Skip to content

Discuss This New VFR1200T Pan European-replacement revealed New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New VFR1200T Pan European-replacement revealed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Guy Procter  says:

New VFR1200T Pan European-replacement revealed

Honda’s V4-based Pan European replacement will be the world’s most technologically-advanced bike when it’s released next year. Full details are in the new issue of MCN, but what do you think of the looks? Leaked Honda design drawings have shown the bike’s distinctive duck-billed styling, which we’ve made real using CGI. The colours are our guess – but the look...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (16 July 2009 15:52)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
captain bimble

Aug 07

WTF is that? Honda have seriously lost the plot with this monstrosity.

Reply to this Topic
jitten

Aug 02

jitten says:

chronic

I was really looking foward to a new hyper bike to tempt me in 2010...is there a more sporty version due? This looks chronic! I bet it's a peach to ride though )

Reply to this Topic
sprintst955

Jun 09

sprintst955 says:

is it april the 1st ?

have honda gone mad or did they build this for a bet ?what is going on at honda ?they build this ugly mug after widespread derision over the dn01.they have a superbike that drinks oil like a 2 stroke and wayward handling st1300s that are so bad the cops cut theirs up !!!.i have had loads of hondas over the years and for the first time ever i can honestly say that there isnt a single bike in the honda range that i would buy.the last being the sp2.heads need to roll honda.

Reply to this Topic
ManxNorton

Oct 02

ManxNorton says:

1990 ST1100 parts

evilamnesiac, you ask how many swingarms/collector boxes it has eaten this year?

I paid £4200 in 1990 for this ST1100 with 500 miles on the clock and it is still worth around £2000, so that works out to be an annual depreciation of 2000/19 = £115 per annum.

Not a lot.

Sadly after 17 years, in 2007, the steel collector box did finally rot away so I blew the budget on a complete stainless Predator exhaust system, which must have cost about £700 or so but I kinda felt the old girl deserved it.

I have also had to replace the front fork legs, simply because I'd owned the bike so long and had never got around to changing the fork oil, which had eventually turned into some sort of grinding paste.

About ten years ago, in fading light, on an unfamiliar road, I stupidly overtook a car and hit a low level central island, the ST1100 ploughed straight on and I managed to steer it back onto the road but both wheels turned out to have massive 'dings' in them and were replaced with some secondhand units.

Also, after about 15 years of ownership, the seat cover was trying to turn itself back into the oil from which it had originated, so I had the cover replaced.

The cam-belt was also changed a couple of years ago.

That's it, apart from the normal consumables.

It always makes me smile if some motorcyclists complain that biking is expensive because it is not  providing you make the correct choice at the outset.

Reply to this Topic
danmux

Jan 09

danmux says:

VFR!!

Its not even an ST! I agree they broke the lineage with the ST1300, but cummon a VFR.

The ST1100 was almost spot on. Just a tiny bit short on the fairing and screen, hence so many after market deflectors. Unless the new version has high tech morphing polymer technology to elegantly extend the bodywork to make it an all weather tourer im gonna have to bolt on some more ugly ass defelctors.

Reply to this Topic
vee624valve

Mar 06

vee624valve says:

the only thing i can think of when i look at this is someone left their crayons out and a 3yo drew it or the designer had a major hangover and was eating a kebab to kill the hangover. this has got to be one of the most ugly bikes i have ever seen. come on honda, pull your fingers out of your arses and design a bike not something that is the morning after the night before. 

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

A little touchy about the ST1100 aren't we? might want to have a poke around your swing arm at this stage or at least let go of the idea its better than the 1300, because having done 1000's of miles on both, it really isn't. but that is regardless of my original point, that point being that the ST1300 was and is a very successful model, and our expectations of this SPECULATED new ST should be based on that. Honda don't need to alter the ST1300 a lot, certainly the weave issue needs addressing, more for the reputation than the real world effects of the actual weave itself. This 'VFR1200T' (which is only guesswork by MCN) looks a little too sports touring to be a true successor to the Pan European. with regards to the comment about the DN-01, the messed up less with the styling and more with the price (10K! who were they kidding!) and the 'Blade isn't too bad if you stick to Semi-Synthetic but ever so if still a little oil heavy.

Reply to this Topic
ManxNorton

Oct 02

ManxNorton says:

Spot on

danmux, I knew I had something special with the ST1100 in the early days around 1991/2, when I used to commute around the M25 on it, because I was often 'pulled' by the cops.

Not for doing anything wrong, they'd just ask me about the Pan and excitedly tell me that they were getting rid of their BMW's, which they really disliked and which had killed a couple of policemen and were looking forward to getting the ST1100.

So there is a deep irony that the situation today is exactly reversed, with the police getting rid of the STX1300, which has also killed a few cops, and reverting the the BMW.

No wonder Honda's chief test rider Dave Hancock looked so deeply anguished (MCN photo) when all the controversy came out about the police STX1300's. He knew Honda had screwed up badly and that it was going to cost them a lot of money in lost sales.

Reply to this Topic
danmux

Jan 09

danmux says:

Touchy feely

@evilamnesiac - Yeh bit touchy and probably unfairly so - I admit I've never ridden an 1300. I really wanted to, and was saddened by the reports and then was a bit dubious about them, and then I read the Ride Pan Weave article. And that the rozzas where nothcing the frames.

And yep been through a collector or two - stainles collector fitted to both bikes I've owned. As far as swingarm, agree no hugger is a flaw - I now swear by ACF-50, even blogged about it - search for Pan Eauropean ACF 50 if you want to know more.

Reply to this Topic
Critters

Jul 07

Critters says:

New VFR/Pan replacement

First impressions of it to me are not good, it looks like a slightly inflated VFR,who cares about all the extra gizmos, more to go wrong, I have just had to replace my rear shock on my bike and at £660 quid that is a Honda rip off,  if I have to replace my ST1300, i'll go for a test ride but it looks like a move to the Kawasaki GTR1400 for me.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices