Skip to content

Products Tire advice : Honda CB1000 Big One tires Tyres

You are in... Forums > Products > Tyres > Tire advice : Honda CB1000 Big One tires

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Chris Dabbs  says:

Tire advice : Honda CB1000 Big One tires

MCN expert Chris Dabbs is here to answer any questions you have on anything bike related. If you have any questions, ask an expert here Q. I ride a Honda CB1000 Big One, its rear tyre is a 170/60 x 18 and I’m struggling to get a tyre to fit it apart from Dunlop’s D202. Dunlop produced two other models, but have discontinued those,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (02 March 2009 11:45)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
darren10000

Mar 09

darren10000 says:

cb 1000 tyre

I have the same problem and am considering chucking a 160/60/18 on it as there are a few of them about but I don't know quite how it'll screw up the handling??????

Darren

Reply to this Topic
evilhomer

Mar 09

evilhomer says:

tyre sizes cb1000 DANGER will robinson !!!

this is a very dodgy area.....there are a lot of tyre suppliers supplying the wrong size tyre for this bike  NOW ! :wacko:Honda recomend 170/60/zr18 for the rear as there are less than 200 of these machines in the UK NOW! we've been abandoned by the manufacturers :mad:

the 18 inch rims area problem a popular conversion is to add 17" rims from the blackbird

however if you fit a 160/60/18 to the rear you will notice the following ,a quicker turn in ! however the tyre will 'cup' and could crack the bead and roll off the rim...

if you add the 180/55/18 which is also being hawked about by the suppliers as an 'excellent fit':upset: the bike will try to continue in straight lines round corners...

both these tyres are being 'hawked' as a good fit 'sonny' but in fact they change the handling characteristics so much its noticeable when riding in a 'spirited' fashion:ph43r:

therefore.....we as owners of an increasingly rare machine are in a word...'knackered'

i hope this answers the question...

the safer alternative is the 180/55/18 offered by Metzeler however this is a soft touring tyre and I've shredded one in less than 3000 miles.....

but the 160's are too dangerous....

hope this helps...

and BTW thanks all you tyre manufacturers out there for totally forgetting about us and letting tyre suppliers nationwide recomend to us dangerous tyre combinations !!!!!!!!!!1

Reply to this Topic
exaset21

Apr 09

exaset21 says:

cb 1000 Rear Tyre

I needed tyres for my cb 1000 earlier in the year and was advised to fit a 160 section tyre in place of the standard 170 .    This is what i have done,however i now understand from Bridgestone that the 170 section tyre is still available in the BT 54 range.    If anyone is having difficulty getting one of these tyres i would advise them to e mail Bridgestone........   they were very helpfull to me and assured me sourcing one would not be a problem.              As for the fitment of the 160 tyre i can`t really say since i have not been out on the bike yet.               I hope this information is helpfull .

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices