Skip to content

General New bike; 600 to what? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > New bike; 600 to what?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DavidHopkins

Aug 03

DavidHopkins says:

New bike; 600 to what?

OK, time to change the bike.

I passed my Direct Access 5.5 years ago (30th birthday present to myself), rode a Suzuki GS500 for about a year and a half before buying a Yamaha FZ6 (naked) as my first big bike. I've had that from new since July 2005 and am staring to find I want more from my bike.

I've done over 25k miles on the FZ6, and about 11k miles on the GS500, as well as some advanced training (short of taking the test, but plenty of experience riding with and being assessed by advanced riders).

So, what next ... I want to go up to a bigger bike to find the next experience, but what to go for?

I really love the Triumph Speed Triple (I've riden my brothers 2001 955 Speed Triple on many occasions including a long weekend in northern France) which I've riden a few times on demo weekends frmo local dealer, and I like the Triumph Tiger. I like the Honda CB1000F and CB1000R but think the CBF1000 is better suited to my needs - commuter, weekend warrior, two-up riding (very very infrequently, but still a requirement).

I like the upright riding position, but not too upright. I've ridden the CBR600, the VFR800, the 675 Daytona and they just don't do it for me' too cramped or too lean-forward on my weak wrists.

I've not really seen anything else that I think fits the bill; nothing from Yamaha or Suzuki or Kwasaki.

Am I missing something? All (polite) suggestions please.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (09 June 2009 21:02)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
EasyNinja

Jul 05

EasyNinja says:

David

have u considered one of these lovely machines...

and they sound gorgeous with akropovics.. folowed 1 round scotland and its sounds lurvely

Reply to this Topic
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

New bike-decisions, decisions

Dave-it's up to you. You can sit down and reason through whats required or go out and buy some bling with your heart .........some wild animal of a bike. Ducati....... 

All the bikes you have mentioned are good have you thought of the FZ big brother? if that's your style. I have a VFR800 which is fine for me, so I blast to work on it and then just chugg home. It can carry a load for camping and is bullet proof.

Weak wrists are not an issue. If you balance not too far forward then the pressure is taken off your wrists making the journey comfortable. Just keep adjusting seating position until you are relaxed and comfortable.

Garry      

Reply to this Topic
DavidHopkins

Aug 03

DavidHopkins says:

Thanks

EastNinja - I have thought of that, but too much of a beast for me.

BaldE35 - I do like the FZ1 but when I rode it (2 yearsa go) I couldn't get on with the power delivery and seating positon. I don't know why but it just wasn't 'there' for me and how you sit on it.

Anyway, a good excuse to go try loads of bikes even if I have no intention of buying it .. yet!!

Thanks for help.

Reply to this Topic
canarlee

Aug 05

canarlee says:

um

bandit 1250 works for me:biggrin:

i should add that it does pretty much what you described and more, with the 1250 its all about the right wrist 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
DavidHopkins

Aug 03

DavidHopkins says:

Shiver

I'm not a huge fan of v-twins (although love teh sound of them) but I'm tempted by the new Aprillia Chiver 750GT

Reply to this Topic
DavidHopkins

Aug 03

DavidHopkins says:

FZ1 Fazer

Did it, bought an FZ1 Fazer at the weekend, take delivery on Friday.

Good deal; local Yam dealer selling 09 FZ1 and FZ1 Fazer at 2008 prices (£1400 cheaper than 09 prices) and got £2k for my FZ6 tradein - a little low but it does have 23k miles on it.

I would've gone for the FZ1 naked but it has a different back end that has no grab-rails, only the seat strap. The FZ1 fazer has a proper FZ6-style grab-rails, one each side. Much better.

Reply to this Topic
tsgv

Jan 09

tsgv says:

If you like the Speed triple then get one, lovely riding position plenty of usable power, give the 1050 a go and see what you think! 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices