Skip to content

Ask an Expert Tips for keeping your cool on the Mod 1? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Tips for keeping your cool on the Mod 1?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

squidgey

May 09

squidgey says:

Tips for keeping your cool on the Mod 1?

Hello

Failed my Mod 1 for the second time today :upset:

Can't explain it. I've been riding since last November, everything goes fine in practice and my instructor seem's to think I'll be fine on Mod 2, but when that gate closes behind me I seem to become a bag of nerves. Everything tightens up and my hands feel almost shakey with nerves.

Today I ballsed up the figure of 8. Can't remember much about it to be honest, but by all accounts I seemed to get a bit lost coming out the slalom leaving me with a less than ideal approach. Needless to say I ended up putting a foot down (followed by a loud shout of several expletives).

After today's cock up (and the swearing), I was given the option to continue or just exit the area. I opted to carry on as it's good practice. Once the pressure was gone, everything was a smoothe as it could be. I completed the figure of 8 and the rest of the course with no probs.

Anyone got any tips for staying calm when that gate closes behind you? I figure picturing the examiner naked won't work on this one (bleurgh!) :smiley:

Cheers

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (12 June 2009 17:18)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
squidgey

May 09

squidgey says:

Hurrah!

Finally got there yesterday!. :biggrin:

I think previously I'd get worked up about a specific manouver and once I'd completed it the sense of relief was impeding my focus, as usually it was the next manouver where I'd cock up. Silly boy.

Several deep breaths and few seconds to sort my head before each manouvre really helped slow every thing down and maintain focus on the task at hand.

The whole thing seemed to fly by and after the emergency stop and the examiner turned to me and said I'd been successful I think I said, "ohhh..you're a complete star!". :huh: I blame adrenaline, but at that point it was probably a good job I had a helmet on. 

Anyhoo, it might have taken a while but I got through with no minors and I'm booked in for Mod 2 next Thursday.

I'd like to thank everyone again for your input, comments and support! Hopefulyl next week won't be nearly as traumatic...touch wood.

Reply to this Topic
Mikeinho

Jan 09

Mikeinho says:

Congrats!!!

Well done!! Everyone gets there in the end... even me.

I ended up sitting Mod-1 3 times, and Mod-2 3 times. I just passed the other day, and it's the best feeling.

Tip for Mod-2... if you have the time before your test, get out on the bike for a good couple of hours, then take a break of about 20 mins before you walk into the test centre. When you go out on test, just treat it as a continuation of your earlier ride.

My first 2 attempts were not bad, but not good enough to pass as I made stupid mistakes each time. Both times, I pretty much jumped on the bike and sat the test within minutes of the start of the day.

On my 3rd and final attempt, I went on a long ride with my instructor and another lad. We just went for a good 'ol cruise until we reached the test centre, then chilled out for a bit. I was much more settled on the bike, and really just relaxed and enjoyed the ride as if I wasn't even on test.

Had already bought a big bike, so all I had to do was get my insurance sorted, and that was me. I think it's a love affair that'll never end, and I'm constantly distracted now by the thoughts of going out on my next ride.

Anyway, good luck with Mod-2. If you got a buzz after passing Mod-1, then just you wait...

:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
tj2k

Jul 09

tj2k says:

NERVES!

I failed my mod 1 for the second time today. For the same, identical reason I failed my 1st one. When the gate closed, I was a little conscious of dropping the bike on the manual handling (I know - silly eh?), anyway, half way around backing the bike from the 1st bay into the 2nd bay (right hand on back of bike, left hand on handle bar clutch side) I almost tilted the bike too far over and momentarily struggled to stop the bike from toppling over. I managed to keep the bike under control and parked it safely. At that point in the test, I was breathing very heavily (as if I'd just run for 100m!). I'd Lost my nerve - as I then went on to the next exercise, through the 1st cone of the slalom & put my foot down. Can't quite describe what happened, I just recall putting my foot down. Well, today on test number 2, I this time held the bike by both side of the handle bars, put the bike in the bay no problem (mentally telling myself, "there you go, done!"), kicked the side stand down, stood the bike up and moved my hands away. At that point, the bike fell toward me as I obviously hadn't kicked the stand down enough (I've never failed to do that properly before). Anyway, I caught the bike before it hit the ground and kicked the stand down properly. Again, not getting any minor's for that (skin of my teeth), I went onto the the slalom. Guess what? Through the 1st cone, put my foot down :upset::upset::upset::upset:

On both occasions, I went on to compete all of the other exercises (1st time for both swerve & emergency stop, with ample speed etc.)  - perfectly (no other minors / majors). I'm thoroughly disgusted with myself! Twice, for exactly the same effective mistakes.

I only wish that putting your foot down there was regarded as a minor and not a major. 

Need to somehow relax and drop the nerves but I really can't describe the frustration I'm feeling :upset:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Gurmit731

Jun 09

Gurmit731 says:

Mod 1 Nerves

I just passed my mod 1 this morning with one minor (slow control).
I was too slow on the swerve the first time around, second time I didn't swerve at all ( did an emergency stop), fortunately the examiner was good enough to give me a third go and I nailed it.
I smiled as much as I could throughout the test; a big open mouthed grin, which helped me from tensing up. I paid for the test so why not enjoy it?!
:biggrin::biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
tj2k

Jul 09

tj2k says:

Nerves & Tips

Congrats on passing mate - extremely lucky on 3 times around - well done though mate!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices