You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > puncture repairs

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

narinder

Apr 08

narinder says:

puncture repairs

Can punctured tyres be repaired ? I ask this because I was advised that z or w rated tyres can not be repaired.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (27 April 2009 00:03)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Djfudds

Apr 09

Djfudds says:

repaired

I had a nail in my back tyre few months back now, was a fairly new tyre too.. left it in for a while till the head wore off :tongue:.. then took to a tyre place.. and as luck would have it they did bike tyre repairs.. they fitted whats known as a mushroom plug, first the removed the tyre and drilled the hole bigger to about 5 mm then pulled through a plug shaped like a mushroom from the inside.. then cut off the waste on the out side.. wears the same as the tyre.. ive taken my bike up to 130mph.. (shh) and its held fine.. you can only just see where it was now.. cost me £15.00.. sorted.. was so pleased as cost of a new rear tyre aint cheap..

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

tyre fix

Most places won't fix it. Thankfully for me, my brother owns a car garage, and can fix punctures :smile:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
bonjolino

Mar 06

bonjolino says:

puncture repairs

there is a lot of pub talk about this by fitters. The less they know, the more they speculate!

Bike tyres can be repaired depending on the size and location of the puncture. As simple as that

Emergency repairs like the manual plug in or the foam out of a can are only emergency & all manufacturer state the tyre has to be repaired properly asap i.e. tyre taken off, rim inspected and a mushroom plug inserted from the inside.

I have been using Slime in my mountain bike and is a godsend for the type of off road riding I do but I have not gone faster than 40mph. I still check the tyres after every other ride to pull out possible thorns & make sure there is no damage.

Putting this kind of products in a high speed motorcycle tyre? I don't think so.

Reply to this Topic
rdo350

Feb 09

rdo350 says:

Repairs Yes!

Many car or bike tyre places will do proper repairs using a patch. I've had loads done over the years. You get most in the rear 'cos the front pops the nail etc up to skewer the rear, a rear repair will pass the MOT, a front won't.A brilliant bloke for doing mobile repairs and new tyres in the London area is Jim of 'Cavalry' 07974 260311. 

Reply to this Topic
gazinblack

Jul 07

gazinblack says:

North East Tyre Repairers ??

Anyone know of a place that will do the mushromm repair in the Sunderland\Durham \Newcasle area ? New tyre 2 weeks ago skewered yesterday and lto make it worse look at the bleeding sunshine for a Bank Holiday !

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

punctures

THE law says repairs have to be good and safe. So if a manufacturer is willing to issue guidelines for repairing their tyres, then as long as those guidelines are followed the repair would be effectively legal. Michelin, Metzeler and Pirelli have issued their own guidelines which permit repairs to their V and Z-rated tyres. However Bridgestone, Avon and Dunlop's repair guidelines are that you repair their tyres to the current British Standards. British Standards were changed in December 1997 to preclude repairs to V and Z-rated motor cycle tyres. So it might well be worth bearing that fact in mind when you come to replace your tyres……

Here's Dunlop's take on it in more detail:

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.co.uk/tyres/tyreSafety/

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Reply to this Topic
gazinblack

Jul 07

gazinblack says:

Punctures

Thanks for the info guys - mines a Bridgestone 160/60ZR17 - I guess that makes it a Z rating & beyond 'legal' repair. Bang goes another £110 !!

Reply to this Topic
petesk8

May 09

petesk8 says:

puncture repairs

You can buy mushroom repair kits for a permanent DIY repair to your tyres for about £20-30. Just follow the instructions and it's a simple process. Well worth the money even if you only use once. The kit I used contained an insertion gun and probe and about 20 mushrooms. I used one on an Avon Azaro ZR18
for several thousand miles with no problems.

Reply to this Topic
Ribbit

May 09

Ribbit says:

puncture preventative gunge

I first started using puncture preventative gunge back in the early 70's I think (whenever OKO first started becoming available anyway), after I had a pretty nasty front tyre blowout at high speed. Managed to keep the bike upright and not hit anything, but that's not saying a lot.

Never had a problem with it, early on with tubed tyres, later and currently with tubeless radials. Not using OKO at the moment (dunno what it is, same sort of gunge, but OKO isn't available round here), but I wouldn't even begin to think of not using an equivalent.

One front tyre, when replaced, was found to have 17 punctures in it, and I'd never noticed more than about 1psi to top up when checking pressures.

Safest stuff you can shove on a bike, apart from the rider. I'm out on the bike all year round in all sorts of weathers, often miles from anywhere, and the stuff is invaluable.

Government should be subsidising the stuff and not pissing around wasting people's money with ridiculously stupid EU imposed driving tests imho. It'd make more sense to me anyway.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices