Skip to content

Discuss This New MCN May 27: Sports bike of the year revealed General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > New MCN May 27: Sports bike of the year revealed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

New MCN May 27: Sports bike of the year revealed

In this week's MCN, we test the Aprilia RSV4, Yamaha R1, KTM RC8R and Triumph Daytona 675 around the Isle of Man TT course to find out which is the best sports bike of 2009. Free Beta tool box when you subscribe to MCN Over 2000 miles were covered in three days, including four laps of the 37.73 mile TT course. Can...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (26 May 2009 11:48)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
iMarcus

Apr 08

iMarcus says:

A bit of a short short list isn't it?

If you're trying to find the best sportsbike, shouldn't they all be in that list? where's the 1198, gixxer, fireblade, R6, etc.?

or have I missed the point?

Reply to this Topic
brianhevans

Nov 05

brianhevans says:

sorted...

I think they have already sorted out the list of best bikes so this final test is the best of each class (twins, triples and fours) or maybe (twins, 600's and 1000's), either way I think the R1 has it.

The R1 won in the MCN shootout several weeks back and then again against the RSV4 last week.  Being an owner of the new R1 I am pleased to hear it do so well but it seems MCN's appraisal of the new R1 is quite the opposite from tests I have seen in Masterbike and all the publications in the United States.

Reply to this Topic
JimBaker68

Apr 09

JimBaker68 says:

It's gotta be the R1; after all, the Aprilia spares department never seem to have any stock at my local dealers.

Reply to this Topic
richieaustin

Mar 09

richieaustin says:

Mcn biased

Mcn are the only mag to rate the R1 above the blade yet alone the RSV4! Mcn are biased towards the R1 and no other mag rates it any where close to the RSV4. Fact, the RSV4 is the new bench mark every mag and test bar mcn say that fact and the Ape has soul and beauty which sets it way apart from anything else especially a mass produced ugly as f*** thing such as the R1. Mcn are blinkered to the facts, i have tested the RSV4 on track and road and it is put simply a special bike (no glitches whats so ever) way way ahead of the R1 and ahead of the 08 Blade. mcn will put the R1 ahead of the ape in every test they do! Enjoy your R1 TT lap with Rossi, o yeah Yamaha again!!!! Mcn seem to forget the fact the R1 has problems and there are a lot of very disgruntled owners, its not smooth and not quick ! Mcn tests not worth the paper they are written on, work it out chaps its not hard!.

Reply to this Topic
iMarcus

Apr 08

iMarcus says:

ahhhhhh

I get it now, I just thought it looked a bit unfair putting a 675 up against an R1, plus, all the mags I read have had the Fireblade top of the pile, but for me its got to be the RSV4 :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Netting87

Apr 09

Netting87 says:

Richie.....biased!

Do you not own an RSV4? Who is biased then? Don't go throwing your toys out the pram just because someone doesn't think your bike is that great.

And if MCN is worth the paper it's printed on, why are you a memeber and browsing the site?

The R1 is the superbike I would pick out of the current models and I expect it to win the shootout

Reply to this Topic
Lightning Boy

Mar 07

Netting... Richie is right

Sorry to say it Netting, but MCN does shine out as an R1 evangelist, preaching its gospel of deluded truth. I cant say that the RSV is better or worse, but I really don't think the new R1 is as amazing as you seem to believe... in your case, MCN were preaching to the converted. Bike magazine had some non journo's ride the bikes and the Blade came out on top, many of the riders were not keen on the R1's power delivery. For myself, I think the RSV looks insanely good. I suspect it would be a challenging ride and not at all suited to roads or my 1.88m height. The R1 looks a little bland and the cross plane crank seems to have little if any benefit - is this Yamaha's VTEC? Technology with no actual benefit. Such a shame the Blade looks like a plastic pig.

Reply to this Topic
richieaustin

Mar 09

richieaustin says:

I own a new R1!!  selling it for the RSV4, no contest.

Reply to this Topic
Netting87

Apr 09

Netting87 says:

LB

Can't say I agree, but if we all liked the same bikes, it would be a pretty boring world!

Reply to this Topic
JimBaker68

Apr 09

JimBaker68 says:

Make your own mind up

I would imagine most people involved in this thread are big enough, ugly enough and experienced enough to make up their own mind over which bike suits them best.

After all, the journos that test these bikes are just like you and me. In fact many of you have more real world experience than them. Just because Mr X from Magazine Y says the R1 is the best thing since sliced bread doesn't mean it really is. These chaps are not superhuman; most wouldn't know how to set up a bike if their life depended on it.

So who cares what MCN, Bike, DiRE or any other magazine have to say about the latest batch of machinery? It's you that's lashing out the cash. If your seriously considering one of the bikes shortlisted in this 'much-anticipated test' then you've probably got enough nouse to make up your own mind by test riding the lot of them for yourself.

Me? I'll stick with something a little older; I just can't handle the power any more!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices