You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > flip front helmet

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

knowledgeboy

Jun 09

knowledgeboy says:

flip front helmet

hi i am a new rider and bought a flip front helmet, what is the legal stance with riding your bike with the flip up so it becomes an open face. is this legal or not. i know that this will offer less protection in the event of an accident but someitmes it just gets too hot. thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (19 June 2009 08:57)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
wilsongrahams

Jun 09

Hmmm

Don't quote me in a court of law but I believe it's the same as for a visor - it has to not impair the rider in any way. Otherwise it's no different to having a helmet that's open faced anyway. Though I'd recommend you closed it before you got anything over 30 just for the drag and strain on your neck that would cause.

Reply to this Topic
knowledgeboy

Jun 09

knowledgeboy says:

flip front helmet

many thanks

Reply to this Topic
AllTheGoodNamesWereGone

May 09

Flip Top Lids

My instructor said "You will invalidate your insurance if the lid is not fully closed down once you have moved off".

These lids are excellent for despatch riders who then don't have to remove the lid at each stop, but other than that.............

Reply to this Topic
parapanfan

Apr 06

parapanfan says:

The manufacturer's recommendation is to ride with the face-piece locked down.

It does not perform at its intended optimum whilst open.

A face-plant will be just as devastating as with an open faced helmet.

Your choice.

Reply to this Topic
m1ks

Apr 09

m1ks says:

Unless

Specified by the manufacturer that it affords legal levels of protection with the flip raised then it's not legal and will not offering the safety it can.
That said when plodding through villages at 30 ish I have done this often and never been questioned regarding it's legality, (mainly because people are used to seeing open face helmets in use.

There is to my knowledge only one which is approved and legal to ride flipped open as it locks open, I don't recall the name offhand but flick through MCN or bike magaziner and likely you'll find it.

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

Strictly speaking

its illegal to ride with the front up, although I do when in traffic or filtering and its hot.

Strictly speaking its illegal to speed, but we do!:lol:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Imagine

What would happen if, with the lid up and sticking out 8 inches in front of your forehead, you were to faceplant the road.

How'd you think your neck would go? Snap or crunch?

Reply to this Topic
stokiejack

Jan 09

stokiejack says:

flip front helmet

Helmets are sooo tricky, I saw a lady pillion ride off from the Cat and Fiddle last weekend with hers on back to front - visa over her neck....classic!!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
gizzabreak

Apr 07

gizzabreak says:

Flip fronts

The issue here is how it's tested.

My Caberg flip up is tested with the front down, as a full faced lid.

If I ride with it open, I am effectively riding with an open faced lid, which it has not been tested as, and therefore invalidating my insurance as regards any injury I might sustain.

There are flip up lids that are legal to ride open.

The Roof Boxer, the new Shark Integral and the latest BMW helmet, which has a removable chin bar.

These are legal to ride open, as they are tested as open faced lids, and not full faced.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices