You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > ST1100 Pan European

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

davidedward

Jul 09

davidedward says:

ST1100 Pan European

:upset: My trusty 1994 Pan European with only 30,000 miles on the clock has recently become "Smokey" when first starting up from cold! This clears once up to operating temperature but worrying for the first couple of minutes running! This isn't just condensation but smoke and first became really noticable when I had a Motad pattern exhaust system fitted some months ago! The new exhaust may be just coincidence but has anyone else experienced this?  Otherwise I'm thinking "wear on the valve guides?" or "sticking piston rings?"  Any views?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (26 July 2009 17:27)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

smoke

david,What`s the colour of the smoke,black,blue or white?also does it have a vent hole for water build up in the system`s lowest part. ?

Reply to this Topic
davidedward

Jul 09

davidedward says:

Smokey Pan European

For the first 10 or 20 seconds there's nothing - then a lot of blue acrid smelling smoke which lasts for another ten or twenty seconds before gradualy giving way to the more familiar, white cloud of condensation. The original exhaust did have a small drain hole underneath but I can't see anything like it on the new one! The smoke is always far worse if I've started the engine and only run it for a few minutes, when moving from the back of the house to the front in the evening, ready for a quick get away for work the next morning! The next morning it really reeks!

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

HONDA ST PAN EUROPEAN 1994

Hi Dave

Check the air filter and the bottom of the air box for contamination,it could be getting some oil from the crankcase?.Via the fuel pump and fuel filter you will find a diaphragm type fuel tap(automatic).The rubber diaphragm can start to leak and cause the bike to over fuel or flood when stood for a while or cut out,as it turns itself off.This is quite a common fault with older pans.These are the things to check out before delving to deep,if your bike has air suction valve,s into the exhaust ports(not sure) then this is another thing to investigate.Good Luck

K.C.and the sunshine band:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
davidedward

Jul 09

davidedward says:

TLC for my Pan

:smile Thanks for the the advice guys! I've had such long and reliable service from this bike that it owes me nothing even if it had got a serious problem!  I'll keep an eye on it for now and try to give it  more care and attention than it's had lately! It could probably benefit from a full day riding to blow out the cobwebs!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle