Skip to content

Discuss This Fans: Keep Toseland in MotoGP MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Fans: Keep Toseland in MotoGP

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Laura Kennerley  says:

Fans: Keep Toseland in MotoGP

Rain soaked James Toseland fans hope his sixth place finish at Donington will be enough to keep him on the MotoGP grid next year. The Tech 3 Yamaha rider has failed to deliver the results this year, causing speculation he will be forced to swap rides with WSB’s Ben Spies next season. But fans hope today’s result – a career equalling best...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (26 July 2009 21:02)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

6th in a raffle for jt

I'm pleased for his fans and the rain soaked donington crowd who remember paid ther hard earned cash to see it, as i'm sure Donington gave them little else to cheer about!!, However it was a raffle more than a race, like Toseland or not his performance is not worthy of another moto gp ride, but you have to ask the question, will politics play a part in keeping him in a job? dorna and the powers that be will want a brit in the series for commercial reasons you only have to look at the loyal british fans who depite the weather our only hope being toseland in the big class at that dreadfull donington park and money being tight for many still support this wonderful sport ,it's a business they don't want to lose, I hope we can come up with some new British blood to follow on and I hope above all that Silverstone can give us the spectacle it once did, many will only know donington and as such have only those memories to draw on, but by comparison it's a shadow of what Silverstone has given us in the past, it used be wider and faster and more flowing hopefully thats how it will be again , After several years of giving up on going to Donington I will for sure attend Silverstone hopefully to see more bikes on the grid some new brits and some great racing,lets hope talent gives us our next moto gp hope and not commercial pressure and wishful thinking,the fans deserve more than both Donington and toseland give them in return for their support

Reply to this Topic
zedthoumac

Jul 09

zedthoumac says:

Toseland??

Toseland's over-rated and my central heating's got more character. I dont think theres a less interesting rider in the paddock save for maybe Stoner and Pedrosa. MotoGP needs talented, colourful individuals like Rossi and Lorenzo. James would be better of playin the piano at a funeral, it would suit him more than MotoGP failure week in week out. 6th at Donny......wow! U guys would cheer if he farted. Lets face it, he's not good enough. Simples (Sorry, the meerkat ad came on as I was finishing) :)

Reply to this Topic
bailbath

Mar 09

bailbath says:

James has got plenty of character to put up with idiots putting him down every time he does anything.

Reply to this Topic
robjohnson81

May 09

robjohnson81 says:

Frampy

Are you for real?????? thtas just a better rider over taking a slow one in GP, different bike FFS

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

spot on RJ81

Good to see someone that knows what they are talking about.Did none of these people that think it is a different bike read the article talking about James speaking about the 09 shorter wheelbase bike at the start of the season and saying how good it was compared to the 08 bike.Even Poncharal has mentioned a few times the only main difference is the lack of cash!
Oh yes and is this not Edwards best season so far and on a Tech 3 bike not a Fiat Yam that he rode previously.Tyres could be a factor though!

Reply to this Topic
AdieMonk

Jul 09

AdieMonk says:

Edwards and Toseland

Edwards best season was back in 04 or 05, i can't for the life of me remember whether he was riding the Telefonica Honda or the Yam as Rossi's team mate.  He almost won at Assen in 06 but fell at the last corner.  He's a quality rider who has struggled for years with below par Michelin tyres.  He's also a great character to have in the paddock.

Toseland is the only Brit rider with the combination of talent, experience, and age who stands a chance of cutting it in MotoGP.  In a few years time we will have the likes of Laverty, Crutchlow, Rea etc but for now Toseland is all we have got.

Edwards has had 7 seasons in MotoGP, and only has 3 rostrums to show for it.  Why are we writing JT off so quickly?  We should be supporting him and making Dorna see sense and put pressure on the teams to make sure JT gets a ride on 2010.

It's either Toseland as the only Brit in MotoGP or we go a few years without a Brit in the blue ribband class.  I'd prefer to see a Brit in the top class, and Toseland is the best we have at the minute.

Let us not forget that both Edwards and Toseland are 2 times World Superbike champions and the last time I checked they weren't giving those away for free.  How many World SBK titles did the fantastic Bayliss have?  How many years was he in MotoGP, and how many MotoGP rostrums did he get?

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

Adiemonk

I may be getting on a bit, but I seem to recall Bayliss getting off a Superbike at the end of the season and  having a wildcard in the final motogp, which he duly won on an "unrideable" Ducati V4  !!

Maybe thats the sign of someone who always gives it a go!

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Colin to Fiat Team

The primary reason Rossi wants Edwards on the team is he sees him as NO threat. Rossi is happy to be mates with those he dismisses in this manner. Edward's has had his time. He's no different to Checa or Barros (except Colin has NEVER won in MotoGP) whom most of you were more than happy to slag. Colin's half Aussie you know - maybe he's related to Casey? Ohhhhh.

Reply to this Topic
Ziri

Feb 08

Ziri says:

Edwards and Toseland...in the same sentence?

Some folk are trying to compare Edwards and Toseland but I'm sorry you just can't. Edwards came in to ride the awful cube and worked his way up and what did Toseland get? The silver spoon. Memorably, Edwards proclaimed about the cube "if anyone can ride this thing faster than me I'll suck their dick", I'm yet to hear Toseland speak with that conviction, perhaps because he knows he'd be down on his knees by the end of quali.

Reply to this Topic
AdieMonk

Jul 09

AdieMonk says:

seniorspanner

True. Bayliss is a great rider who never gave up (until he finally gave up racing, obviously!).  His victory at Valencia in 2006 was fantastic, and I have loads of respect for him.  It really is a shame he has hung up his leathers.

But you seem to have missed my point which was purely to highlight the fact that people seem to have already written off JT, when in truth his results do compare with other riders who have been given much more time to get to grips with the bike, tyres, and circuits.

I highlighted Checa and Barros as they both had long-standing GP careers and were at best regular top 6 finishers, but more often than not under-achieved given what bike was underneath them.  Nicky Hayden didn't do much in his first two or three seasons on a full-factory Honda and he went on to be champion in 2006.

Should we cut Toseland a bit of slack?  He deserves one more season at least as he was new to the bike and circuits last season, and new to the tyres this season.  One more season on a machine, tyres, and circuits he knows and I'm sure we will see better results.  Of not then I'm up for him giving up the ride to someone more deserving.....

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices