Skip to content

Products Government SHARP motorcycle helmet test results revealed Helmets

You are in... Forums > Products > Helmets > Government SHARP motorcycle helmet test results revealed

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Ben Purvis, Angus Farquhar  says:

Government SHARP motorcycle helmet test results revealed

The Government has finally revealed the results of its SHARP motorcycle helmet tests - a five-star rating system to reveal just how safe a helmet is. Although the initial results are restricted to a limited number of full-face helmets, over the coming weeks and months the Department for Transport, which operates the scheme, plans to rate every helmet on sale in the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (12 June 2008 17:00)

Post a message in Helmets

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
skittles6969

Jul 08

skittles6969 says:

It's a start!

Yes, helmets should be safety rated so buyers can protect themselves as much as possible, but the test should be more comprehensive. It's impossible to cover every eventuality, with every accident having so many different variables. It's a hard job to determine the correct tests to carry out, but at least the SHARP system can evolve over time. It's nice to see my Nitro N810 helmets score 4 stars. When I prepared them for their custom paint job, I was well impressed with the quality of the GRP. They're comfortable and quiet too, and don't leak around the visor seals. Well done Nitro! A good result for a budget helmet.

Reply to this Topic
gixerlad1981

Jul 08

gixerlad1981 says:

I disagree Al Macker!

Can't say the same for Shoei, bought the top of the range model, the X-Spirit a couple of years ago & it's like night & day compared to the Arai I had! Much lighter, quieter & mega stable at high speed! Highly recommend one!!

Reply to this Topic
thacker

Jan 04

thacker says:

arai

SO HOW COME MCN HAVE'NT ASKED ARAI TO COMMENT ON THIS ??? it been about 4 weeks now and no word from them me for one untill i here arai side of the story will not be buying one there helmets again ill save my money as it may save my life

Reply to this Topic
newr14meplease

Jul 08

whos really worried

of all the people not believing the results of the sharp test i guess most own one of the lower scoring helmets.Do you think that maybe they just dont wanna admit that theyve paid a lot of money out on a lid that is not as safe as one at half the price and that a large percentage of their money has gone on a name rather than a top quality helmet.SO WHAT LID HAVE I GOT......a ** Arai condor and now im unsure whether to swap it as i could well have been miss led by the thought that top money buys you top safety gear. Cmn arai youve gotta respond to the test otherwise im buying a new lid and it wont be one of yours!!!

Reply to this Topic
tiddmyster

Oct 05

tiddmyster says:

my helmet !!

where is the test for the aRAI CHASER ???

Reply to this Topic
RSerplus

Aug 02

RSerplus says:

Horses for courses ....

Every helmet have to pass a certain safety standard and any decent helmet will give you excellent protection in a crash. The main thing is that it fits correctly and you have as much decent gear as you can afford ( and don't be a fecking ejit on the road !! )then that's 90% of the battle .... the rest is luck. We all know Arai helmets are expensive but it's a fashion label and let's be honest ... a lot of bikers are snobs when it comes to brands but it's their choice and their money ..... and when they come off it will still probably safe a life .... as will the £60 Lazer helmet. The good thing is that my "cheap" Nolan N84 got 4 stars and that now counters the slagging in work I get from Arai crowd with their 3 star helmets .... tee hee

Reply to this Topic
lucas_yamaha

Jul 08

lucas_yamaha says:

hjc cs 12

ive always been into biking and finally got a bike and went to buy gear and go tthe hjc as they are a decent brand and i got the cs-12 which scored a 2 star rating.

after the test results i have just ordered a rst cobra vent which scored 4 stars and is currently in a sale for £39 it was £100 just to be on the safe side as people have said they dont stand to profit from these results so why would they give false results.

I just want to protect my nogging rather than have a fashion accessory on my head and if it means £60 helmets are the way to go , here i come lol

Reply to this Topic
KAVALARIS

Oct 08

KAVALARIS says:

THE RESULTS PROOVE HOW WRONG THOSE TESTS WERE

These people who tested these helmet i'm sure they've never ride a bike!

just watch this!

www.youtube.com/watch

Reply to this Topic
lorano

Oct 07

lorano says:

I got my girlfriend to buy me a new helmet for xmas and really wanted an arai or a shoei just because i thought the more i spent the better a helmet i would get.Unfortunatley i was only allowed £150 to spend so i got an AGV S4 because i already had an AGV GP-Pro and liked it.I knew before hand that it scored 5 stars in the sharp ratings but didnt know the results of the other top brands so im quite chuffed i made the choice i did even if i was a bit miffed that i didnt get the before mentioned?!Like one of you guys said before,surely the top branded helmet companys need to take note and if they're goin to charge £300+ for a so called "good"helmet they need to be up there with the 60 quid ones!!

Reply to this Topic
dizzydriver

Nov 08

dizzydriver says:

testing not flawed

i read an article that said a lot of manufacture,s had made the area on the helmet tested in the previous tests thicker, thereby cheating the test. this new test goes some way to back that up as the big names are failing tests on areas of the helmet they skimped on.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle