You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > HAyabusa starter motor

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

steveblanche

Aug 02

steveblanche says:

HAyabusa starter motor

I have a 1999 'busa that has just eaten it's starter!:upset: The toothed gear on the end of the shaft & also the idle gear are both stripped. I have read in various forums that this is a known problem & is sometimes replaced under warrenty by Suzuki. How do I find out if this is the case & will they replace it after 10 years. The bike has done around 27000 miles.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (18 May 2009 16:58)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Irwin

Apr 09

Irwin says:

Starter motor

Hi: your be lucky if they do. I had a surpected problem with my starter motor, and looking for a cheap way out as you do. Looking in mcn their is a company that repairs them its NIPPON DISTRIBUTION UNIT 8C REDDICAP TRAD. EST. SUTTONCOLDFIELD WEST MIDLANDS B75 7BU . NO 0121 311-0313. Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

busa motor

It's well out of warranty now, so you're looking at a repair. Chances are it's just the idler gear and one-way clutch, not the starter motor with any luck.
The main cause is the engine backfiring, which is probably down to the battery voltage being low. What should happen is the pistons whizz over nice and quickly and the engine fires up. But if the bike has been standing for a while, or had an alarm fitted, it's possible for the engine to kick into life momentarily backwards. And if you have got your finger on the starter button the starter motor will be going in one direction and the motor in the other which is when teeth strip.....

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices