Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

trainerphil

Apr 09

trainerphil says:

module 1

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (28 May 2009 00:06)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ryan46little

Sep 08

ryan46little says:

no error, i was told by an instructor that nerves got to her and she just grabbed a handful and went over the top.

Reply to this Topic
wilsongrahams

Jun 09

Nerves

I guess this would still have happened on the old test then and isn't significant to the argument against the new Mod 1.

There will always be nerves in tests.

Can anybody think of a way to assess someone's skill without the swerve test?

I guess that to criticise the DSA for implementing it we as bikers should know what they should have done instead.

Reply to this Topic
commandercrump

Jun 09

Don't practice swerving on the road!

No, practising the swerve on the highway isn't a good idea. But then practising the figure-of-eight or slow slalom on a public road isn't clever either. 

All training schools must have access to "off road" training areas; so where's the problem?  Don't tell me that their training areas are too small. Instructors have had years to get organised and they bleated like hell when Mod 1 was delayed. There really are no excuses for schools not being ready for this.

Reply to this Topic
iancol

Sep 07

iancol says:

New swerve test

Based on the fight-back by DSA and instructors who say it's OK (including one I know), perhaps the Freedom of Information Act request for information on crash numbers should also include a request for the names of the trainers who are allegedly letting their students down.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
flowerm4n

Jun 09

flowerm4n says:

module 1 failed 1st attempt

hi all im new to this forum so please bare with me.

Took my module 1 test on wednesday 10th at hernebay test centre in kent everything was o.k until the dreaded swerve manouvre.The weather was absolutely pooring down and i found most of the test quite easy.when i did the swerve manouvre i did ok or so i thought and managed to put the front wheel between the cones as required only to be told i was too slow and too have another go.

as this is your only chance to pass i overcooked the speed through the aproach and when i tried to swerve i realized i was too fast to complete the swerve safely,so i pulled out of the swerve and stopped in the cones as required .

it was then that i was told i hadnt completed the test and had failed on that manouvre .then i was shown the speed and the first pass was 45kmh. the second pass was 64kmh.(way too fast).

even when aborting this, trying to stop caused me to lock the rear wheel slightly which i then released and gained control.

i do believe this section of the test is do-able but the conditions on the day made it even harder ,i also think if i had tried to complete the second attempt i would have been unable to stop in time safely.

on the day i picked up 1 minor on my emergency stop(the examiner thought i could had stopped slightly quicker) this was done at 58kmh.

my point is between 58kmh and 64 kmh was the difference between stopping without skidding and not being able to stop within the distance required without skidding.

2-3 mph!!

also not knowing how slow you were until after the second attemp didnt help. if i knew i only had to speed up another 4-5 mph i dont think i would have taken my secound attempt at such breakneck speed.

i think accidents are happening because people are going far too fast on their second attempts as this is thier final chance to pass the test and cannot control the bikes troughout the manouvre and stop safely.

i'm booked in again for next week and i'm hopeing the weather is kinder to me.wish me luck.

Reply to this Topic
commandercrump

Jun 09

Falling off on the swerve.

flowerm4n says:

"I think accidents are happening because people are going far too fast on their second attempts .." 

Perhaps, but there's often an underlying reason - insufficient practice. Like any manual skill the swerve can be mastered with training and practice.

Candidates riding much faster than required, grabbing handfuls of front brake, falling off, missing the cones altogether; this all speaks of inadequate training.

I wish you luck flowerm4n, but you'll be most likely to succeed if you practice.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
flowerm4n

Jun 09

flowerm4n says:

commander crump

i believe youve hit the nail on the head!!

the instructor i trained with would not allow practice for the swerve manouvre as the conditions were not good and thier practice ground was not very safe.

so no practice .why was i dissapointed to fail?

went to another riding school on monday and they allowed me to practice on their site for two hours for £30.00

with two instructors accessing me and correcting any mistakes.

best £30.00 i've spent.!!

did this avoidence manouvre about twenty times on a 125cc slowly at first then steadily faster and faster.

every time i was able to do the avoidance part o.k.

i still struggled to get up to speed though as im a big bloke and was comming through the first cones about 25mph,but still accelerating through the speed trap.so its quite possible 30mph  was reached.

take my retest tomorrow on 500cc with much more confidence and knowing exactly what to expect.

to be honest i feel a bit let down by the original instruction how can they expect people to pass without the correct practice?

if i pass tomorrow ill thank the instructor but i think i will tell him exactly how i feel about not getting any practice for this part of the test.

Reply to this Topic
trainerphil

Apr 09

trainerphil says:

sort it buddy !

I totally agree mate you should have been able to practice the avoidance part and emergency stop parts.

I can't see how you were expected to pass without practicing and building uo the speed to even 30 mph.

I'm sure the school, even if they didnt have the room to practice on thier own cbt site could have found a lane or industrial estate with a dead end somewhere to practice.

This mod 1 test is about confidence at the end of the day and that can only be gained by practice.

Good luck for tomorrow mate and hope you pass it .

From what I am seeing at the mod 1 test center when people fail they are going up the gearbox on the bike far too early and having no accelleraion out of the sweep to meet the required speed through the speed device.

Reply to this Topic
ergf

Feb 09

ergf says:

they will have to

declare how many accidents there have been in the mod 1 if the information was requested using the freedom of information act.

Will be interesting to see what the figures are when requested.

Reply to this Topic
flowerm4n

Jun 09

flowerm4n says:

module 1

took mod 1 again thursday and passed with no minors

did mod 2 later in day but failed (not up to speed in national speed limit)60mph.

for some reason i believed 50mph on single lane carriageway was correct.

was this the speed limit in the past or am i just imagining this?

should have known better really though as i was instructed 60mph was limit during leasons(think i just was cautious as on test)

then not parking close enough to kerb when asked to pull over to side of road.didnt think i was out very far in road though!

even though i failed mod 2 i can retake this at a test centre less than 3 miles away rather than having to travel 30miles to the test centre where they do mod 1.

im quite happy as my riding and control was really good and although i failed i will correct parking and speed issues on next test due in about two weeks time.confident now with my riding and found i'm more aware when driving my other vehicles(car,van,limousine)

i believe motorcycle training has heightened my awareness of other vehicles and safety issues on the roads .

practice is the key to mod1 ,gaining confidence in the bike ,the speed and the manouvres. 

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices