You are in... Forums > General > General > DVLA - Lost Motorcycle Entitlement

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ajacko

Jun 09

ajacko says:

DVLA - Lost Motorcycle Entitlement

In MCN again this week, this time a trip to Swansea with two affected riders. Why will they not deal with this? Do they seriously just dismiss them as folk trying it on to get hold of entitlement without taking a test? Why don't the DVLA know you've had entitlement for years given that it's the DVLA that issues you with that very entiltlement?

These are serious instances of a government department (ran for us, by an organisation we elect) simply ignoring their own mistakes and dismissing genuine grievances aired by the very people they are there to serve. Why aren't the national dailys interested in this? Is it because it only affects a minority?

In a few months time my licence is due for renewal, the photo is ten years old (have to wave goodbye to my 28 year old self and say hello to some fat bloke), needless to say i'm a bit apprehensive, given that, while being shown proof of previous entitlement by way of photocopies of old licences, the DVLA put their fingers in their ears, sing la.. la.. la.. while you're talking and pretend they can't see the images on the photocopies.

I have looked into the renewal process and it seems that you can just fill in the application and send it along with your new photo (no written verification needed on the back, it seems they are at least capable of looking at two photos taken 10 years apart and concluding that they are indeed of the same person, well done) and say that you've lost both old photocard and counterpart, this will not incur any extra charge as it's £20 for renewal anyway, they just issue you with a new one valid for another 10 years with or without your old one.

Of course I won't have actually 'lost' my old 2 part licence, i'll have just mislaid it until such time as I might be required to 'find' it again to prove to a court, insurance company etc. that "I have bike entitlement but it doesn't show on my current licence because the DVLA are useless, Your Honour".

There is no point presenting your old one at the DVLA headquarters in Swansea because, as we all know, they wouldn't see the nose in front of their face, even if you showed them a photo of it.

So, the DVLA have forced me to be less than honest in reporting an old licence lost purely so I can safeguard my future motorcycle entitlement. Thanks for that.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (24 July 2009 11:32)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MrHarlequin

Aug 02

MrHarlequin says:

Alas

You're not alone in having had to resort to that technique of protecting your entitlement

I can't think who else may have done that, naturally.....

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

ditto

I also have a 'missing' copy of the licence with me for the very same reason. I don't think its just incompetence anymore, I think they're actively trying to stop people from being able to use bikes as any form of transport.

Reply to this Topic
ajacko

Jun 09

ajacko says:

incompetence

The thought crossed my mind too, but in most cases they're replacing it with an HGV or PSV licence. Maybe they want us all to drive buses instead?

Reply to this Topic
queen bodecia

Oct 02

Licence probs

I think this kinda thing is extremely rare but it's wise to take precautions. I've sent my licence off countless times without so much as a photocopy (every time I've moved house) and had no problems. Maybe I won't be so trusting in future though.

Reply to this Topic
Mjollnir

Aug 08

Mjollnir says:

I too followed the same approach

I now have both my current and old licence in my wallet.

it is true though, considering they have had several cases proved that they have made some mistakes, you'd think they would have had some form of internal investigation.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices