Skip to content

Discuss This UK’s 10 most dangerous biking roads – do you ride them? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > UK’s 10 most dangerous biking roads – do you ride them?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Rupert Paul  says:

UK’s 10 most dangerous biking roads – do you ride them?

A new Eurorap report has identified ten roads, nearly all of them in the midlands and north of England, as more dangerous to bikes than any others.    We want to hear from riders who know these roads. What do you think of them? Why are serious or fatal crashes more likely to happen here? Is it something to do with...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (25 June 2009 10:00)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
isimmins

Mar 07

isimmins says:

If you can't stop in the distance you can see to be clear you're going too fast..

Reply to this Topic
carl27

Aug 06

carl27 says:

A537, 54, 5004

Ride them all regularly. These roads, especially the Cat', will punish mistakes and bad luck.

I've never crashed up there but I can see why people do, over cook a corner and you're on the other side of the road and/or in a wall/ditch/truck. Let's not forget car drivers frequently crossing solid lines to pass cyclists/caravans/HGVs and heading straight at you as has happened to me many times.

I wont mention the standards of riding I've seen on the Cat and Fiddle recently. Some very flash bikes with terrible riders (well posers).

Reply to this Topic
carl27

Aug 06

carl27 says:

Close Shave

Check this out 2mins in. Not the safest rider in the world, but at least he only put himself in danger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KAwOBs5RGY

Reply to this Topic
j4ff

Feb 09

j4ff says:

Its not the roads that are dangerous.Its the way some of us ride them.Ive seen 2 off's within a mile stretch on the Hartside pass(2 in the list) both were single vehicle incidents both on corners.1 guy limped away the other was flat on his back in a ditch

Reply to this Topic
ergf

Feb 09

ergf says:

ride 3 regularly

I ride three of them regularly. Even on a damp week day there is a steady stream of bikes on them.

Lots of bike traffic on a road is always going to mean an increased number of accidents. Its not that the road is dangerous its more the sheer numbers of road users.

Accident figures would mean more expressed as a percentage or ratio of users to accidents. So 100 bikers use a road and 10 bikers crash 10% accident rate. 10,000 bikers use the road and 10 crashes you get 0.1%.

These roads might have more accidents but we also know there busy. Be sensible and you will be safe

Reply to this Topic
windy12

Oct 07

windy12 says:

I agree

We often can barely get in to Hartside Cafe car park there are that many bikes last time I was parked about 10 feet in I could get no further and it is a big car park with not one car in it, it is the sheer numbers.

I agree totally with erqf below, there are lies and statistics.

Reply to this Topic
rideforfun

Jun 09

rideforfun says:

Cat and Fiddle

I ride this road regularly and I'm not surprised by the number of accidents on this stretch. Whilst not a fast rider, I do enjot this ride. However the number of people who treat it as their personal racetrack beggars belief. This is an unforgiving piece of tarmac. Some of these riders may be riding well within their skill levels, but it only takes one of the many sheep to step into the road and travelling at thier speed it's game over. It could be argued that this is their choice, but it also puts the lives of others at risk and gives ammunition to the anti biking brigade (it's big enough already!) I must also say that a large number of sports car drivers also use it in a similar manner. If you need to ride at double the speed limit and overtake on corners please go to a track, oulton park isn't far away!

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

Tbh it's all Human error, not the roads.

Reply to this Topic
Sanjuricus

Apr 09

Sanjuricus says:

1, 3 and 6

Ride 1, 3 and 6 regularly. 6 is my daily commute and preferred route to Buxton anyway....

I agree with previous points about proportionality not being considered. With all the traffic census' going on they should have at least an inkling of an idea of traffic density on a typical day/week/monthand be able to factor in deaths per driven kilometre per annum or something....

Speaking of proportionality, approx 2700 deaths per annum on the road (down from 3500 a few years back) out of a population fast approaching 70million...how many zeroes do you reckon there would be before the decimal 1? I've heard it said before though that each death has a total cost of around 1 million pounds to clear up...so thats 2.7 billion right there.

Lists like this are scaremongering plain and simples.

Reply to this Topic
toe_down_sv_racing

Jan 08

B1242.... Hornsea To Withernsea

Known as the gauntlet and Cadwell Road to many, few roads will allow near-safe toe-down at 30mph in the UK outside minimoto tracks!

Its devilishly quick, and really, the only road i truthfully can say is better AT the speed limit than riding OVER it (not that i ever do like!).

Well worth a blast if your near hornsea/ bridlington/ hull area.

just been resurfaced and the chippings are clear!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices