Skip to content

General Shaft versus chain (for gizmobrain) General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Shaft versus chain (for gizmobrain)

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

vulcanrog

Oct 05

vulcanrog says:

Shaft versus chain (for gizmobrain)

I am now an expert ! :lol: ---- I have one bike with shaft drive (VN 1500 classic fi) & one with a chain drive (XJR 1300) the advantages are clear, shaft drive is by far the better form of final drive to the rear wheel. Why ? because today I lubricated the chain on my XJR 1300 & have no doubt that by the time I get to Plymouth tommorrow the left side of my currently spotless back wheel will have a film of grease to which all & sundry will stick  despite  my efforts to remove the excess, cenrifugal force will rule the day. today my wife & I rode to Padstow for lunch on the VN 1500, the back wheel is a little dusty but has no film of grease/bugs & shite stuck to it. If indeed gizzabreak is a 'PLIMUFF' boy as surveyor57 suspects I'll be at Jaspers aprox 10:00 hrs we can have a discussion re the pro & cons of chains n fings innit. (I'll be the one on the blue XJR 1300 with a slightly mucky back wheel)

Oh ! and I'm a ------------- BAB ! ---------- I'm 62 yrs old not crashed or caused any crashes, or to my knowledge held anyone up on a Sunday --------- may have done on a Saturday though ! if you see me on the A38 & I'm wobbling a bit it's just my colestomy bag's full & it unbalances the bike, steer clear it leaks now & then.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (29 May 2009 19:23)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
vulcanrog

Oct 05

vulcanrog says:

No show ---

or was it ? so come on gizzabreak what do you ride ? I vaguely remember you or was it grosvenor saying your dream bike is a Moto Guzzi Griso --- there was one parked up with the rider watching surveyor57 & myself leave the Plymouth lifestyle show, I had a feeling I was being was eyeballed :blink: was that you -------- in shorts, a flimsy shirt & trainers ? I mean that's what REAL bikers wear in the summer isn't it ? the XJR was looking good wasn't it ? & as for Richards fireblade well only another BAB could have a bike as clean as that ! :wink:

Reply to this Topic
vulcanrog

Oct 05

vulcanrog says:

See --he no answer

why he not speaka to us Mr Faulty ?

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

squeek squeek

obviously not a 'real man'  :smile

Reply to this Topic
Mjollnir

Aug 08

Mjollnir says:

fish ain't biting today

BTW there is no such force as centifugal force, only centripetal, cetrifugal force is slang for describing an effect.

*I thought if the shaft vs chain didn't work I'd start another debate ROFL*

Reply to this Topic
vulcanrog

Oct 05

vulcanrog says:

whirling roundy wheely things

In classical mechanics, centrifugal force is an outward force associated with curved motion, that is, rotation about some (possibly not stationary) center. Centrifugal force is one of several so-called pseudo-forces (also known as inertial forces), so named because, unlike fundamental forces, they do not originate in interactions with other bodies situated in the environment of the particle upon which they act. Instead, centrifugal force originates in the curved motion of the frame of reference within which observations are made.

So, is my shaft of my vulcan while revolving  creating cenrifugal force or centripetal force ? is centifugal or centripetal force limited to circular motion ? and can it be considered that the chain of my XJR is moving mainly in a circular motion as it  moves in the horizontal plane at the top & bottom AND in a circular motion at both sprockets ? I'm sure if he would answer gizzabreak in all his wisdom could answer this for me because it's going to keep me awake all night. I mean I know nothing being a mere mortal & a born again biker.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Mjollnir

Aug 08

Mjollnir says:

your shaft drive

would be creating centripetal force, as you rightly say the other is a pseudo-force.

However, this is made more complcated, by the point of origin of the force also being in motion.

:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
vulcanrog

Oct 05

vulcanrog says:

But where ---

is the point of origin  of the force ? is it the engine crankshaft ? is it the output shaft/sprocket from the gearbox ? is it the centre of the rear wheel ? and considering that whichever component of the whole machine is the point of origin for the force at times the whole machine is in motion as a whole, does the point of origin of the force change as the machine as a whole stops or moves off ? GOD !  where is  an expert like gizzabreak when you need him ?

Reply to this Topic
Tabasco

May 09

Tabasco says:

:lol::lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic
sgt61

Nov 05

sgt61 says:

shaft or cahin

the missus reckons both!!! Chained up and a damn good shaftin:lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic
gizzabreak

Apr 07

gizzabreak says:

Ah

and there speaks Smidget, a man who truely does know nothing at all about bikes, as he proved recently :lol:

I must say I feel quite flattered about all this interest in me.

Keep it coming :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices