Skip to content

Products Government SHARP motorcycle helmet test results revealed Helmets

You are in... Forums > Products > Helmets > Government SHARP motorcycle helmet test results revealed

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Ben Purvis, Angus Farquhar  says:

Government SHARP motorcycle helmet test results revealed

The Government has finally revealed the results of its SHARP motorcycle helmet tests - a five-star rating system to reveal just how safe a helmet is. Although the initial results are restricted to a limited number of full-face helmets, over the coming weeks and months the Department for Transport, which operates the scheme, plans to rate every helmet on sale in the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (12 June 2008 17:00)

Post a message in Helmets

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
upmostmidget

May 08

upmostmidget says:

conspirecy theory!

I am supprised no one has come up with this one. Right we are all living in times of very little spare cash. And so sales are down, we would all agree. Right so what shall the goverment do, tell us that our lids which lets be honest we chose for our own reasons, costing between £300-£500 rather than a cheap £100 lid because we truely believe this will help us surrvive an accident. So the goverment now say throw away that heap of S**t you bought in the bin. And splash out just a few quid instead. Now if it was the other way round then not so many sales would take place. I'm no expert but the pros wont risk their life in anything less than the best most premium lids so why should we.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:         P.S This is only my opinion and I hope nobody get's offended

Reply to this Topic
upmostmidget

May 08

upmostmidget says:

And by the way

If it's just down to the cost I'm supprised a 6star rating was not given for no lid at all. As this is totally free so long as you dont crash would be safe as houses. Plus you could'nt go that fast cause you could'nt breath plus ride times would be reduced due to blindess caused by flys and things.

Reply to this Topic
bigairybiker

Jun 08

bigairybiker says:

Surprised by the MCN

I was quite surprised at the MCN cover giving a good dissing to Arais poor ratings, as by looking at the amount of Arais in the paper (ie freebies to Journalists from Arai as 'product placement') I didn't think they'd have the balls to bite the hand that feeds! Maybe their is such a thing as journalistic objectivity after all - but now that Arais have only got a lowly 2 stars - will we see the journos in Lazers and HJCs as they are obviously safer?...

Reply to this Topic
bladeboys69

Aug 02

bladeboys69 says:

Back Handers....

Please don't get confused that the "Pro's" ie (Racers) using the seemingly top brands as they do get paid thousands £££'s to wear the helmets. Top BSB boys get average £25K, top WSB get £80k-£100k. The riders will go for the best earnings and have very little interest in the quality of the protection. These "top" brands are generally expensive due to the fact that 45% of the cost of the helmet is marketing through sponsorship or advertising, think about it, the money has to come from somewhere! And its come from the people buying promoted "top" brands! Magazines and MC press are also chasing advertising budgets, those with the biggest budgets will get the better editorial to secure these large advertising deals. Always question what ever any person or magazine says and make your own opinion through unbais facts and how well the helmet fits you. At the end of the day, its your head and I hope its worth protecting.

Reply to this Topic
Victor9098

Jan 08

Victor9098 says:

I have been all over the SHARP website and have read all the MCN articles on this but no-one has explained the star rating system? What do the results tell us? A one star helmet must obviously pass all the EU standards but by how much? Strange that there is not a much more comprehensive explanation.

Reply to this Topic
kodder

Sep 07

kodder says:

Numbers

I am actually interested in seeing the impact numbers for each point, rather on seeing star rating that I don't know what they mean!. no helmet is great everywhere, it all depends on what kind of riding you do. For example the arai has a weakness in the sides as mcn article stated a few weeks ago, but what about the brain area? is it worse? better? equal to the five stars helmets? We need more DETAILS!

Reply to this Topic
Billy_rfc

Jan 08

Billy_rfc says:

Well done I say.

I think a big well done is in order for the government on this one. For once they are looking out for us, and for a change not with a laser gun! I can't believe some of the stuff that has been said here doubting the results, although seems to be the people who sell them that are making the most noise in that direction! Safety results based on fact not perceived quality, about time too.

Reply to this Topic
gixerlad1981

Jul 08

gixerlad1981 says:

SHARP Rating

It's interesting to read peoples comments, but I have to say that irrespective of the results. I bought an Arai some years ago on the understanding they were the best & within about 2 weeks the crap side pod broke on my visor when i went to change it! When I went to my dealer they said that it happends all the time!! Not what you'd expect from a £500 crash helmet! Not to mention the fact that it was bloody noisy & wobbled around alot at high speed! And is it just me or are the new Arais that come out just the same as the old ones?? I saw an old pic of Doohan the other day & his lid looked just the same as the ones around today??!!

Reply to this Topic
skittles6969

Jul 08

skittles6969 says:

It's a start!

Yes, helmets should be safety rated so buyers can protect themselves as much as possible, but the test should be more comprehensive. It's impossible to cover every eventuality, with every accident having so many different variables. It's a hard job to determine the correct tests to carry out, but at least the SHARP system can evolve over time. It's nice to see my Nitro N810 helmets score 4 stars. When I prepared them for their custom paint job, I was well impressed with the quality of the GRP. They're comfortable and quiet too, and don't leak around the visor seals. Well done Nitro! A good result for a budget helmet.

Reply to this Topic
gixerlad1981

Jul 08

gixerlad1981 says:

I disagree Al Macker!

Can't say the same for Shoei, bought the top of the range model, the X-Spirit a couple of years ago & it's like night & day compared to the Arai I had! Much lighter, quieter & mega stable at high speed! Highly recommend one!!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices