Skip to content

Discuss This New VFR1200T Pan European-replacement revealed New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New VFR1200T Pan European-replacement revealed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Guy Procter  says:

New VFR1200T Pan European-replacement revealed

Honda’s V4-based Pan European replacement will be the world’s most technologically-advanced bike when it’s released next year. Full details are in the new issue of MCN, but what do you think of the looks? Leaked Honda design drawings have shown the bike’s distinctive duck-billed styling, which we’ve made real using CGI. The colours are our guess – but the look...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (16 July 2009 15:52)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
superbiker27

Jul 05

superbiker27 says:

Pan replacement

What a mess, the panniers do not blend in, they look as though they were thrown on as an afterthought!!

Whatever are they doing at Honda. The styling is dreadful. Why only 1200cc, everyone was expecting an engine of at least 1400cc in order to be competitive. I for one will be keeping my ST1300 which is brilliant at all speeds until they come up with a viable alternative. Superbiker27.   

Reply to this Topic
tamaz

Feb 06

tamaz says:

Did it fall out of the ugly tree?

My initial comment is that it is even more ugly than the varadero.  I am sure it will be a fantastic bike to ride, honda rarely get that wrong, but i wouldnt have one, it is not a bike you will open your garage and admire.  I manage to do that with all my bikes, even my beat up old CBR1000F(well when its been washed).

I would go for something with more classical lines, even if ride wasn't really perfect. Sorry honda, if this really is the final look its just too ugly, ugly enough to be made by bmw.

Reply to this Topic
ManxNorton

Oct 02

ManxNorton says:

New Pan VRF1200T?

In MCN's January 21st 2009 Buying Guide, which featured the ST1100, MCN delicately skirted around the umm 'issue' with the STX1300 by writing "... In fact, many {owners} prefer them to the later 1300 Pan", without explaining precisely why that was.

Which, for the old-timers out there is probably far more disengenuous than in 1960's reports saying 'invigorating ride' ... which meant it vibrated like hell and bits fell off.

In fact, the designer of the STX1300 boasted at the time that the only component that was the same as the  with the old ST1100 model was the side stand.

Whatever, lets drop the STX1300 'murdercycle' whinging and look forward to the successful shaft-drive VFT1200T (still seems totally the wrong naming convention, it sure ain't no VFR).

Reply to this Topic
Cleanwipe

Aug 02

Cleanwipe says:

Its a dog!

Ugly as sin with its "sticky out bottom lip thing"  but still it is designed for beardies and the plod so looks shouldnt matter.

Hope it dosesnt have the high speed weave jinx that the Pan did tho!

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

Hmmmmmmmmmm!

ManxNorton... Just noticed you ride a 1990 st1100... which explains the attitude/bitterness/jealousy towards the ST1300. how many swing arms and collector boxes has it eating this year?

Reply to this Topic
Crussell

Jan 09

Crussell says:

Nothing new then

I'm guessing that apart from some clever packaging with the engine - courtesy of the HONDA car division, nothing much is innovative in this design.  We already have a plethora of shaft driven tourers on the market all as wide as a 2CV when the panniers are fitted - nothing different here then.  Asthetically The new V4 looks like a product of the stylist rather than anything to do with aerodynamics or proper grown up engineering - another throw away design that is more form than function.  Come on Honda, give us something that is inspirational and trend setting.  For that Honda needs to be brave and to be able to take a few risks.  Because of this reason, we need to to wait for BMW to take this genre of machine to the next stage. 

Reply to this Topic
Richard T

Aug 07

Richard T says:

"Frankly, Royal Enfield seems to have a better handle on the real tourer than anything coming out of Honda..."

Well said that man!

Good point about remote location repairs too.

On a group tour to the French Alps 2 yrs ago, various bikes, the only one that gave trouble was a Pan which got a blown component in the alternator (rectifier/regulator?). It had to be trailered all the way home because it couldn't be fixed locally. Must have cost an absolute fortune, especially as it was used by the owner for his training business! :-(

I'll stick with my trusty Daytona-ised 1200 Triumph Trophy, which has never let me down in 40,000 miles of 2-up UK & continental touring. Carbs, simple electrics, about 150bhp and oodles of torque. :-)

Reply to this Topic
kiwikeith

Nov 05

kiwikeith says:

replacement VFR 1200

I don't know what to believe anymore from MCN after the bullshit it ran last year on a V5 VFR on the front page of the mag to replace the ageing VFR800. MCN had us all sucked in just like they must have been with photo shop image's and all over the front page. If it is true in my eyes it looks beautiful. Together with the V41200 it will be more than enough power for this biker. I had the 05 VFR800 from new, and found it had a heap of power. Without having a walk around it the seat doesn't look very pillion friendly. Well if the article isn't a load of bullshit. I give it a big thumbs up. Well done Honda, and not before time.

Reply to this Topic
78richie

Jul 09

78richie says:

Not a new Pan

August 2008 MCN did a story that they made up about a V5 VFR and a VFR GT. Where are they then? Are they secret bikes that only the press can see? MCN get it wrong all the time and people on here get all worked up over something that isn't true. There is no new Pan next year. There will be a VFR but no details have been leaked/stolen/revealed yet. All this about names, engine configurations, gearboxes and final drives is made up dung.  Go on www.honda-v4.co.uk and register like I have for the latest info and the chance to go on the launch.

Before I go Richard T says his Triumph Trophy 1200 has 150 bhp. Really? Thats 25 more than new and they lowered that at some point to about 108 bhp due to awful fuel consumption. Does it wheelie off the throttle in 5th gear too?

Reply to this Topic
garyckemp

Jun 05

garyckemp says:

VFR

The Japanese have seriously lost the plot with regard to style over the last couple of years.

This bike along with many others now is grotesque. Acres of rediculously angular plastic. No style.

I had a VFR once but this is ghastly

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices