You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > handle bar shaking

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

rayseanjo

Mar 09

rayseanjo says:

handle bar shaking

hello, i had a bit of a scare the other day on my bike, i have a ducati 748 sps 1998 and while i was riding it went over a tiny lump in the road.
the lump was a new piece of tarmack of about 5 meters long and from the old tar to the new there was a little lump and from the new to the old the same.
well, i came out of a corner and accelerated hard and while still a bit of an inclined i went over this bump and the handlebar started to shake quite strongly.
now why did this hapen? i have had a r6, gsx-r 1000, and aprilia mile, and this has never happend.
the stearing damper on the ducati is in good condition and i dont understand what went wrong, can someone help me please?
thanks. ray.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (04 June 2009 19:47)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
m1ks

Apr 09

m1ks says:

I'd

guess you merely had a 'small' tankslapper incident, you can't directly compare different machines albeit sports machines as unless they're the same model there are differences.
As you were accelerating strongly at the time this would back it up too.
Of course check basic things like the head bearings, pads for binding, wheel bearings and discs for warping too for peace of mind

Reply to this Topic
rayseanjo

Mar 09

rayseanjo says:

hi

hello, i did not know what to call it exactly but when you called it tank-slapper i typed it i to goole and a ton of tings came up on this subject.

that is exactly what happend. i dont know how to solve this problem, maybe a ajustable steering damper? to hadern the steering.

thanks for your reply.

Reply to this Topic
pup's

Apr 08

pup's says:

maybe

this sounds silly but have the wheel balance weights come off the front wheel :blink:

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

AND

The bikes getting a bit old 11 years,is it still on its original steering damper i know you say its good but how do you know??could still be working but not as strong as when it was new.I no its more of an expense but try fitting a Ohlins adjustable top yoke steering damper  http://www.harris-performance.com/

These things happen, i used to get tank slappers all the time when i road over there.Hit one of your cats eyes at full tilt and the bikes off like a demented wash machine:lol:

K.C.

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

Tyres

can be sensitive. I used to use Dunlop 207's and they used to be great on the bends, but v unstable at high speed, and used to get the odd "slapper". Also, having the back end jacked up doesn't help

Reply to this Topic
rayseanjo

Mar 09

rayseanjo says:

hi

thanks for you reply, and for the link you game me. i had a look at the öhlins steering dampers and they look the part but no cheep. a well, if it has to be it has to be, id rather spend 300 pounds on a damper the come of my bike,
thaks, take care.

Reply to this Topic
Karlasaki

Jul 08

Karlasaki says:

Doesn't have to be Ohlins

Sure, Ohlins is fab kit , but people like Matris, Sprint etc are just as good, just without the Gucci tag :sunglasses:. Also, you could save £££s by taking the current damper to someone like K-Tech, who will revalve it (good as new) for about £50. Up to you mate, but the revalve and service will be just as good as a new, shiny, expensive Ohlins. :smile

Reply to this Topic
rayseanjo

Mar 09

rayseanjo says:

damper

tell you the truth i was tempted, i was looking the matris which looks the bollocks, made out of titanium and special stuff which i dont understand and for a lot better price, but still, speaking to a lot o people they all say the best is öhlins. and if you can afford it, get it. so i dont know. thanks for you reply.

Reply to this Topic
rayseanjo

Mar 09

rayseanjo says:

damper

no mate, this was not that kind of shake, it was not a small vibration on the handle-bar. this was a fucking earth quake on the bike, jajajajaja. this was a tank-slapper for sure and a scary one. thanks.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices