was corrosion beginning here and there.

Caught out? I just use it and sod the weather! On a bike like mine power and weight saving will always be a priority rather than plating parts and fasteners to resist corrosion. I guess the manufacturers don't really cater for those who wish to ride a sports bike all year. Imagine the uproar if an 18 month old mondeo started to rust!

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

Why do we accept this?

Would this be accepted on cars?  No.  Not even a Hyundai or a Skoda would rust like this.

So why do Suzuki et al think is is OK for bikes to corrode over winter?  Keep taking them back and keep getting the parts replaced at their cost until they learn.

With modern materials, there is *NO* excuse for a bike to rust.  Other than using inferior materials to cut costs, of course.

Reply to this Topic
gofres

Nov 07

gofres says:

K7 Bandit 650SA

I bought my Bandit back in Nov 07 as my everyday set of wheels. To give Suzuki some credit (not much) the bike stood up to it's first winter very well with my only complaint being that the paint started to flake off the wheels within a couple of months. This year however, and it's really starting to show some serious corrosion despite being washed very regularly (every weekend) and having lashings of ACF/WD40/etc applied to it. I wouldn't even like to figure out what I've spent in bike cleaner and keeping the rust at bay but it's without a doubt, too much!

I did question the Suzuki dealership I bought it from as to wether I could get these parts replaced but the garage went bust before I got a reply. Where does that leave me? Trying to find another Suzuki dealership within the area who don't want to turn a blind eye or blame it on my "poor cleaning" routine.

As this bike is touted as an "everyday commuter" sort of bike, surely Suzuki (and every other manufacturer really) should design the bikes to be a bit more weather proof. Especially as more and more people are leaving public transport and their cars for 2 wheels.

As everyone here says, you certainly wouldn't expect it on a car as they are designed to withstand whatever British weather throws at them. So is there a chance the BMF or even MCN could use their might to raise the standards of motorbike manufacturing so that future bike engineers could take into account that some of us use our bikes, not just when the sun shines? I mean, before the bike, I had a P reg Ford and spent ZERO time and money looking after it (excluding its annual car wash) yet it didn't have a spot of rust!!

Somehow, I get the feeling I'll be doing a full strip and replacement of rusty parts myself. Thanks Suzuki.

Reply to this Topic
Tordy3002

Apr 09

Tordy3002 says:

Dont bikes have bodywork warranties like cars do then? Maybe thats something that should change.

Reply to this Topic
clarkson2197fsworldcouk

Feb 04

Suzuki

Sadly Suzuki and Yamaha are the worst of the Jap bikes for corrosion with Suzuki having a particularly poor reputation and now Honda are starting to produce European bikes in Italy and Spain they too are deteriorating.

I also had a BMW R1100 RT and after 2 years of summer only use you could hardly undue a nut anywhere on it ! have a look at any BMW now and you will see they too are cost cutting and the customer is paying the price even My mates Triumph 675 is corroding after only 6 months so all the big producers are cutting costs on quality.

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

corrosion

I've had bikes since 75, and this is something that's never changed. Hondas used to be the better built (but still not great) With modern technology, there's no excuse for corroding parts, especially when the new litre bikes are so expensive..Even a 6k car would not show corrosion even when left outside all year with an odd bucket of soapy water thrown at them.

Bikers in general are charged very high prices for bikes, spares and kit which is made for peanuts. Most leather gloves/boots etc are made in Pakistan/China for pennies and the quality terrible. 

I've just bought some new 'Altberg' boots (one of the last British manufacturers) and the quality of the hide/stitching is far superior (for the cost) than expensive boots from major manufacturers.

Reply to this Topic
Tooshay

Dec 07

Tooshay says:

SV650S

I had a 2005 SV650S for 2 years & ran it through two winters running up 26k miles as i don't own a car & although it did corrode, it never corroded as badly as your one! I then had a Honda CB1300S for this winter, owned the bike for 4 months & it started to almost disappear, nearly completed rotted in places (now traded it in!). Although the build quality from manufacturers probably isn't good enough, maybe this winter was just worse, i noticed a lot more salt being thrown on the roads compared to usual. I don't know. It's just depressing to see bikes corrode as badly as they do - when will bikes be made for the UK weather conditions & not just as summer toys?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices