Skip to content

Ask an Expert Powdercoating - DON'T!!! Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Powdercoating - DON'T!!!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Almondo5

Jun 09

Almondo5 says:

Powdercoating - DON'T!!!

Just read the item on powdercoating R1 wheels in this weeks MCN. DON'T DO IT!!  I got my wheels done a couple of years ago and thought they looked great! 6 weeks ago I got a new tyre fitted to the back wheel. I took the wheel home to fit it to the bike and decided to give it quick clean before fitting it. I found major cracks around the base of 2 spokes (at the hub) and more cracks around the rim on the 3rd spoke!!!

I don't recall hitting any mega potholes lately so can't explain what has caused the damage. I've spoken to a few mates and the guys at the tyre fitters and they all say the same thing - POWDERCOATING!

I'm off to buy a lotto ticket - THIS WHEEL WAS READY TO COLLAPSE AT ANY TIME!

Check the pics.

Attached images:

1. CRACK1  
  2. CRACK2  
Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (27 June 2009 00:54)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

You may have a point Paul,

not sure how they would manage that though, but it may be possible, the wheel may have been clamped in a machine, but would have thought it didn't exert huge pressure? misalignment? bit of a mystery the whole thing isn't it? :blink:

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Think you may have a point there,

Paul, Mike! never seen tyres done in  a way that could cause that, but yes, if an inexperienced/untrained (in bike wheels) operator did the change, it's possible isn't it?

Think I might ask my local fitters if it's possible, I usually get them to break beads for me on tubeless and then do rest myself, getting balancing done only if it's neccessary. they usally use the attachment down the side of the machine, not had probs so far with my cast or spoked wheels!! I was thinking in terms of the clamping mechanism on top of machine:huh:

Reply to this Topic
IMB76

Oct 10

IMB76 says:

I wouldn't say it was the powder coating

I have had load's of powder coating done whilst in the engineering trade and have never herd of more than 200 degrees being used and that is rare. But I have found when machining cast Ali it is not that uncommon to find flaws in the casting (I,E Tiny air pockets or poorly bonded material) which could be the case here a dud casting. I would say this is a possibility but bearing in mind the chap has just had a tyre fitted would think the above posts are more likely.        

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

"don't recall hitting any mega potholes lately..."

maybe, but that isn't to say the wheel hasn't had an impact in the past and gradually gotten worse over time.

Poor tyre fitting isn't impossible either.

Its also worth remembering that some metals need to be carefully heated in gradual steps, and cooling can be critical as well, as can timing.

When all said and done, there's always the chance that poor grade metal was used to start with.

Reply to this Topic
BIGMat

Jul 09

BIGMat says:

Dragged this one up!!

Just wanted to clear something up, Podmet mentioned this,

"it depends what type of plastic they were coating it with which would dictate what temp they were taking it to. I'm no P/C expect but if the coating was PVC the temp probably wouldnt be much more than 100C."

The coating is Polyester. Any higher temps than about 180C and the powder burns anyway.

I have just had my wheels PPC'd, and they are beautiful.

I have to agree with the (albeit slight) majority and say this had nothing to do withe the powder coating/baking. I believe, as mentioned by AdieR and IMB76, that this was either a bad cast, or an impact which has aggrivated an existing problem. 

Again, my appologies for dragging up an old post.:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
southy1981

Sep 10

southy1981 says:

Powdercoating

I am a powdercoater for a large firm in Wymondham.

www.barleychalu.co.uk

Polyester powder in our company is stoved at 180 degrees for 10 mins.

We use Akzo Nobel powder, and different powders require different temps.

I doubt the powdercoating has done this to your wheel. As you mention it was only your back wheel that has presented this problem. I have personally done a few wheels for friends and have never come across this problem.

Bearing in mind, most of the things we do is for commercial use, i.e windows etc, so would not be open to the elements from riding!.

The only thing i can think of is that the wheel was faulty before you had it powdercoated, and at worst, the shop fitting your tyre did something wrong?

Hope this helps

Andy

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices