Skip to content

Riding & events I dropped my bike today Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Riding & events > Riding Skills > I dropped my bike today

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

rebecca o'leary  says:

I dropped my bike today

I dropped my bike for the first time today - arrrgh. I was trying to do a u turn-the road was too narrow - just a track at the side of my work building. Poor CBF500 lay there, whilst I tried to get it back on it's wheels. I couldn't do it though. Some old bloke walking past was grabbed...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (08 April 2009 09:39)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
H2pots

Jan 09

H2pots says:

dropped bike

once your bike is on its side, don't panic, don't rush to pick it up, compose yourself. if it has fallen on its right hand side (usually) while bike on floor, put the side stand down. crouch down, back straight, knees bent, grab rear footrest hanger and right fork leg, big push with legs, keep back straight, lift til bike goes back onto side stand

Reply to this Topic
jonpspencer

Aug 02

jonpspencer says:

There are several veiws of this on Youtube, even one of one person picking up his BMW K1200LT

It works, I know, Ive had to do it myself!!

Reply to this Topic
Bikefar

May 08

Bikefar says:

I had my "woops!" last week.

Hi, Rebecca, I really do commisarate with you.

When I did my enhanced riders training, the trainer impressed apon me not to ride when you are tired, but last week, my boss wanted me to come in early and stay late - again :mad: and didn't understand "no" :mad::mad: so I drove back absolutely knackered. I had an appointment that evening so I went straight there, arriving early, so decided to use the time getting petrol.

Like you, I tried to do a U-turn and the bike suddenly developed an ejector seat, landing on my shoulder some distance away.

I'm still on pain killers. Don't drive when you are tired - your life saving sixth sense is probably already in bed.

Reply to this Topic
nobodysdriving

Feb 08

Hi Rebecca

what H2pots said sounds really helpful, though I am not going to drop my bike to see if it works LOL (mine is VERY HEAVY, a Pan European at almost 300kg!!)

Anyway, sorry I don't have any tips on picking up your bike, just wanted so share with you that I also dropped my bike (not the current one, but previous, a Honda Hornet 600), not once, but twice, once on each side! both times from a stand-still and both times had someone to help me pick it up!

You're not alone, and it happens to boys too LOL

Jo

Reply to this Topic
parapanfan

Apr 06

parapanfan says:

I have been told that the Pans are quite easy to pick up -

but like you I don't want to put it to the test.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MilkyBarkid

Apr 09

MilkyBarkid says:

Pick up techniques

A quick check on youtube found this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4MPyX0QCYw:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
ginger 72

May 08

ginger 72 says:

droppedbike

I have dropped my new er6n twice just pushing out of the garage, and a car park both times i needed the help of someone to lift it.  now i leave the side stand down till i'm on board. I'm 73 and 10 stone. 

Reply to this Topic
mikejj

Mar 09

mikejj says:

I dropped my bike bike today

Dont worry, we have all done it more times than we care to admit.

Try this site www.pinkribbon.com it shows you just what to do and how to pick the bike up by yourself, even if you are only small. Even us guys struggle to pick up some of the machinery we ride, I know I do.

Best advice I can give you though is what my o/h says when I am trying to turn round in a confined space, LITTLE STEPS

Reply to this Topic
steve.g

Jan 08

steve.g says:

well,

i couldnt pick up my daytona 955i, stood there like a pratt. took two of us to lift it.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Dropping bike

Remember. A sticker will cover small scratches...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices