Skip to content

Discuss This Speed on green camera! Politics & the law

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Politics & the law > Speed on green camera!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

nickmas

Aug 06

nickmas says:

Speed on green camera!

So the lovely people at Dorset scamera partnership have installed two speed on green cameras at the main road in and out Poole (A350), a speed on green camera is your average red light camera but operates as speed camera when traffic light is on green. From what I can tell paint a few lines further past the junction and maybe change some software inside the grey box and hey presto new gatso installed, of course nothing much identifies it other than local knowledge.

Ours has been placed on the most profitable road possible, backed up by the fact the partnership have been running it for month without prosecution but as data gathering.
This is a 30 mph road four lanes at this junction 50 mph prior to 30 which was a 70 mph dual carriageway before that!

Anyway I thought I'd pop down to quay for bike night, following a couple of other bikes at 50 mph we hit the 30 zone and I start slowing, check mirrors about another 5 bikes following, as I near the junction check speedo 29 mph at which point 4 of the bikes behind change lanes to undertake, oops I think and give the thumbs down sign, guy who spotted this anchors up (well observed), I got to speak to him and told him about the camera, his reply was the others that had gone through were his mates and he'll tell them about the NIP's on the way.

You have to bear in mind you get (on a good day) 3 thousand bikes on the quay 90% use that junction and 90% go through at more than 30 mph, which is actually not a problem, no obstacles no pedestrians  just a good chance to make some money.

I cannot remember a single accident at this site and if they've monitored so many speeders where are all the accidents?    
Expect this in a town near you soon!

Under FOI act, stats from 1998 to 2008 northbound 8 slight accidents and one serious accident and southbound 9 slight accidents and none in the last three years, so the southbound side does not fit the guidelines for placement.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (03 July 2009 00:48)

Post a message in Politics & the law

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices