Skip to content

Discuss This 'Radical measures' under investigation to cut TT road crashes General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > 'Radical measures' under investigation to cut TT road crashes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

'Radical measures' under investigation to cut TT road crashes

The increase in accidents on the Isle of Man during the TT fortnight will see ‘radical measures’ being investigated to cut them next year warns the Isle of Man Transport Minister. Figures just released by the Isle of Man police show road traffic collisions (RTCs) increased in number during TT 2009 but were less severe overall than in previous years. Head of...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (17 June 2009 15:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
OTimms

Mar 09

OTimms says:

Not a bad Stat

Personally, the way people ride at the TT I'm surprised more people don't get hurt.

Anything to improve safety should be commended BUT the H&S boys should be careful not to homogenise the event into a cotton wool rally where we all go round in an orderly queue at no more than 30MPH wearing 5*SHARP rated helmets and 'Rossi' style air bags as compulsary.

The attraction of the TT is its querky speed limits and relatively perilous roads and every visitor going knows the risks and accepts them. So while any scheme to help safety is good, please Douglas don't go overboard and follow the UK HSE in taking personal responsibility away from the common man and forcing us to conform to a set of beaurocratic rules.

How about producing an advice DVD, delivered with the ferry tickets. This could highlight some of the more dangerous spots of the island and advise people of the mountain etiquette; giving simple advice to people who don't do track days, advanced riding etc. - one of the main issues I found was slower/pillion riders swerving from the tighter lines when intimidated by bigger bikes behind. This is what causes accidents, heavy braking and confusion. Surely this could prevent some of those 9 mountain accidents and can be achieved without a risk assessment or new law or regulation or fine or points complicating things.

Any opinions welcome...

Reply to this Topic
OTimms

Mar 09

OTimms says:

PS

Before you anyone complains I'm not blaming slow/pillion riders for crashes, its usually the twats going too fast behind them.

Reply to this Topic
stanleyknife

Jun 09

stanleyknife says:

It's all about the numbers

Let's get this into persepective - the fact that there have been less fatal incidents means that the safety measures already in place and adopted for this year's TT have worked in bringing down the number of deaths.

However, I can understand their worry because the number of non-fatal incidents has increased. These accidents could be viewed as 'near-misses' - in other words, incidents that could have proven fatal with a subtle change in variables such as, the bike moving an inch further to the left etc.

What I am keen to know though is this - is the percentage increase based on the number of accidents linked to the number of people present on the island at the time of the TT? If it isn't, then the figures are meaningless. More people must statiscally mean more accidents. It's the overall rise (or drop) in the percentage that needs to be reported. (Look at the number of accidents in 2007, the Centenary year - 117: an increase on this years figure).

Reply to this Topic
shamone46

May 08

shamone46 says:

Still

Well worth it but:)

Reply to this Topic
keith24

Jul 04

keith24 says:

TT i won't bother

if i want to see the TT from now on i wil watch it on telly , i have been going for years and it has always been the appeal along with racing that you coudl give yoru bike some stick on god roads ... and now with a speed limit on the mountain this year that the final straw , i won't be going again ...i wonder how many of the acciedents where casued by the twats who go out there to get pissed ???

good bye TT and thanks for the good days .. poxy fun police spoil everything ...and the the pissed up twats ( you know who you are )

Reply to this Topic
wings1372

Aug 02

wings1372 says:

Keith24 you've got the wrong attitude. The TT is a motorsport event. I went this year and a few before to watch the racing, like many others. I like to ride around the mountain with no limit but its not the main reason I go and would still go if you couldnt ride it. I go to many other bike motorsport events, like BSB and I'm more than happy to pootle there at the speed limit and watch awesome riders go faster than I can even dream of and not ride the track. The TT is the same for many others including me. In fact this year we left the bikes at the hotel on a few occasions and got taxi's to watch from the Crosby, the Creg, Quarterbridge and in Ballaugh so we could have a beer and enjoy the racing. For me the TT is about the racing not my riding. I very much doubt that you can substantiate your claim that people crashing have had a drink.

If you really want to ride the track with no speed limits then enter the race, simples...

Reply to this Topic
mudtoadtt

Jan 09

mudtoadtt says:

TT crashes

I have been going to the TT and some manx gps for the last 10years. this year there was a sign at ramsey hairpin saying "use your mirrors", good advice ,but pointless to the idiots with no mirrors who weave all over the road thinking they are fast. no mirrors no mountain rd,sounds fair. The signs in german saying keep left should be in english also, some riders ride on the right just because they can, rather than for  passing or taking decent line.I am sure some riders think it is "one way "round the whole island juding by there blind overtaking.I love the TT and want to see it continue untouched by dogooders,

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle