Skip to content

General I was on my way to Assen last week..... General

You are in... Forums > General > General > I was on my way to Assen last week.....

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Kegsie

Jun 09

Kegsie says:

I was on my way to Assen last week.....

and travelling along the Dutch A28, the traffic was slowish, somewhere around the 40-50 mph mark.  The plethora of bikes on their way to same were overtaking, and undertaking, between the motorway lanes:shock:  I was stunned, to say the least, as the multitude of cops were doing fuck all about it and cars were just giving them room.  I asked a Dutch mate about it, he said he wasn't sure if it was legal but he thought so.  Apart from fucking insane, I wonder if there's a term for this stupidity?  I could make up a few but I thought I might leave it to you lads.  Off you go.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (01 July 2009 16:15)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

"Making Good Progress"

It's the same here.  After Valencia GP, all the cops do, is keep waving you on.  In and out of the traffic is fine, as long as you get away - the quicker the better.  :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
fossil

Aug 02

fossil says:

suppose

it could be "double or treble filtering"

or "caging" but that sounds a bit rude :blink:

Reply to this Topic
cheekymonkey

Aug 02

cheekymonkey says:

Sorry.

Nothing wrong with it IMO. Too many people messing about and slowing others up with a ferry to catch.

Bollocks.

Get past. Anyway you can. If you MUST crawl along, then ffs get it into the nearside lane. There`s folk who are trying to get home. Riding a bike is not about following people along like sheep. Its about doing your own thing. :ph43r: 

Reply to this Topic
Kegsie

Jun 09

Kegsie says:

Do...

enlighten us then, what is 'doing your own thing'?  Maybe I've been getting it all wrong these past 45 accident free years.  Some people will catch a hearse before they catch that ferry but the real problem is, who they take with them.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

We have been

to Assen a few times and it is legal, the best advice we were given by a local was if you don't want to do all the weaving in and out then stay on the inside and don't move. Their riding seems erratic but each time we've been no accidents were evident as car and bike alike look out for each other. You soon get the hang of it it's having the right thought process.Shame it's not the same here. Going to the Nurgurgring in September so it will be interesting to see how they do it

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Kegsie

What is your problem with this?   "the multitude of cops were doing fuck all about it and cars were just giving them room"  

I really don't see any issue - sorry! :blink:

Reply to this Topic
carl27

Aug 06

carl27 says:

HA

The Dutch are as a rule shit drivers. They don't seem to exhibit road rage as much to be fair, but they do act like C***s.

Not as bad as the Belgians mind...

Reply to this Topic
MattyC83

May 09

MattyC83 says:

As the Thai's do

Although they are not the safest bunch (helmet means your a woosey) i rode out there for 6 months and never saw one accident involving locals. Stupid drunk tourists yes, but not locals.

They are so much more aware and respectful of other drivers. British drivers are so uptight and determined, they are all terrible at being aware. If you ask me, car drivers should be made to be much more aware. The roads would be a much safer place to be, and less congestion too mind!

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Personally..

I've always enjoyed a bit of high-speed weaving inbetween the cars.. even better if there's loads of ya doing it...

It's exciting... Keep your wits about ya and have some fun.. c'mon.. that's what biking's about aint it..?? fun!!

The cops are great in Holland too... proper laid back, decent bunch... probably all too stoned to care...  

:wink:

Reply to this Topic
Kegsie

Jun 09

Kegsie says:

Yup...

.....I suspect my 45 years accident free is down to luck too!  The last ten years must have been, judging by some of the comments on here:wacko:.

I'm off to Nurburgring in September too, babyblade41, wife & I go every year.  It's true to say that the Germans have an outstanding class of driving, the best in Europe by far.  They have the high speed limits for the most part, although it's not like it used to be 20 years ago.  They also have the driving and riding capabilities to be safe when using it.  Don't leave without doing a lap or two of the old full circuit, amazing place, technical even at slow speed and scary when you're going a bit quick.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices