Skip to content

General Quit before I start? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Quit before I start?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Breadman

May 09

Breadman says:

Quit before I start?

Would love to hear some words of wisdom from all you bikers out there! 

Recently started to learn to ride. At 32 I have been wanting to ride since age 13 but never got round to it for various reasons. I really want to get on two wheels now i have the chance but since I started out I have just come up against a brick wall... (or several..)

Family and friends and "advice" from anyone I mention my passion for two wheels its always the same response "Oh don't do that... MUCH to dangerous"...I was aware of the potential risks, but all the constant negative pressure from certain people around me has now taken its toll. Making me feel like they are "right" and I shouldn't even be thinking about doing it.

Then there is the recent test updates... reading peoples views on this "improved" bike test it appears at the moment just a huge hill to climb.

Anyone else out there been in the same situation as me? Was it worth pressing on and ignoring the nay sayers?  At the moment I feel like its not worth it... :mellow: 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (26 May 2009 16:57)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Shakeyjake

Aug 08

Shakeyjake says:

Just Do it!

Breadman, I wanted to ride for years but didn't because of the negative voices (not the ones in my head they liked the idea). Then one day my dad nearly died unexpectedly and i realised I had to do what I wanted because it might happen to me and I don't want to miss out on anything.

So I did my CBT, bought a 125 and had the most amazing experience since discovering sex.

Say to those who say its unsafe that it actually depends on you and how you ride. If you ride safe then its no more dangerous than many other forms of road vehicle. So just keep training even when you pass your test.

That way you will enjoy every time you go anywhere on your bike, and the question will cross your mind, is riding better than sex or not? It's a hard one to answer on a sunny day :wink:

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

if you don't try it

then you'll never know - and then you'll regret not trying it.

have a go at it, and tell us how you get on:smiley:

Reply to this Topic
oddbob

Mar 06

oddbob says:

The odds are

Something to ponder. Five biker friends or acquaintances of mine have died over the years. Three died of illness or disease. One died after a non-serious bike crash because of complications from a long term illness, he could have died after falling over to be honest. The other one died because he was riding like a complete arse and always did.

Apply a bit of common and you'll get more than enough enjoyment to offset any risk. Seems to me that just being alive is generally more risky than riding a bike.

Reply to this Topic
crackfinder

Mar 09

crackfinder says:

Well.....

I'm 44 and passed my test 10 days ago :biggrin:, but I wish I'd done it years ago, I was in the same boat as you, always wanted to do it, but never got round to it,

But now I'm in the same boat as Dazthenewbie and Danster, I've got a big 600cc bike in my garden and I ride it every spare minute I get :biggrin:.

Again, the same as Dazthenewbie, it cost me a few quid, but it's well worth it, believe me there is no feeling like getting your clobber on, putting the key in the ignition and pressing the magic button :biggrin:, and then the ride? well it's just out of this world.

Like you it was something I'd always wanted to do but never got round to.

If you have the urge/need to pass your test and get a big bike only one thing will fulfil that need,and you know what it is, :wink: 

the urge may subside after a while....but you can bet your bollox it will be back even stronger......so the only logical answer is..... as others have said..........

Just do it.......do it for yourself.....I did.

no one else in my family likes bikes, wife, kids, parents.... but thats ok because I did it for me :biggrin:

to coin a phrase......you know it makes sense....:sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
mobileenoph

Jun 07

mobileenoph says:

Breadman

Bikes aint dangerous.......

Their vulnerable...

To the other tossers out there

Reply to this Topic
PENWELL

Jul 08

PENWELL says:

to ride or not to ride

Breadman

There are not many of us who could say that they have never come accross some sort of resistance from a loved one when the subject of motorcycles are mentioned. Iv'e had one accident on my push bike in the last four years and that was probably down to a situation I had not experienced. In that time I've covered over 20,000 miles and enjoyed most of it. As far as the motorcycling goes I try to adopt the same principals as when I'm riding my cycle and remain in a sort of comfort zone, a regeme that keeps me in control of things when amongst other road users. eg. Expecting the unexpected to happen. Good luck and you be the master of your own destination.

Reply to this Topic
stephen01

May 07

stephen01 says:

Go For It

After all there are a lot more dangerous things you can do:smile just ask any of our Ex or present Armed Forces guys on here:wink: you only live once so grasp every oppertunity with both hands and have fun...

Reply to this Topic
KimLondon

Jan 08

KimLondon says:

We don't like to think

that what we do is risky. To be honest I do feel a twang of fear every time I start my bike and I know how dangerous it can be - I've come close to being trashed a few times.

However, I failed my test twice. I took up biking against all advice and quite a bit of opposition. But, I quit smoking a few years ago and my reward to myself was to take up the bike and I'm trying to get better all the time.

It is the best thing I've ever done and I love being on my motorbike but the biggest joy is facing down my fear and pushing my self. I like a challenge and the rewards are just so huge.

Good luck!

Reply to this Topic
CBR69

Feb 09

CBR69 says:

BREADMAN...............

this is your concience speaking..........get your licence........get a motorbike.......................and have some fun!!! :lol::lol:, here's one for ya mate...........if they all told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it??:blink:  prob not:wink:, lifes too short not to try new things, go for it, we are all a long time dead!! live to regret mate, dont regret not living!! :wink:

RIDE SAFE!! THINK BIKE!!:sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

riding bikes

My mum was never overly chuffed when I started riding bikes but everyone who knows me knows that its pointless in trying to disuade me from something I've set my mind on. If your changing your mind because of peer pressure is it just for an easy life??

People who hark on about the danger are normally only trying to convince you of their own personal prejudices. At the end of the day its your life and its up to you how you want to live it.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices