Skip to content

General Do I need new Carbs (Aprilia 650) General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Do I need new Carbs (Aprilia 650)

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

babru68

Jul 09

babru68 says:

Do I need new Carbs (Aprilia 650)

Hi All :upset:
Need some expertise, I have a Aprilia Pegaso 650 that I have had sitting in my garage for 4 years for various reasons. Now I have the bug back big time so to save some bucks someone from work said they would look over it and service what was needed  He has come back to me stating my carbs are shot.. Tells me that the bike runs great after the basic parts purchased filters, battery, brakes and so on (bit noisy) but after the bike has stopped petrol starts poring out of the Carbs .

What I need to know do is my big Pal at work right or is this an error maybe with putting the carbs back together..

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (21 July 2009 21:28)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

he's wrong

sounds like the float bowl is floading, a good strip clean and rebuild should sort it:wink:

Reply to this Topic
ducatiboy1967

Feb 08

flooding

Yep float bowl.  Unless you left the thing sitting there fully fuelled!

Reply to this Topic
gizzabreak

Apr 07

gizzabreak says:

As Above

Sounds like a needle in one or both of the carbs is sticking.

This sort of niggle is symptomatic of a bike that's been left standing for a long period with petrol still in the carbs, especially unleaded.

Unleaded is bad stuff to leave in the fuel system for a prolonged period because it forms a varnish like film that will block jets and, as you've discovered, cause needles to stick.

Good news is that it's a simple fix, but if it were my bike, I'd strip and thoroughly clean the carbs, and next time you decide to leave it standing for a long time, drain out the whole fuel system.

Reply to this Topic
babru68

Jul 09

babru68 says:

Big Thanks

My Pal say he have striped them down and cleaned them, What would be the best thing to use to get this varnish like film removed is they a best product to buy or just soap and water ???

Reply to this Topic
7point62

Jul 09

7point62 says:

Do I need new Carbs (Aprilia 650)

I had a similar problem with a GSXR that had been stood for a while and it turned out that the cruddy, half evaporated petrol in the carbs had rotted the o-rings fitted to the float needle seats. In any case the carbs will need to be removed, thoroughly cleaned and examined. The good news is that it shouldn't cost much except a little time.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

leaking carbs

The float bowls at the bottom of your carb have a system similar to the water closet on your toilet. As the fule level rises the floats pivot upwards and press a plunger against the fuel opening. If fuel is pouring out of the carbs either there's some dirt is in the float bowls and stopping the plunger from sealing (and fuels coming out of the overflow), the tip of the plunger is damaged (this is unlikely  though but it would mean fuel coming out of the overflow)) or the float level has been set too high (and fuels coming out of the overflow). If fuel is coming out of some other place then either a gasket is missing or damaged or the float bowl cover hasn't been securely attached

There are proprietry cleaning sprays that you can buy normally called something like carb and injector cleaner. If there's a lot of residue on the main body then you can strip out all plastic and rubber items and leave overnight in a bucket of supermarket cola. (it strips crud off the casings - remember it being used to clean a penny at school?). You only need to leave it overnight and rinse thoroughly with clear water afterwards.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Rooos

Jun 09

Rooos says:

carbs attention

:winkie:As the others said and one other thing that if it has floats in the carb then check for the fact {as once it happened to me} of a float not having a crack in it{therefore not giving a true reading}. Maybe with a simple cleanout it will work fine and all our comments would only be wind in the past, good luck pal.

Reply to this Topic
ducatiboy1967

Feb 08

oh

Injectors blocked/

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

pegaso

Sorry smidget but thats not true. The currentbike IS fuel injected tocomply with EURO 3 emissionsstandards but that only cameinto force about 3 years ago.If its an older model it is almost certainly a carb model

For example:-

http://www.technical-specification.com/aprilia-pegaso-650-specs-1997

Reply to this Topic
gizzabreak

Apr 07

gizzabreak says:

Yep

Nice try Smidget:lol:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy