Skip to content

Products Government SHARP motorcycle helmet test results revealed Helmets

You are in... Forums > Products > Helmets > Government SHARP motorcycle helmet test results revealed

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Ben Purvis, Angus Farquhar  says:

Government SHARP motorcycle helmet test results revealed

The Government has finally revealed the results of its SHARP motorcycle helmet tests - a five-star rating system to reveal just how safe a helmet is. Although the initial results are restricted to a limited number of full-face helmets, over the coming weeks and months the Department for Transport, which operates the scheme, plans to rate every helmet on sale in the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (12 June 2008 17:00)

Post a message in Helmets

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cornbeef76

Jun 07

cornbeef76 says:

A good idea but flawed

Read this: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/faqs/ It only looks at impact decelleration. No other criteria at all has been looked at, such as retention or a penetration test. There's no way a Takachi is as safe as an Arai Condor so as it is, the scheme has no credibility and is a complete waste of time, not to mention taxpayers money. Well done!

Reply to this Topic
bladeboys69

Aug 02

bladeboys69 says:

Noty Flawed

The Sharp test criteria looked at all accicident data from the last 20 years of accident investigation. In over 20 thousand accidents there was not one death or injury through a penetration. Helmet retention is covered in the standard tests and show that only deaths were caused by riders NOT doing up the strap. Please look at these tests positively as they have no financial gain what so ever and only wish to bring down motorcycle death rates in the UK.

Reply to this Topic
w322

Jul 07

w322 says:

Lids.

Surely the safest lid is the one that fits corectly, regardles of cost to a degree. Today I went helmet shopping with the aim of coming home with a nice new one but, when I found one that fitted I couldn't fit my specs on, either the lining would stop the specs from entering the lid, or when they entered I couldn't get them down onto my ears. Also most of these lids could be removed by pulling on the lower rear of the lid with the straps done up properly. Lid manufacturers just don't have a bloody clue, they make a tuppeny halfpenny lid & sell it for £400.

Reply to this Topic
w322

Jul 07

w322 says:

Lids.

Surely the safest lid is the one that fits corectly, regardles of cost to a degree. Today I went helmet shopping with the aim of coming home with a nice new one but, when I found one that fitted I couldn't fit my specs on, either the lining would stop the specs from entering the lid, or when they entered I couldn't get them down onto my ears, & I tried loads of lids from different manufacturers. Also most of these lids could be removed by pulling on the lower rear of the lid with the straps done up properly. Lid manufacturers just don't have a bloody clue, they make a tuppeny halfpenny lid & sell it for £400.

Reply to this Topic
abssorb

Jun 08

abssorb says:

Lids

Tests like these have been long overdue. The expensive helmets have been riding on their reputation and their sponsorship deals for far too long. There is a long standing misconception in helmet sales that the outer shell of the helmet is what saves your life. We have to unlearn this, because it is untrue. If an impact of x force is capable of causing decelleration forces which damage the brain, having the outer shell stronger that that force is pointless. What is important is how the helmet absorbs energy to prevent the brain from smashing against the inside of your own skull. So the above tests are not flawed, they are a long awaited truth. The different layers of foam, and how they fit you, are your "crumple zone" and it is this which saves your life in a normal hard accident. If the energy is not absorbed, having an outer shell you can drive a tank over does little more except preserve the outer appearance of your brain-damaged corpse. Plus, if it is heavier in order to make it stronger, it might actually result in a broken neck in lighter impacts.

Reply to this Topic
newtonian

Jun 08

newtonian says:

lid test comments

I am suprised at the comments. The test states that a some £50 lid is better than a £300 lid, I can beleive that, you do understand what this is all about? I haven't looked at the testing but would imagine they tested acceleration and if they found the cheap lid was better than the pricey one what's to argue with. I would be very suprised if they took any notice of what it looked like or what it cost and the other things mentioned.

Reply to this Topic
Grib

Jun 08

Grib says:

Star Rating

I think rating helmets for safety is a good idea, but can anybody find a description of the relative difference between the star rating ? OK obviously 5 stars is better than 2 stars but how much ? For example if they were to issue a star rating based on the top speed of your bike with 5 stars being 180mph and 2 stars 50 mph. If your bike scored 2 stars you would know it was really slow compared to a 5 star bike…. BUT if 2 stars was 160mph then your bike is not that slow at all … So before those of us whose helmets have faired badly rush out and buy a new one can someone explain how safe, or unsafe, is a 2 star helmet in comparison to a 5 star. Some guidelines such as 2 star only OK for falling off stationary bike at traffic lights and 5 stars good for 180mph head on impact with light armoured vehicle would be quite useful.

Reply to this Topic
itsahabit

Jan 08

itsahabit says:

Long Overdue

Enhanced helmet testing is long overdue. I welcome it, the standard tests have never gone far enough. There seems to be a misconception among many about what a helmet needs to do to save your life. It is very rare that any helmet wearer suffers a penetrating injury. Deaths are usually caused by the impact itself. These tests try to assess how much of that impact is transmitted to the brain. It is also made quite plain if you read the information about the tests that good fit and comfort are still paramount considerations when buying a helmet. It doesn't matter what it cost or how many stars it has if it doesn't fit or is uncomfortable and results in you losing concentration leading to a crash! They are also at pains to point out that the testing is a work in progress that will be refined further. I would suggest that they add a "speed rating" to indicate the impact speeds the helmet performed best at. Odd that most of the complaints on here are from helmet dealers, one does wonder if this has anything to do with their profit margin? I recently bought a new helmet and suffered at the hands of several salespeople over keen to sell me Arai even though they plainly didn't fit! Fortunately I have been around long enough to to be conned by people who plainly want to sell the product that returns the most profit rather than one that will actually offer me the best protection.

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Do I

need to be worried there are no BMW ones on there?

Reply to this Topic
fatgser

Jun 08

fatgser says:

arai

what angers me about the arai results are that they have boasted that every helmet in their range offers the same level of protection which these test show is not the case.having sat through a show at the nec were they hired james whittam to boast about this and the strength etc of their lids just wondered if they would like to refund my money as their claims are lies

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices