Skip to content

Ask an Expert Tips for keeping your cool on the Mod 1? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Tips for keeping your cool on the Mod 1?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

squidgey

May 09

squidgey says:

Tips for keeping your cool on the Mod 1?

Hello

Failed my Mod 1 for the second time today :upset:

Can't explain it. I've been riding since last November, everything goes fine in practice and my instructor seem's to think I'll be fine on Mod 2, but when that gate closes behind me I seem to become a bag of nerves. Everything tightens up and my hands feel almost shakey with nerves.

Today I ballsed up the figure of 8. Can't remember much about it to be honest, but by all accounts I seemed to get a bit lost coming out the slalom leaving me with a less than ideal approach. Needless to say I ended up putting a foot down (followed by a loud shout of several expletives).

After today's cock up (and the swearing), I was given the option to continue or just exit the area. I opted to carry on as it's good practice. Once the pressure was gone, everything was a smoothe as it could be. I completed the figure of 8 and the rest of the course with no probs.

Anyone got any tips for staying calm when that gate closes behind you? I figure picturing the examiner naked won't work on this one (bleurgh!) :smiley:

Cheers

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (12 June 2009 17:18)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ryan46little

Sep 08

ryan46little says:

try talking to the examiner before hand, just think of them as another biker, they want you to pass.

Reply to this Topic
j19mills

May 09

j19mills says:

Just

Try and focus on the reason you're learning to ride... because riding motorbikes is fun.  You're doing this for yourself, you know you can do everything so just take a few deep breaths before you set off and relax, remember to keep the revs up and trust in the bike and you'll be fine.  Hell if I can get through Module 1 anyone can! lol

Reply to this Topic
Custard Tart

Nov 07

Custard Tart says:

Tips for keeping your cool on Mod1 ?

Aww, Squidgey. I know the feeling. I was a nervous wreck & also struggled with the figure 8. Among other things; clocked up 4 serious but no minors. Feel better now?! :laugh:  I blame them cones - they look damn scary from behind that gate.

There's no easy answer, but if you focus on the nerves it makes you do silly things (a la rabbit in headlights). I can only suggest focussing on the ride/task in hand. Easier said than done, I know. I've also had hypnosis, I'll let you know if that works when I go for 2nd attempt.

Out of interest, what size bike are you using ? I struggled like buggery on a 125, but a 500 is much easier to control at slow speed. Good luck next time, remember you CAN ride :laugh:

Reply to this Topic
thedenofslack

Jun 09

I just passed my test but failed the Part 1 the first attempt.  Like you the Part 1 had me much more nervous that the Part 2.  I really stuffed up the first time I practiced for the Part 1 which was why it had me nervous.  I failed the first time on slow riding (when it was the swerve that actually made me more nervous) and then followed my instructor all the way home filtering through traffic in town - that was annoying.

My advice would be,

Take your time, there is no rush.  I found it really helpful to just take a second to run through in my head what I needed to do next before i did it (like for slow riding, don't touch the front brake, use the back, plenty of revs etc.)

For the slow riding, look where you are going/at a point at the far end of the playground not at the examiner.  I did the figure of 8 nearly 3 times cos I was concentrating on where is was going and not at the examiner who was waving me over.

Also for the figure of 8 you don't have to do it tight round the cones, go wide and use as much space as you want (you are allowed to go around the last yellow cone in the slalom row.

Also - if you do dab a foot down just carry on like it never happened.  I put my foot down but he hadn't noticed it till I owned up after in his office (I'd failed already anyway so it made no difference).

Also you were right to carry on - my instructor had a guy learning about the same time as me who made a mistake near the end of his Part 2 and assumed he'd failed.  He rode back to the test centre not really trying only to be told that even though he'd made a mistake his riding till that point had been good and the mistake would have been overlooked if he hadn't ridden the rest of the way like a tit.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
wilsongrahams

Jun 09

Fail!

As you say you relaxed once you had already failed, you could assume you've already failed and then just get on with the rest. I may have done the old test but nerves are nerves. I thought I had screwed up at one point on the road and then just thought 'bugger, ah well what the heck carry on.' and I later found out I passed and only had a minor for my error - i think it was stalling or something...

DO NOT HAVE A SHOT OF WHISKY FOR THE NERVES! lol

Reply to this Topic
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

Mental rehearsal

can help. Find a quiet spot, shut your eyes and just picture yourself riding the bike around the course. I get very nervous when I have to perform in these sort of situations, so you're certainly not alone!

Reply to this Topic
squidgey

May 09

squidgey says:

D'oh!

Thanks to everyone for your support. 

I went to re-take the test today. I didn't pass, but I didn't fail either. :blink:

The riding school's bike's battery went flat just before I went out on the pad. . We managed to bump start the bike but of course after performing the 1st manouvre between the bays, it wouldn't restart. (I did ask if we could do that bit last but wasn't allowed).

Obviously my instructor was very apologetic. He'd ridden the bike to the test centre as I had to come from the other side of london direct from work and it had been ok. Unfortunately because of this we didn't have a spare.

At least I get the dubious honour of being the first person to have to wheel their bike off the pad for something other than the swerve manouver! :lol:

Oh well....it's all good fun...and it was lovely to get out the office for a few hours in the middle of the day! 

Reply to this Topic
stumpy50

Jun 09

stumpy50 says:

MOD 1

JUST PASSED MOD 1 TWO WKS AGO AT MY 2ND ATTEMPT. WHEN YOU GO IN & THE EXAMINER EXPLAINS WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO, TAKE A FEW DEEP BREATHS, LOOK AROUND  AT WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO AND THEN SET OF IN YOUR OWN TIME AND LOOK WHERE YOU WANT THE BIKE TO GO AND NOT AT THE BIKE. I DID IT AND I ONLY HAVE ONE LEG AND I JUST PASSED PART 2 YESTERDAY ON A MANUAL BIKE. (900cc CRUISER). YOU CAN DO IT, DONT GIVE UP..:smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
tsgv

Jan 09

tsgv says:

i find replaying funny videos off youtube in my head works wonders or some of the classics from Family Guy, so when im nervous i start giggling :laugh:

Reply to this Topic
Mikeinho

Jan 09

Mikeinho says:

Pass... but not 1st time

I found that if I didn't give a hoot about passing, then my nerves totally disappeared.

The fact that it took me 3 attempts had nothing to do with nerves; rather I made 2 mistakes that I had never made before.

The 1st time I locked the back wheel, and the 2nd time I clipped a cone (honest guv... I didn't see it!!).

Good luck mate, you'll fly it next time.

:wink:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle