Skip to content

Discuss This Opinion: Time to remove our loud pipes General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Opinion: Time to remove our loud pipes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Kevin Ash  says:

Opinion: Time to remove our loud pipes

MCN columnist Kevin Ash stirred up a hornets’ nest when he said motorcyclists should give up on loud exhausts. Here are the edited highlights of his comments – MCN would be interested in what you think... The pressure on police forces and councils around the country to ‘do something’ about motorcycles doesn’t come from accident rates, and is little to do...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (24 June 2009 10:36)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
75jmr

Jun 09

75jmr says:

Louder = Safer

As far as I'm concerned loud cans are an aid to rider safety. Fair enough people don't want to listen to loud bikes howling past their houses all weekend, but... would they rather be there looking at some poor sod being scraped off the road after being bounced off his bike?

We all know that most car drivers are fairly poor at looking out for bikes, regardless of the fact that most of us ride with our lights on.

If their eyes are not up for the job then we should be using other means of making us more noticeable, and as far as I'm concerned noise is one way of making us more noticeable.

If P.C. Plod isn't persuaded by this, then I'll just have to pay the fine if I get pulled for it.

Reply to this Topic
Range02

Jun 09

Range02 says:

perception

I think ndawson highlights the problem. People do NOT turn their heads with awe as a bike with loud cans goes past.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

as much as I do admit that kevin ash has shot himself in hte foot in this one by coming across as a complete idiot. I do agree with some of the comments that people need to stop acting like idiots through crowded areas acting no better than your average idiot in a hatchback with wheelie bin exhaust. The noise does add to the excitement and drama, but just save it for when your on some quieter roads as oppose to through towns and cities, or just generaly where lots of the public are, act curteous and friendly and all that bull then wring the neck out of the throttle when theyre not looking... or hearing... besides I think that cars with loud exhausts are much more common and annoying. Also I agree with the safety aspect several times my scorpion can has worked to better effect than my horn. People just need to not take the piss and we'll all be ok :)

Reply to this Topic
scorpiomia

May 09

scorpiomia says:

grow up!

this issue is heating up in the 'land of the free' too, with the same arguments from both sides. i say exercise some rationality. my 07 bonnie sounds like a sewing machine w/ stock exhaust so i had it unstrangled before i even took delivery, but i do not redline it past every sidewalk cafe so i can 'impress' everyone by ending their conversations like some ogri wannabe on crack. as the ama (american motorcycle association) is now saying: loud pipes lose rights! what they're not saying is it's the childish and/or selfish use of loud pipes that's the problem. we all need to grow up, or someone else will legislate maturity (and more) for us...

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

kev n powell

powell800 your either a windup or you need ro get back in ur retirement village ..im 50 luv the sound of any bike loud or quiet as  for the weekend warrior maybe its the only time they can get out .. GOD created bikes to have fun on  and yes you will always get a knob doing the wrong thing same as we get wowsers like you

Kev m8 MCN should start to look at accidents in traffic most bikes knocked off have std exhausts too quiet  cant be heard .. Back in the day the nice thud n runbel of a  norton rattelumph  the scream of a 2 stroke and the roar of jap 4  car drivers new you were comeing up   even today its the same . , Trucks and sports cars are just as noisey

so why cant we just leave it as it is

Reply to this Topic
gazspaz

May 09

gazspaz says:

loud pipes

Ahh,,  the PC brigade have invaded... get some BALLS and live the way you like.   all is needed is to ride with consideration threw villages and the like.. and when out in the open, be as loud as you like.    your never going to be able to please everyone.   there is always some deadbeat sitting by the window looking for things to complain about!!

Reply to this Topic
wilsongrahams

Jun 09

Yup

I agree. They'll ban red bikes next because they 'look' like racing bikes...

Reply to this Topic
950Darren

Oct 08

950Darren says:

Agree .....

with gazspaz on this one. I have twin akro`s on my bike with baffels out and every morning im polite enough to start my bike at the end of my road as not to annoy the curtain brigade! thank god i live on a hill:lol:

Reply to this Topic
svsz

Aug 06

svsz says:

loud pipes

next time your out on your bike and about to overtake a line of cars watch how many wind there window down to listen to the aural sound of your bike you,ll be suprised

Reply to this Topic
jackdaniels1

Jun 09

jackdaniels1 says:

loud cans

read all this thread, biking is doomed, attitudes shown here are mostly infantile at best, congratulations you lot are playning right into the hands of the nuts that really run the country!.... mind you the  tw*ts who think loud cans are a safety item did make me larf.....funny tragic not funny haha

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle