Skip to content

Riding & events Module 1 swerve danger Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Riding & events > Riding Skills > Module 1 swerve danger

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Big Ian  says:

Module 1 swerve danger

Having just taken and failed the Module 1 test(14-06-09), I would like to share my thoughts on the issue. I am in my fifties with 34 years accident-free car driving experience. Many years ago I rode mopeds, scooters and a new 1975 Honda CB200, which was a very good all round machine. However now I find myself restricted to a 125cc as...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (19 June 2009 11:01)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Fatbaldbouncer

Jul 09

Module 1

Spot on Ian.................I failed my Module 1 on Wednesday after 3 days of training and £500 lighter!!!

Taking it again on Wednesday.............really need to pass as I'm itching to get on my newly purchased Street Triple.  The speed trap got me, I'm in a playground full of cones and I'm expected to go full throttle coming out of the bend  in order to reach the desired speed then concentrate on when the guy in front of me is going to put his hand in the air. I slid, stayed on the machine but gave it too much back brake. Thing is the brain goes into overdrive and panic sets in. Its not exactly a real life senario, I mean how often am I going to have to concentrate on am I at the right speed for the car to pull out on me!!

It was a long journey home in front of my instructor who exclaimed " you've showing me nothing that should suggest you shouldnt be on the road" - All I need do now is show him another £200 and retake my test next Wednesday.

I can conclude that the whole day  passed at the test centre without one new full bike license being issued. Maybe this is secretly what the ministry is trying to do. And whats next, no learners allowed on the road by themselves!!!..............

Well wish me luck for Wednesday next week , if I fail again thats it as I'll be skint!!!

Remember your life savers

stay safe

Lee

Reply to this Topic
Dan09

Jul 09

Dan09 says:

mod 1

Yeah well - seems experiences are varying on this one. I passed first time, both Mod 1 and 2 with no training at all and no practice runs on a version of the Mod 1 lay out, or knowledge of the test routes on Mod 2. 2 minors per module. Not boasting, just want to counter some of the scaremongering about how difficult the new bike test is. I did it on a 125 mind, and now have a 33bhp restricted license, but personally I think that's a wise way to go, as the step up to a bigger bike - I got a 650 Bandit - was a quite a step, and I just don't need the full 80 odd horses at this point, 33 gives me all the speed and acceleration I can handle for now. So, do a bit of research, check the DSA website for the lay out, practice slow control in an empty car park, and get really comfortable out on the roads on your usual learner bike, then take the test on that, my advice, for what it's worth. Only other thing to add, specifically about the swerve exercise, is I had to rev the hell out of the 125 to get it up to speed in the space you're given, having got the pegs downs on the curve! Safe? I dunno, but doable, and fun, actually. Had to use both my chances too - 48 kmh first time, 56 second...

Reply to this Topic
tijran

Sep 09

tijran says:

MODULE ONE

Just passed Module One last week. Did it on a 125. Managed 55 kph on the swerve and 59 khp on the emergency stop, both on the first attempt. No minors. People really need to start understanding that there is nothing difficult or dangerous about Module One.

Reply to this Topic
robbridge08

Nov 08

robbridge08 says:

i agree

i too have taken the module one test recently and thought it was a doddle as long as you get some practise on the slow riding manouvers you have more or less cracked it although i do think the dsa should be concentrating more on post rider training like learning how to corner, proper road positioning and all the valuble little things they dont teach you on your test something like the bike safe course the coppers do, never mind riding round a few poxy cones theese are the real skills you need to keep safe and stay alive!!

Reply to this Topic
lepepo

Oct 09

lepepo says:

Module 1

Just took the test for the 2nd time. Failed again, but this time instead of hitting the cones in the swerve manouver, i just could not manage to clock faster than 47 kmh's

So I've this to say: the first time, if you havent done any practice, it will seem like a sea of cones. If you are looking at the speedometer this will make it worse

The second time it does seem like it's just a light swerve and not that dangerous. But how reach the 50 kmhs? (Im 17 st ) What will help? I'd  appreciate opinions on the following:

- higher octane petrol?
- a bit of acetone in the tank?
- redex?
- choke on?

Reply to this Topic
Headlongrush

Nov 09

Headlongrush says:

Mod 1

Although I've been driving a car for 28 years, I've only just got round to bike lessons. With the CBT under my belt and 3 lessons on a 500cc, my instructor thinks I'm competent enough to go for the Mod 1. I was lucky enough to have a practice at the test centre yesterday and had checked out You Tube to get some idea of what is was like (well worth doing!). Anyway, got to the test centre and felt quite confident, recognising the layout. Slalom, figure of eight, slow riding were all fine but getting my speed high enough to do the swerve test was beyond me. I tried about 10 times, managed to get 47kph on the swerve and 50kph on the emergency stop at the last attempt.

I agree with Ian, in that it felt like I wasn't in control and it just felt dangerous to go belting along at full throttle towards an obsticle that has caused several nasty injuries.

Is this test really about safety?

Reply to this Topic
daj39

Nov 09

daj39 says:

Mod 1

I have my mod 1 test in 2 weeks... i am a bit concerned about the swerve test why have a left circuit as most incidents ( ie car doors etc,) will occur on a riders left and not on the right. i too have heard alot of stories about this and starting to doubt my own abilities but i can't think this all about money and keeping people off the road rather than under the banner of " safety " rode a 125cc for 2 years, car for 20 years and a moped for 2 years not a single accident hope this test won't catch me out......

Reply to this Topic
JustChillOut

Jul 09

JustChillOut says:

Mod 1

Never mind the reality of when this situation could occur in the real world. This is a test of someone's ability to safely control the machine under demanding circumstances. Don't forget that once both modules have been passed you can legally ride a bike of any size or power (even a 2.3L 150+bhp Triumph Rocket if you can afford the insurance!) and given that, I don't think the module 1 test is too much to ask in terms of skill.

Being able to comfortably corner at speed, spot your exit and accelerate smoothly is a very important skill and the swerve is only a couple of feet off of the line through the gate. Admittedly this may be a challenge for someone who only did their CBT a few days earlier but in a game where inexperience contributes to so many accidents it is no bad thing to discourage people from rushing to get their licence as quickly as possible.

I did my CBT and then over a year (10,000+ miles) on a 125 before I did mod 1 and I honestly couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Personally I wouldn't have wanted to learn any other way.

Reply to this Topic
changoman

Jul 05

changoman says:

Module 1 swerve danger

Hi, I am the proud owner of a Yamaha Virago 125cc, my bike it’s so beautiful I actually named her “Angelina”. I’ve been riding my bike for 3 years and never bother to do the test, I have done 2 CBT’s and never gave too much importance to the whole full license thing, I have driven to Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona, Rome, etc on this bike loving every moment of it. 3 months ago, I thought was time to move on and start to ride a bigger bike so I book my theory test, I passed that with no problems, Then I booked my module one test 2 months ago and i failed it!. I drove for 1 hour and a half to that test center, I did all the silly exercises they ask you to do except the killer swerve!!! I thinks its Impossible for my bike to reach 50k with in such a short distance. Max speed was 42 pushing it to the top. I dont have money to rent another bike so that is not an option and neither is giving up!!! so for the last month I start to stripped off everything in my bike that can add extra weight, I have taken off the crashing bars, saddle bags, front roll, passenger foot pegs, passenger seat, extra tools, Front fender, less than half tank of petrol, etc, etc. I have been running every morning and I have loose 1kg!!! plus i have been practicing at the sainsbury car park in the middle of the night till someone calls the police because of the noise, but still a good hour practice. I dont know if I am going to pass the test with Angelina, but I am not giving up, I have to pass this time!. My test is on wednesday. wish me luck! Changoman

Reply to this Topic
GeorgeJungle

Aug 11

GeorgeJungle says:

Mod1 not difficult?

It *is* very challenging on a 10 bhp 125 cc motorbike if you are 15 stone. "I am alright jack, haul the ladder up". I have failed FOUR times, always insufficient speed. 48 (which would of been a pass 2 weeks later) , 47 , 47. Now we have a 5% margin which allows a pass (with riding fault) at 48 kmph. I have started a group on meetup.com to practice on Sundays in a disused North London carpark. If you already have a full license and dont see what the fuss its about, I'll wager you £50 for Cancer Research that you cant pass it first time.... http://www.meetup.com/London-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Module-1-Practice-group/

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices