Skip to content

General Best 125 for rider returning to Biking? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Best 125 for rider returning to Biking?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Istate75

May 09

Istate75 says:

Best 125 for rider returning to Biking?

Hi, I'm new to this forum so firstly would like to say hi. I have a general question about which is the best bike for someone like me returning to biking.

I passed my test in Sept 81 whilst 17, and rode for a few years with the last bike I had being an Yamaha RD350LC. I'm one of those riders whose entitlement has magically disappeared off my licence when I changed it to photocard (it was a while ago and I didn't notice). I've booked a CBT on a hire bike as the DVLA put 2 fingers up at me although they made the mistake!
Anyway back to my question, I liked the Yamaha because it was quite a tall bike for a road bike. I'm 6ft and about 15st, so I think I would look stupid on a small bike. I have noticed the Yamaha YZF-R125 which seems to be quite big for it's engine size.

Does anybody have any advice if this is a decent bike or what I should consider?

Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (15 May 2009 14:34)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
basset1979

May 09

basset1979 says:

i hav a honda xr125l and im around the 16 stone mark and ive had a lot of fun on this bike and its good fun off road greenlaning

Reply to this Topic
captainsnoman

Nov 08

125 bikes

:ph43r:best thing is todo, get down to your local dealers.ask if you can sit on the 125 and see how you feel.. good lil bikes out there.. yams and honda and dont forget the asprila..

Reply to this Topic
DrFutura

Apr 07

DrFutura says:

No wish to put a damper on but

the Varadero is overpriced. There seems to be a great deal of snobbery with bikes that the Japanese ones are somehow godlike and are the only ones that can be considered. Its almost like the anti-Japanese feelings there were in the 70s particularly against Japanese cars. Whither the British car industry now? Obviously the Japanese have been, and to some extent still are, the arbiters of technological revolution in motorcycling.

For a "big" 125, though, the Hyosung GT125, in naked or "R" form is fine. Its cheaper, has a big bike feel, and is reliable. They are not that cheap new, although less than a Varadero, but they do not hold their prices very well (probably due to the snobbery). I am not saying it is "better" than the Varadero, but you might find one a couple of years old that would do the job while you train without the cost. Lets face it, who buys a 125, trains, and keeps it? Its a stepping stone to better things.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
defblade

Apr 09

defblade says:

yes,

Varadero is a bit over priced. But it fits me and hopefully I'll be able to sell it on overpriced by a similar amount in the end ;)

Mine came yesterday and due to no road tax yet (insurance docs in the post :( ), I definately haven't been riding up and down the lane half the day ;)

Oh, 6' 4" and 15.5 stone

Reply to this Topic
steve.g

Jan 08

steve.g says:

istate125

i say, once again...do not send your old licence back when applying for foto licence.

they ask you to, i didnt. they dont chase it up. you then have evidence. (and also a clean paper licence....fnar fnar :winkie:)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices