Skip to content

Discuss This 12 months in prison for 139mph speeding biker General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > 12 months in prison for 139mph speeding biker

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

12 months in prison for 139mph speeding biker

A motorcycle mechanic caught overtaking on the brow of a hill by a policeman on an unmarked Suzuki Hayabusa in a 139 mph chase has been jailed for 12 months “as an example” to others. Judge Roger Thorn, QC, said David Saxby warranted jailing for his dangerous riding and “arrogant” attitude to the police officer that stopped him at Fridaythorpe bikers...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (20 July 2009 11:37)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
GMan7

Jul 05

GMan7 says:

Oh Dear!

The Traffic Police all over the UK have requested and been given the resources to rid the roads of bikers intent on killing themselves and others.  We are tightening the noose round our own necks everytime a story like this hits the press.  This guy was a repeat offender and foolishly abusive to the copper, a ban and heavy sentence may not have kept him off the road, so unfortunately the Judge had to give a custodial sentence.  Speeding at certain times and in certain places is not too dangerous but on the wrong side of the road on a brow of a hill is completely unnaceptable - just imagine you were coming the other way on your bike!  The Traffic Police will not stop thier campaign and eventually all speeding bikers will be caught including the bikers who are speeding in relatively safe situations (very early morning on country B roads with no houses or side turnings etc...)  For _uck's sake stop bleating on about cops being anti biker, just use your brain and be more choosey where you enjoy the performane of your bike and leave the idiot bikers who speed through villages and overtake dangerously to get caught.  TRUST ME - IF YOU CONTINUE RIDING LIKE A TWAT YOU WILL GET CAUGHT - IT'S ONLY A QUESTION OF TIME!!!

Reply to this Topic
mike1300

Oct 05

mike1300 says:

12 months in prison for 139mph speeding biker

a bit harsh 12 months for that perhaps he would have got  a lesser sentence if he stole the bie first or may be no jail at all,the lesson here is dont speed on your own bike do it on some one elses.

Reply to this Topic
windy12

Oct 07

windy12 says:

re Mike1300

If that was all he did wrong you would be absolutely right, we would all agree 100%.

Reply to this Topic
PingCrosby

Jul 07

PingCrosby says:

Mind the frozen pea's

Its not true that the police are only targetting bikers, my mam got pulled over in Tesco's for speeding with her shopping trolley and performing an illegal manouver next to the frozen pea's (they said she overtook on the inside). Mind you it does go a bit now that I've fitted the Turbo and 2wd system off that R1, anyway she's banned from Tesco's now so its off to the chippy for tea...Tally Ho old bean and mind the bannister.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

The person that said the system is not biased against motorcycles obviously does not ride often or keep up with the news, I dont think I need to remind poeple of several cases recently of drivers who have killed by dangerous driving and gotten laughable suspended sentences. In fact you can seel drugs to school children and merely get community service... I think we need to ask ourselves wtf is wrong with htis country we live in! It is becoming an absolute living nightmare. If you told people 30 years ago that this is the way the country would be they would laugh ad make a film about and then consider that film unrealistic... 1984 comes to mind far too often

Reply to this Topic
trixieyam

Apr 08

trixieyam says:

Really..

..if you think the Police / Judicial system is not in anyway anit-bike (and you ride a bike) you are sooo absolutely OUT OF TOUCH with reality..God help you!

Reply to this Topic
nedd

Feb 09

nedd says:

Pedal cyclist NB

And remember that pedal cyclist who (this is as far as I recall it was a bit back) as I recall was riding on pavement and teenagers in the way who didn`t move straight away and he is alleged to have shouted something like "you`d better move `cos I`m coming through" and he collided with a girl and killed her -  think he got a year in jail as well  ....  oh yes and actually seem to remember sentence was SUSPENDED for one year !!    Just imagine how many years a (motor) biker would get for this !!  Plus obviously I am sad for the girl as no doubt everybody is.    I just don`t get this speeding bias at all.  I was brought up with no speed limits except in towns and everybody seeemed to do ok then -  and the Police hardly ever mentioned speeding bikers and drivers. When that bloke Dougie Brooker drove 200 cc Kart from Lands End to John O` Groats he overtook a Police car on M1 at around 130 mph and was stopped  -  but in paper it said only `cos the PC was so surprised at such a small vehicle so wanted a chat and a closer look !    Are there all these "Danger Zone for Bikers" "X Bikers injured or killed in 3 years" on German roads ??  And look at all those beautiful bends on Tour de France on box at moment -  not seen one sign warning of bikes and danger etc.. I just don`t get the jailing for speeding when nobody hurt and not even an accident.   It`s in same league as vicious laws like bans on kissing in public in some countries.   It isn`t natural law, it`s political opinion slanting the law .   A ban for dangerous riding seems better as dangerous overtaking was probably safer for getting his time on other side of road done quicker !   Nedd 

Reply to this Topic
nedd

Feb 09

nedd says:

Two cyclists plus blind lady!!

Just googled the cyclist causing death (Telegraph 2008) and says he rode at the teenagers at fair speed - suggests he speeded up AND found another guy on bicycle killed a bloke on pavement loading his car at Tescos. No jail !!  And a blog by dog owners fed up with cyclists hitting dogs in parks --  AND ON SAME PAGE A BLIND LADY WORRIED ABOUT HER GUIDE DOG COS SHE CAN`T SEE A THING AND CYCLISTS HIT HER AND BRUISED HER TWICE !!   No small tiny amount of funny world is it.  N 

Reply to this Topic
hertsfazer600

Oct 07

The whole system of sentencing is supposed to run on guidelines but whatever the offence we hear of inconsistencies. I remember 2 pals in 2 different courts a fortnight apart for the same offence, one getting £50 the other £400. Both were first timers.

Although the guy here had to expect a custodial as so many others before him had gotten them and his attitude did him no favours,  A custodial sentence IMO is inappropriate ditto relying on a long ban as he has history of ignoring one.

Taking up his time with a heavy community service order or similiar to give something useful to society  in addition to a hefty fine would likely  have been better.

Now the taxpayer has to pay for him to be away and pay for his family to live, and deny cell space for someone more deserving. 

Reply to this Topic
Bluntly

Sep 09

Bluntly says:

Prison Yes, a year No

I agree he was at the very end of his chain and it needed to be yanked hard, however 12 months inside seems ridiculously unjust when compared to what many criminals get for premeditated and more serious crimes. Surely 28-90 days in prison and a big fine would have sent the message that the judge wanted without damaging the man's family to the extent that 12 months probably will.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices