Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Ducati Desmosedici vs. 1098R First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Ducati Desmosedici vs. 1098R

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Ducati Desmosedici vs. 1098R

The Ducati Desmosedici and 1098R are race replicas in the truest sense, but which is the fastest on track? Watch the video test to find out...   Video: Onboard the Ducati Desmosedici RR Video: Onboard the Ducati 1098R Read the full test in this week's MCN, on sale June 10.   Zoom & Watch more videos on MCN | TV http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1119137831http://www.brightcove.com/channel.jsp?channel=711881422 // By use...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (10 June 2009 09:51)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ChrisSYD

Nov 08

ChrisSYD says:

Tuff day at the office that Great camera work this time, the best one yet

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

pants review!

is that the best you could come up with??!!

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Expensive toys?

Oct 2008, absolutely stock gixxer thou k8, middle aged track virgin aboard, glorious 900m back straight at Almeria.  By day 2 we can just hit the 13750rpm rev limit in 4th, that's 170 mph, before braking for all it's worth.  Back home it doubles up as an all-weather bomb proof commuter.

June 2009, £40-50k worth of focussed Italian exotica, full time jockeys aboard, same straight: 160 mph. 

Got to give hand it to Ducati though, they both LOOK awesome.

Reply to this Topic
merv007

Dec 07

merv007 says:

yes but

these are not demo bikes they are someone else's pride and joy so its not like the MCN guys are going to be pushing for laptimes or top speeds (though i think down a runway both these - even the twin would better the GSXR). Look at British superstock - Smart on the podium with an 1198S never mind the 1098R which they banned

i have to say though that track is really not suited to showing what bikes like that can do. Get them to Phillip Island lol

fantastic onboards btw

Reply to this Topic
arthurbikemad

Aug 07

I agree it is a pants review..

Also if you think the D16RR and 1098/1198/S/R are good road race bikes why are there none at the TT?

Both are nice bikes for sure but I have rode many, D16RR and 09 Blades etc and for me it can only come down to the pride of owership that the Ducati can offer..the CBR1000/GSXR has to be much much more than the Ducati and the only reason Ducati owners dont have one is they are not seen to be objects of desire.

Reply to this Topic
merv007

Dec 07

merv007 says:

none at the TT

prob because they are seen as being expensive to run, and a general conservatism among "blue collar" racers that is suspicious of anything different or that isnt a jap four. though the TT isnt exactly the place where a twin would thrive. Having said that Ducati have had some decent results in road racing over recent years when a top team does have the balls to step forward and run something that bit different.

Reply to this Topic
Neevesy

Mar 05

Neevesy says:

Both Ducatis were indicating well over 180mph on that back straight. What you see on-screen is true, GPS speed. Motorcycle speedos are generally well on the optimistic side when you're going that fast, we see it all the time when we go to our testing ground at Bruntingthorpe performance testing.

Neevesy

Reply to this Topic
therealblankman

Jun 09

Wheel sizes.

I'm curious how the reviewers might justify changing the rear wheel size on the Desmosedici and then complain that the gearing was off?

Reply to this Topic
Neevesy

Mar 05

Neevesy says:

Wheel sizes

We put a 17-inch rear wheel on the Des so we could run it on sticky slicks, the same as the 1098R. Although the wheel size went up from 16 to 17-inch, the outside tyre diameter is the same, so it doesn't affect the gearing.

Neevesy

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

Lucky swine!!

Neevesy..you lucky F$%£in BAST£$D!!!!...i would dry bum the ladyboys of bangkok feckin bareback to have your job!! ;-0, good test all round, bet that desmo sounded amazing, me and the lads seen one at the stormy petral bike meet a couple of months back...lovely..

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices