Skip to content

Discuss This Opinion: Time to remove our loud pipes General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Opinion: Time to remove our loud pipes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Kevin Ash  says:

Opinion: Time to remove our loud pipes

MCN columnist Kevin Ash stirred up a hornets’ nest when he said motorcyclists should give up on loud exhausts. Here are the edited highlights of his comments – MCN would be interested in what you think... The pressure on police forces and councils around the country to ‘do something’ about motorcycles doesn’t come from accident rates, and is little to do...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (24 June 2009 10:36)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
vitesse7749

Nov 08

vitesse7749 says:

Pipe up

Yah that's it cave in on all fronts. Unless we rid this nation of nano nannies we will all be riding twiddle bits down the road. Speed nazis noise nazis parking nazis bus lane nazis, what next? Somewhere some how we must get our back bone back. Stop sniveling and get out there and vote, demonstrate, write complain . Screw the worms that worship the leaf and mud and silence. No more control over our lives!!! I say open them suckers up and let's hear you.

Reply to this Topic
vitesse7749

Nov 08

vitesse7749 says:

Pipe up

Yah that's it cave in on all fronts. Unless we rid this nation of nano nannies we will all be riding twiddle bits down the road. Speed nazis noise nazis parking nazis bus lane nazis, what next? Somewhere some how we must get our back bone back. Stop sniveling and get out there and vote, demonstrate, write complain . Screw the worms that worship the leaf and mud and silence. No more control over our lives!!! I say open them suckers up and let's hear you.

Reply to this Topic
vitesse7749

Nov 08

vitesse7749 says:

Pipe up

Reply to this Topic
tinktonk

Jan 09

tinktonk says:

Ego

Something to think about, all the 'it's my right to annoy other people' types. Well, it's their right to annoy you too - by removing your right to deafen them. The difference is that sense is on their side, so they will win. The question is that when they win, what other of your freedoms will be taken at the same time? Probably one that is more important than making a pointless amount of noise. Freedoms are only likely to remain a freedom as long as they don't impinge on anyone else's right of freedom. Think about it.

Reply to this Topic
slaveunit

Aug 02

slaveunit says:

Victimisation

I dont complain when my neighbor is mowing the lawn at 8am on a sunday, I dont complain when some chav in a saxo goes past with the bass cranked up, I dont complain that the local school has an outdoor opera concert once a year, I dont complain that the nearby farm makes the entire town smell like arse for 2 weeks, I dont even complain when people drive like idiots (as I just expect it nowadays)..

..so these people can just leave me alone. It's intolerence to other people that has got this country turned into a PC nightmare, and if people just let people get on with their own lives the place would be that much easier to live in.

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

noisy cans

I recall in my younger day buying some expansion chambers for my old suzuki GT 380 triple nice bike but no good for today two stroke and all.

Times have moved on, I would much rather be listening to my bike's music stereo nowadays than listening to my exhaust system making me go temp deaf.

Perhaps that is the problem, cars come fitted with music systems most bikes don't even though the vehicles cost around the same price in many instances sometimes a lot more than a new car but either way even the cheapest cars come fitted with a cheap stereo but bikes don't.

So perhaps if bike companies fitted a decent stereo on the bikes as standard many people wouldn't want to listen to their exhaust systems any more and find something more entertaining to listen to instead.

But i wonder if people would complain about that next , so far i get no complaints only from car drivers unable to hear the person on the other end of their phone while it is clamped to their ear at traffic lights, i usually just point out they shouldn't be using the thing anyway as it is against the law, that usually shuts them up.

Reply to this Topic
kawarablue

Feb 06

kawarablue says:

Noisy Cans & Democracy

We live in a democracy, which is good - you can express your views on all sorts of things and very strongly just like here and not get beaten up and chucked in some grotty jail for doing so. Democracy works on votes as we all know; Got lots of these, GREAT; not many - Oh? Regardless of the views expressed here, the democtratic odds are overwhelmingly against us. Make enemies and not friends and we'll simply lose regardless of how much we rant and rave. To ignore such staggeringly obvious statistics is to be as blind to reality as the muppet car driver who wipes you out claiming he didn't see you even in your dayglow jacket and million watt headlight!  Loud pipes do annoy a lot of people - I guess we'll find out how many in the fullness of time, but I would not be betting on a good outcome for us.

Reply to this Topic
tsgv

Jan 09

tsgv says:

To behonest im sitting on the fence with this, loud legal cans i see no problem with, your bike is your pride and joy and they do sound great. But the problem ill always find is that Harley bikes have a lovely low grumble note rather than the power rangers who have a really high pitched whine that is the problem. the Harley noise is more pleasing on the ears and that is why coppers will never touch them for the noise level, that is why parents point at the bikes and smile at their kids. 

If you ride through a town in second reving the bike you will piss everyone off knock it up a gear and just tootle along. People are oblivious to what is going on around them iphones/ stereos as people have said if people cannot see/ hear a big red truck with lights and an air horn on the front then loud pipes will make naff all difference. 

we need to make friends around the country not wind people up, as at the end of the day bikers will loose out to the public and county councils, its not your right to have loud cans, its not your right to ride like your hair is on fire, it is not your right to have a bike. 

So lets start making jo public more friendly to us, we always make out that we as bikers are the victims but there are always 2 sides to an argument and dont you think that sometime we are in the wrong and the mentallity of some people on here like "f*ck em, f*ck you you old b@stard, ill ride how i like" isnt winning us any friends

Rant over lol :ph43r: 

Reply to this Topic
mr zulu

Mar 07

mr zulu says:

whats next????

" The question is that when they win, what other of your freedoms will be taken at the same time? Probably one that is more important than making a pointless amount of noise"

So lets roll over and let them get a ban on our pipes,because then they will" stop". will they heck as like.loud pipes are not a problem,maybe annoying but, so the what.i tell you what lets ban everything that annoys everyone and lets see whats left.YOU SHORT SIGHTED PRICKS.

Reply to this Topic
ndawson

Apr 05

ndawson says:

loud pipes

screaming bikes, loud pipes, tunnels, animals running in fear, heads turning in awe and shock, small children crying, old people actually being able to hear something!!! and you want to give this all up? what are you a VFR rider?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices