You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > rear brake lock up

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

lucas66

Mar 08

lucas66 says:

rear brake lock up

When i'm braking hard with both the front and the rear, the rear brake tends to locks up and my tire slides.is there a time the rear brake actually has a use, or is it best just to leave braking just for the front?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (18 May 2009 01:52)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

"when I'm braking aggressively"

aggressive braking is asking for trouble generally, for stopping 75% front / 25% back in good weather, 50/50 wet - if your back wheel locks and slides, you MIGHT correct it, if your front locks you definately won't...

try easing off the gas a tad earlier, and change gear a bit earlier then you minimize the need for harsh braking.

hope that helps 

Reply to this Topic
iancol

Sep 07

iancol says:

Rear brake lock up

There's a big question about  technique here.  If you lock up the rear it's because you've held the clutch in, in which case you need to apply the brakes a lot harder because of the loss of engine braking.

As indicated by AdieR, with the amount of engine braking available on most machines, you have to leave your braking very late not to be able to take advantage of it, especially if using the gears properly.

Reply to this Topic
fastasfuck123

Apr 07

Question

If the wheel locks because you have the clutch in, does this mean that during engine breaking some of the force of the rear brake is actually slowing the engine?

I personally only use the rear brake at traffic lights no matter what the weather conditions.

And if I need to scrub off some speed mid corner I use the front break.

Reply to this Topic
iancol

Sep 07

iancol says:

Rear brake lock up

In answer to your question fastas, with engine braking, the back wheel's driving the engine.  Applying the back brake as well merely reduces the amount of energy the engine has to absorb for a particular rate  of retardation.  The engine would have to be turning at less than tick-over speed for the brake to affect it as you describe, and you'd soon know about it, as you would get judder.

Reply to this Topic
Roadrunner007

Jun 09

Lucas take a IAM course

lucas66 for someone who claims to have track day experience you have no idea how to break on a motorcycle, and you clearly have nicked some of your comments about weight transfer under braking from another website. You are obviously inexperienced given that you state

" When i'm braking aggressively using my rear break"

You should take an IAM course before you come off. 

Reply to this Topic
lucas66

Mar 08

lucas66 says:

k

get a life.....

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
lucas66

Mar 08

lucas66 says:

rear breaking in a corner

here's a video of what can happen when you use your rear break in a corner......(ps. don't)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdcL_ID_5d4&feature=channel

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Yeah,

I remember seeing that vitriolic reply to Roadrunner, and thinking calm down mate!

Reply to this Topic
DrFutura

Apr 07

DrFutura says:

For starters

your bike has BRAKES which slow it down. If something "breaks" generally its f*cked. Please use the correct spelling so we can understand.

Most of the advice seems to accord with what my instructors told me. But one small point: sometimes you have to brake in a corner, you either cannot always be set up for every corner (unless you know every corner of every road maybe) and sometimes something unexpected may happen. It is possible to brake in a corner, and can save you from serious harm. Your tyres probably have much more rip than you realise.

Reply to this Topic
lucas66

Mar 08

lucas66 says:

right on

you sir, are correct....although i think you should try to lean your bike harder, instead of relying on your brakes to correct your line....

..and good for you for taking a course.Being able to corner right can save you from serious mishaps.A lot of bikers never take the initiative to take a course. anybody with a sport type bike should, although i've seen guys on cruisers go off in corners because  of a lack of technique....pass it on

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices