Skip to content

Ask an Expert Quick insurance question.... Insurance

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > Quick insurance question....

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

defblade

Apr 09

defblade says:

Quick insurance question....

(newbie alert!)

.....would fully comp for bikes usually include personal injury cover?

Doing my CBT this Saturday and thinking about getting on the road ASAP after.... these sorts of questions seem to come up at odd hours of the day when you can't just ring a few companies ;)

I'm 38 and sticking to a 125 for commuting, the bike's not going to be worth loads (max £3k, possibly less than 500 quid!) so TPFT would be OK for the bike, but I'd like something for me, just in case.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (06 May 2009 21:11)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
forklift

Apr 08

forklift says:

insurance

ring a company up and ask

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

In`s

Fully comp is for the bike, anything else get it in writing! There`s nothing usual with in`s co.:shock:

Reply to this Topic
defblade

Apr 09

defblade says:

fairy nuff

@jaffa90 - cheers, I guess that's always going to be good advice with insurance companies.... :dopeyhmmmm:

Reply to this Topic
k8cat01

Apr 09

k8cat01 says:

maybe

take out a personal accident/sickness policy-but usually if you have a mortgage you get these as an add on anyway

speak to your insurer they will tell  you if have or buy as an "add on"

As for the personal injury aspect-TPFT is okay id say-if youhave an accident that isnt your fault there are hundreds of companys that will happily take on your claim along with any of uninsured losses you may have for example if your leathers were damaged or your helmet

Hope that helps

Kate

Reply to this Topic
tsgv

Jan 09

tsgv says:

Personal

injury is 99% of the time an optional extra, but yes you are right in thinking some comprehensive policies include this as standard, but always check with the insurer.

Leathers and helmet is usually an optional extra but some companies at present are doing the "free" inclusion on new policies i.e. Hastings  but with bikesure you get the option for an extra £20 a year.

If you use a site like gocompare it gives you a break down on what is and isnt included. Try that to check pricings etc then when happy ring up the company and double check!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
k8cat01

Apr 09

k8cat01 says:

agreed but-

I mean should you come off yur bike and you have this cover-usually on home insurance (check though) and you cant work- an accident and sickness policy will pay you upto 2years if you need to be off due to injury etc

What most insurers dont want you to know is the legal aspect is usually dealt with by another company-for free!!

uninsured losses can also be claimed back via an accident management company-if you have a TPFT policy-your insurer wont deal with it-HOWEVER

an accman co will happily deal as this is their bread and butter!

I go for TPFT and then should you have an accident speak with Tombbc on here-they deal with that kind of thing.

you neede pay for something you can have for free!

Reply to this Topic
QuantumMechanic

Oct 08

Shop around but...

you'll find that nearly all companies only provide personal accident cover as an add-on to the main policy. I recently went fully comp & took out personal accident & legal cover as add-ons (I do the same on my car insurance) & it was still cheaper than the few that supposedly quoted inclusive of these. If you use one of the comparison sites you can choose what you need & compare the details, costs etc.. to see which one would be best for you. Never take anything for granted with insurance companies because you'll only find out that you're not covered when you really need to be, too late after the incident/accident!

You can also get personal accident cover from a different company to the one you're insuring your bike with, it doesn't have to be the same one (like holiday insurance not with your travel agent or house insurance not with your mortgage company).

Have fun, keep safe.

Reply to this Topic
defblade

Apr 09

defblade says:

Thanks

I'll check my household insurance first then, and I'm also getting some sickness cover soon which might apply too... otherwise I'll make sure I know what I'm buying ;) TP (I'd rather spend the FT bit on extra locks) + personal injury may be enough if I buy a bike at the bottom end of my price range

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

cover

You`ll be lucky defblade, :shock:Read the small print.( do you take part in dangerous sports ):shock: ie (Motor cycling). Best of luck.:smile 

Reply to this Topic
k8cat01

Apr 09

k8cat01 says:

jaffa90 lol

He's commuting to work not doing the TT! :lol:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN