Skip to content

Discuss This British MotoGP: Ducati tyre gamble ends in humiliation MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > British MotoGP: Ducati tyre gamble ends in humiliation

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

British MotoGP: Ducati tyre gamble ends in humiliation

Ducati suffered a disastrous British MotoGP at Donington Park after Casey Stoner and Nicky Hayden shocked the paddock by opting to run wet tyres for the 30-lap race. The gamble spectacular backfired as Stoner and Hayden were lapped just 13 laps into the race, with the rest of the field all selecting Bridgestone slick rubber. The race hadn’t even run for ten...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (27 July 2009 15:15)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Ziri

Feb 08

Ziri says:

Wishful thinking...

What you're not reading there is Stoner groaning about how Rossi gets all the luck. I had thought Stoner had turned a corner but when asked about Rossi he was back into a mini-sulk 'chip on his shoulder' moan about Rossi gets lucky while he's unlucky. It seemed pretty obvious that his decision to go for wets wasn't because it looked like it was going to rain but because he's desperate to run anything but a dry/greasy race. He was being delusional to say the least. I'm not sure why Hayden decided to do the same, maybe in future they'll stick with what everyone else is running.

Reply to this Topic
kawasakibiker

May 07

Stoner has NO EXCUSE this time...

For the first time in a long time.

And he could well have won had he the balls to race on slicks like everyone else.

Reply to this Topic
trailler

Jul 09

trailler says:

donny

he's some guy stoner. sulk , moan,sulk, moan,what a bloke. just bloody race!!!

Reply to this Topic
adamsson

Mar 08

adamsson says:

Intermediates?

This was a very strange decision (although I don't think Stoner will catch Rossi this year anyway) but it does show a problem with the control tyre rules they can use hard or soft slicks or wets. No intermediates and no cut slicks if they had the choice almost every rider would have gone for inters on Sunday.

Reply to this Topic
kwakanuts

Jun 09

kwakanuts says:

did anybody hear from hayden after the race, id love to hear what he has to say, if it was a team decision id say he is bull thick, the way the team manager was talking before the race it was all stoners decision, glad it went wrong for the little girl, he doesnt deserve the title this year, the yamaha boys do !!!

Reply to this Topic
rsvian

Jan 06

rsvian says:

Me thinks theres more to it

Somethings not right I say,,,,If you were the team boss why have both your blokes on the same rubber ? Those Ducatis had no grip in the dry (Stoner off twice) let alone in the damp on slicks, sounds to me like the bikes are just crap in those sort of conditions.....

Reply to this Topic
ninjaman08

May 09

ninjaman08 says:

ducati

CHAMPION NUMPTIES HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Reply to this Topic
travis73

Jun 07

travis73 says:

Comments...

Nothing spiteful going on here... Good to see there is 1 or 2 adults making relvant comments un like the childish drivel sprouted by ninjaman08, trailer and kwakanuts.

IF and thats a big IF, it had of rained the ducati team would be laughing. It was an acceptable risk in their mind. I mean come on. I was at glastonbury this year and the paper reported on friday that sunday was thunderstorms. We got a little rain but mostly suns shine. Weather prediction in this country is a lottery as it changes so quickly. If you're behind to a guy who is on of the all time greats, and he is on the best bike, you have to take a few risks...

Fair point Adamsson. I hadnt even thought about hte fact the cut slick or intermediates are no longer and option. Quite silly really. But then again i think DORNA is a combination of fcuk-ups.

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

Over Ruling

Ducati should have run wets on Hayden & over ruled Stoner, if Rossi, Lorenzo & Pedrosa were on slicks then so should Stoner. If Hayden had been quick then they should've bought Stoner to swap bikes/tyres. They compounded their error by not bringing either in when it was obvious they had no pace.

3 laps in & it was obvious they'd got it wrong, they were lucky that it didn't start raining around about lap 10 because they would have had the choice of limping around on wrecked wets or swapping to slicks in the wet. Mr Suppo should've taken more control of the situation. And to be fair if VR46 is sat on the grid with slicks on then the decision has been made.

Reply to this Topic
Gixstar360

Jul 09

Gixstar360 says:

That's racing.

Just signed up for here, so just thinking aloud.

In hindsight it was a pretty silly decision, but that's the way it goes. I'm not a Stoner fan so won't pretend to be sorry about it. In the words of Mr Whitham, why didn't they look at waht everyone else was running on. Considering they were the only ones on wets it was a hell of a long shot, but as Travis says. The weather here is a gamble. Rossi went out too early on slicks at Le Mans and it backfired. And he's arguably the marker for which way to turn in these situations. But, end of the day, if the riders weren't happy on slicks that's their call. But maybe a sign of confidence of rider/bike. But, what ever happend to inters or cut slicks?? do the tyre rules not allow them?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices