Skip to content

Ask an Expert Racing without a road licence? New rider

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > Racing without a road licence?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Rootes

May 09

Rootes says:

Racing without a road licence?

Hi guys,

I'm new to bikes, although I've been around them my whole life.  I turned 21 in January and will soon be in a position where I can afford to indulge the one thing I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember.

Now I want to turn my hand to racing, I was planning on doing my road licence and going down that route to get my ACU race licence, but the new test/it's cost has really put me off as I never actually intended to ride on the road, just to use it to gain the skills/knowledge needed.

What other routes in to the sport are there, the ACU website mentions training days, or doing trackdays, but I can't find any days that don't require a road licence!

Any info would be greatly appreciated, or am I going to have to bite the bullet and do a road test I don't really need?

Thanks,
Rootes

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (11 May 2009 16:35)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
iancol

Sep 07

iancol says:

Racing without a road licence

Based on recent reports of successful young riders taking their tests, I'd say there's no reason why you should need a road licence to use a track.

Reply to this Topic
Rootes

May 09

Rootes says:

Racing without a road licence?

It was that, along with reading an interview with Guy Martin who apparently also doesn't have a road licence that made me think it must be possible?

It just seems a bit daft to spend £xxx on getting a road licence when I have no intention of riding on the road.  Particularly when I could be putting the money to good use on kit and experience on a track.

Reply to this Topic
forklift

Apr 08

forklift says:

licence

It must be a good investment. Are you telling me at some point in your life you won't want to ride on the road. I'd say it is in your best interests to get it then you have more freedom to ride as and when.

Just my opinion though.

Reply to this Topic
Ian Version 2.0™

Aug 08

Get the licence

That's my advice. I don't really understand what you mean by 'I'm new to bikes but have been around them my whole life'?

Can you ride to a reasonable standard?

If so then the test should be simple enough with just a few training sessions which shouldn't set you back to much and at least then you could ride at any trackdays you liked.

If you can't ride (or not very well) then you're going to have a bloody steep learning curve to be competitive on a racetrack. The amount of trackdays you would have to do just to feel at home on the bike would already cost way more than the doing the test and learning some skills on the road.

What type of bikes are you planning on racing?
(places bet on sports 600's :wacko:)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Rootes

May 09

Rootes says:

My dad's always had bikes, I've ridden a bit of MX but not raced.  I spent most of my weekends up until I went to uni at race meetings watching and wishing I was there.

And Ian Version 2.0, no I don't intend on racing sports 600's.  I want to start parading and racing with the CRMC on most likely a 125 or 250cc single or twin.  I've got my eye on a few things as a project to work on as well.

The bike's I'm looking at won't be road legal.  Hence my question.

Reply to this Topic
Ian Version 2.0™

Aug 08

Fair enough

Well okay mate but my point still stands about whether or not you can ride well?

If you can already ride to a decent standard then I would say you should go for the test and get your licence. It wouldn't cost you that much to do it providing you don't need lots of training and would open the door to getting your ACU licence and being able to race/do track days at any circuit you choose. On top of that it will be a good way making sure your skills are up to scratch and spending some time on a bike.

The way I see it is that if you're not good enough to breeze through your test then you probably aren't ready for a racetrack.

Also despite the fact you aren't planning on getting a road legal bike right now doesn't mean you'll never want one does it? You've obviously got a love for bikes and that licence you take the trouble to get now will last you for the next 40 years. Well worth the outlay I'd say.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Rootes

May 09

Rootes says:

Well, I can ride an MX bike competently.  but not having a licence I've never ridden a road bike.

I understand that there are definite positives to getting the road licence, it's still an option, and looking ever more likely.

I just really wanted to know if there are any other options, any track schools that offer taster sessions for people without a road licence etc.  Just want a full idea of the options before I splash a large amount of money that's all :roll eyes:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices