Skip to content

Discuss This Swerve test violates health & safety Politics & the law

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Politics & the law > Swerve test violates health & safety

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

Swerve test violates health & safety

I am about to take my part 1 Motorcycle test and have been doing some reading about the hazard aviodance at 50km/h. Firstly as a 'born again biker' may I say during training I found it difficult and in six attempts did not achieve 50km (47 best). However reading a letter about the DSA accepting no liability for anyone injuring...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (05 May 2009 16:46)

Post a message in Politics & the law

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Wessex72

Apr 09

Wessex72 says:

Liability?

All very good in theory, but you'd have a hard job proving liability or negligence.  The fact is, performed correctly, the swerve is perfectly safe and reasonably straight forward.  My students (once over their fears) haven't struggled with it at all.  During training you say you couldn't reach the required speed - how big is the training area you are using?  My pad is 20m short of the DSA test centre and we don't struggle with the speed.

Ultimately, all crashes are the fault of the candidate, if you look where you are going and STAY OFF THE FRONT BRAKE, then you will make the manoeuvre.  The problems I have witnessed are that students tend to look down at the speedo as they are crossing the speed trap, look up, see cones, panic and brake, with the inevitable result.

Therefore there is no negligence on the part of the DSA.  What I would be interested to see, however, is the DSA risk assessment for the test and what that highlights.

I'd like to also point out that I am an ATB, not a DSA employee.  I am not at all happy with the new test, I think it's largely pointless and yes, I do believe the swerve is unnecessarily hazardous because a novice reaction is as I've detailed above.  It takes a lot of experience and/or training to counter that instinctive reaction.  I do think that the test is here to stay, it will not be revised in the near future, because that would be an admission of fault on the part of the DSA, so we have all got to make the best of it.  Unfortunately, people will get injured and bikes will get damaged in the process.

Reply to this Topic
DaveRM

Mar 09

DaveRM says:

Swerve Test

As I have said in other places, If the test is a test in the dry , it will be dangerous in the wet . If it is safe in the wet it will be too easy in the dry. It does not take any account of road conditions , weather , temperature or any other of the variables involved.  It is a one size fits all supposed solution to a problem which could be solved better  by an examiner making a judgement of a candidate by observation both on and off the road. Taking into account all the prevailing conditions, which lets face it are rarely perfect in this country.

Reply to this Topic
JoeKerr

May 09

JoeKerr says:

Swerve for who?

Any test that segregates a section of the road users will not be fair. I took my test on a snowy day, just imagine doing a swerve test at 32Mph! It is not a question of a rider coping with a real life situation, it's more like the rider coping with incapable car drivers. Scrap the test or make it compulsory for everyone.

Reply to this Topic
leytonman

May 09

leytonman says:

swerve test

I did not brake or look at speedo but when I swerved in wet bikes front wheel went from under me, throwing me down on left shoulder  smashing it in 5 places. None of my trainning schools staff could do it in wet and would not let students try it as they thought it was to risky.
Only way to reach speed was flat out in 2nd not the way I would ride given choice. 

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

blackbox

OK, then what you have to have is a bike with computer black box in it for the test, that actually monitores the control of the bike through the course. The student is told to go around in the dry, and then they are told to go around and imagine its wet (during training)? If its technique thats making riders come off in the wet, then the computer can warn you before they get into those conditions, that they are likely to fall off; if they are doing it right, but still coming off in the wet, then the test is dangeorus and needs looking at.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices