You are in... Forums > General > General > Riding techniques

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

lucas_yamaha

Jul 08

lucas_yamaha says:

Riding techniques

I was at Donnington WSB last week and they kept 'backing bike' into Melbourne.

I watched a vid on youtube of this guy doing it but he locked the rear wheel up to do this, i thought this was wrong way as they didn't seem to lock it up.

Do you apply rear brake firmly(not locking it up) to slow rear wheel more than front and add some countersteer and hey presto.

Have i understood this right.

BTW i know this isn't for the road just interested me.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (03 July 2009 22:31)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Thats about

right, heavy braking on approach to corner is lifting weight off the back wheel, so back is locked up more easily, this can be done by hard use of back brake or knocking down more than one gear at a time or both. Also they are probably using a slipper clutch which will allow a certain amount of wheel locking, but control it to the extent that it doesn't become totally locked up. The effect of all this is to make the tyre slide enough to tighten the line significantly before getting the bike upright with the throttle and powering offf down the straight, hence faster cornering and laps. Watch some supermoto footage for a more extreme looking but easier to spot whats going on view.

Reply to this Topic
lucas_yamaha

Jul 08

lucas_yamaha says:

smoto

i have been watching a lot of supermoto thats mainly where i saw it looks amazing would love a go at supermoto looks a blast.

love this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeUK6aOEJKo

Reply to this Topic
lucas_yamaha

Jul 08

lucas_yamaha says:

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

must take some bottle

like speedway on tar with slicks, wont be practicing that on my own bike

Reply to this Topic
lucas_yamaha

Jul 08

lucas_yamaha says:

i had

a go today i may have done a slight one but not really sideways, then a couple of other timesi just looked the rear wheel up  so just slung arse end round for corner:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

And another

from Kinsham in Herefordshire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGYUkk0g3ZU

Reply to this Topic
BikerBladerAsh

Nov 07

supermoto

a few years ago they had a yamaha supermoto school at the NEC show.

I had a crack at this i hadnt been riding long. Was on a 450 and it was pissing down quite litterally, within half hour session i was sliding round corners. Its one of the madest biking experiences ive had, Off road is excelent for bike control, but the supernoto is awesome, kinda scary too, i had images of the bike just high siding me

Reply to this Topic
lucas_yamaha

Jul 08

lucas_yamaha says:

i would

like to do a supermoto scholl bet there a right blast

Reply to this Topic
toe_down_sv_racing

Jan 08

Sliding............ A Toe_Down Lesson In,

There are 3 forms

1. Brake-locking: basically, stomping on the rear brake to lock the back wheel. this stops the bike using engine breaking and drive from driving the wheel into the road surface. its characteristically signalled by a screaming of tyres. MAKE sure you bring the cluch fully in or you will stall = bad times. Simple but you need to feed the gas on ASAP as you will either fall off, or the bike will slow enough to re-grip and simply make you stop, and fall off.
  2. Power-sliding: The typically used method you might do without even knowing it! (even if on a small scale). A lot of power loaded mid-corner will lift certain parts of the tyres' contact patch reducing the gripping surface and initiates slides. usually helped with "working-the-clutch", feeding high rev's and manually slipping the clutch by hand allows you to feed huge amounts of revs into the back wheel, making it slide, sometimes to excess where crashing becomes more usual. MAKE sure that you know how to use a clutch under high revs first, bikes tend to go very light on the front and back in this style. Devastating on tyre life as well.
  3. Brake-Clutch-Gas Method: The all-rounder. Using JUST enough rear brake to get the back loose, then work the gas and the clutch together, and its the style as you have seen in all those supermotard vids. Its the best for tyre life and cornerspeed. its also the most difficult to get right because your doing 3 things at once, as well as going round a corner. The trick is to moderate how much of each you use, if you over-work the brakes to slide, dont cain it on the throttle, if you slide too little, you will have to over-work the clutch and gas, too much gas, more clutch will be needed etc etc etc!
I use all 3 in honnesty. sometimes the situation warrents any of those to be used, especially on track, but I have learnt all of them by use of sensible speed in safe conditions on the road, and you can too!

country roads at around 2pm with good visability and no crud on the floor in a warm, flat area which you know is the best way. start slow and work your way up. :sunglasses:

***LAST NUGGET OF INFO*** Everyone does it differently, there is no Text-book answer to this, the only way to master it is to do it for thousends of miles and keep testing what you learn on a trackday to iron-out flaws you will potentially miss on your self.

:ph43r:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices