Skip to content

Ask an Expert Chewing tyres.... Suspension

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Suspension > Chewing tyres....

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DOMPWRSLIDE

Jun 09

DOMPWRSLIDE says:

Chewing tyres....

Hi, i have a maxton rear shock on my GSXR 1000 k3, it holds a line, gives me confidence but in 3 sessions at a trackday it will cut a groove out of the rear tyre where im on the lean and on the gas. The suspension is very firm front and rear and feels fine but the tyre is distroying itself! It was set up when i raced perfect but it needs a tweak or 2.  Can anyone help?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (14 June 2009 17:35)

Post a message in Suspension

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

groovy

Only being a novice:unsure:it sounds like your back end is bouncing,whats your tyre pressures on track day and temp after a session,?

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

what type of tyres

sounds like either your running harder rubber which is overheating or your suspension requires setting up, this will tear your tyre up

Reply to this Topic
DOMPWRSLIDE

Jun 09

DOMPWRSLIDE says:

tyres

running 30psi front and rear, the back is slightly to soft which i have found out.  What temp should it be, suppose depends on weather 2.

Reply to this Topic
MrButterscotch

Jul 09

tyre temps

Not a bike racer yet, but I've been known to have a bash at a few 4 wheeler races, and optimal tyre temp will totally depend on your rubber.  You'll need to find out the tolerance ranges for the set that you have on.  If you're on a track day, organisers should be able to record and tell you what kind of temps the track is reaching.

I've no idea what kind of bike you're doing or your average lap times, but is it possible that 3 sessions of a track day is all that your tyres will survive?  As I say, I can only go off my car experience, but a similar amount of hard sessions in an Ferrari F430 destroyed the tyres.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices