Skip to content

Discuss This Norton sets price of Commando 961 at £15,995 New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Norton sets price of Commando 961 at £15,995

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Norton sets price of Commando 961 at £15,995

Norton has set the price of its new Commando 961 at £15,995 with the first of the pre-production bikes expected to be built at the end of July. The Commando is the first bike the newly-British owned firm will be selling and represents the end of the work started on the parallel twin machine by the previous American owner Kenny Greer. Norton...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (19 June 2009 14:24)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
sj_edinburgh

Apr 04

sj_edinburgh says:

Great looking bike

.. but at nearly twice the price of a Speed Triple, can't see many buying it for that sort of money.

Reply to this Topic
DaveyM

Aug 03

DaveyM says:

I think they've shot themselves in the foot with the price, they have automatically removed 3/4 of their potential customers.  I've just ridden the new Aprilia RSV4 and at £15,120 there is no comparison.

Reply to this Topic
riler

Apr 09

riler says:

So what they are basically saying is "This bike is a gimmick we've had passed on to us - who has more money than sense?"

For that money, you could buy a triumph, ohlinify it and still have change.

It's a shame, perhaps one day the 'norton' marque will be picked up by someone other than day-dreaming schoolboys.

Reply to this Topic
hjworton

Aug 02

hjworton says:

Sadly, this whole charade will end in failure. The bike is a cracker, I am sure. I have been following it's development since I first read about the previous owners in the USA in MSL. £16k is a serious amount of money to 99% of the bike buying public. Your desire to own a 'new' Norton would have to be at fever-pitch to pay that sort of money. Just think what else you could afford for the same amount. Even Bimotas come into play at that level ! The other point is: Is the £16k for the full Ohlins model ? One would hope so... Finally: Dear Norton UK, just in case you were unaware of the fact, there is a Global Recession on. Thankyou and goodnight.

Reply to this Topic
bob the builder

Feb 03

Sadly I wont be buying one. Too rich for the ordinary guy in the street.

Would have liked one though, will need a lottery win to get one now.

Methinks they might have to review this price, then again maybe not.

There`s a lot of people out there that will buy at any price

Reply to this Topic
toe_down_sv_racing

Jan 08

It Will Sell

They look so good and cost around as much as you'd expect for a low-capacity line of bikes

I have doubts over the superbike though....

Reply to this Topic
wings1372

Aug 02

wings1372 says:

I saw the bike at the TT in the show room and it didnt look particularly great, even my Dad wasn't impressed and he has an orignal. £16k is way overpriced, ohlins or not. The suspension does not cost that much, it even had regular forks not USD, Ohlins R&T USD and a pair of shocks wouldn't set you back more than £3k. My Dad's 1972 Norton Commando 850 looks much nicer and a similar vintage in mint condition would not set you back £16k. I expect Norton will soon go bankrupt again. As for the non starter rotary race bike, hell knows what they will expect for one of those but if you would part with more than £500 (five hundred) for a rotary engined bike with zero pedigree then you're a fool. The TT effort was a complete failure.

Reply to this Topic
arnunn

Jul 06

arnunn says:

Shame, a missed opurtunity. If it was priced to sell it would, but its priced to be collectted and not to be used. Guess too may accountants are involved.

Bye Bye Norton

Reply to this Topic
EdinburghFalco

Mar 09

Can't see this price attracting any great volume of sales, they have priced it beyond the average biker and alienated a whole group of people who would have been interested if it had been a sensible price. Don't see the company lasting a year, they should just sell it to Bloor so he can show them how to price and market bikes that sell

Reply to this Topic
tashe

Jun 09

tashe says:

commando

HERE we go again! 16000 they got to be kidding, this is ENGLAND not palm beach" I hope no one buys it serves them right. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices