Skip to content

Discuss This British MotoGP: BBC gets record 2.9 million viewers MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > British MotoGP: BBC gets record 2.9 million viewers

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

British MotoGP: BBC gets record 2.9 million viewers

The BBC had a record audience for yesterday’s dramatic British MotoGP race at Donington Park. Audience figures peaked at 2.9 million viewers as an enthralling 30-lap race unfolded, with the BBC reporting an impressive average audience share of 23 per cent. The average audience for the race, which saw Andrea Dovizioso claim a maiden MotoGP victory after Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (27 July 2009 15:21)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

BBC coverage

It's plain that the priority motorsport on the BBC is F1 due to significantly more hours invested both on TV and particularly online.  It's night and day compared to MotoGP.  As other people have already said, the only reason the MotoGP was on BBC1 was because of a scheduling quirk in the season of having both GP series running a European event on the same day.

I've not been a Eurosport die-hard and it's unrealistic to expect the state broacaster to compete with a dedicated sports channel, but Auntie could be doing a lot more to push the premier global bike racing series.  It doesn't have to be wall-to-wall coverage, but I think the Beeb should try and focus a bit more on quality with the limited hours they can dedicate to bike coverage.

Reply to this Topic
stoner27

Jul 08

stoner27 says:

beeb suck

the bbc are all about f1 they had to start the moto gp late because of the bloody cars. there only getting good viewing numbers due to eurosport not been aloud to show the race live .which is a pisser but to me the commentry makes all the diffrence.when they put james haydon on eurosport i go to sleep he sounds so drowny .i then watch it live on the bbc but put toby and julian on .then im willing to wait the extra hour and watch eurosport though its not live.

Reply to this Topic
ninjaman08

May 09

ninjaman08 says:

beeb

All I can say is glad its on "normal telly" otherwise those of us that only have access to norm tv. wont see any racing. Why can't beeb show bsb? All you lot out there moaning about  the commentry apply to do the job yourself? as trying to watch several monitors, the race itself and have directors talking at you is quite difficult. If you dont like it,,, dont watch it

Reply to this Topic
crackpotbiker

Sep 05

2.9 Million viewers

Personaly, I'm not bothered about all your bitch ass whining.

People love nothing better than moaning about anything. But what you dim whits appear to be missing is that. The more people that get into watching our heros on a Sunday. The more  main stream tv channels will be interested in showing bike racing. That means more choice for the more critical viewers amongst us. Living in Holland I only have acess to the BBC via the tv, and no chance of watching the red button section. I do however to un rivalled coverage via motogp.com/ and worldsbk.com/  Yes I've had to pay for motogp,but to me it's worth it. Qualifying live,warm up live, races live. Plus the ability to view all other mgp videos (interviews, post race press interviews). Previous seasons races. Everything as often as you want! worldsbk you can watch Superpole and the races live.And again if you so wish for 7 days, then you only get a highlights version. RTLGP.NL is another that shows gp and sbk, and keeps archive available to anybody. Including the Superstock classes. It is in Dutch though!

Keep smiling

Reply to this Topic
Keeno46

Jul 08

Keeno46 says:

BBC are only gettin more viewers this year due to the fact, Eurosport cant show it live, Eurosport need to get it back live, its so much better listning to people who actually know who the riders are when they fall, not a guessing game as it is to bbc, bbc is shit!

Reply to this Topic
richlees2001

Oct 05

richlees2001 says:

More Viewers

The beeb would get more viewers if they got rid of the two numpties in the commentary box were replaced them with someone who actually knows something about the sport.

To hear the same drivel race after race is depressing.

To make matters worse, the chief numpty appeared on ITV to commentate on The TT (aaaagggghhhhh!)

Get rid of them and take the bimbo with them!

Reply to this Topic
Commando828

Feb 09

Commando828 says:

Cox's comments with children listening!?

Don’t knock Parish and Perry; it’s Cox!!!;

With hundreds of thousands of children listening, Cox came out with (last year):-
THIS ISN’T THE PUB OR CLUB; IT’S FAMILY TV!?

Le Mans : “If I were Vermulen I’d kick him on the foot, either one of them, there’re both broken.” . “Look at Lorenzo, you couldn’t kill him with a stick, could you?”

Dutch GP “How would you get rid of the guy in second place? (Stoner and Rossi dicing) “ ..a sniper” !? .

Misano “How do you beat your partner (team mate)? “…. with a chair leg…”

“That’s shot the fox”

“As much use as the bottom half of a mermaid”

“Nicky Haydn’s Dad chose ‘69’ as it read the same when his bike was upside down (after a crash); and one day he’s going to tell him what it really means.”

Steve Parrish “There’s been a lot a crashes today so the riders will be sore and need a massage.” Parrish realising what was coming next and tried to raise his voice to overcome the inevitable and inappropriate, “When she coming round …” from Cox.

Plus numerous references to ‘frogs’- the old Kwak team; and snide remarks about Pedrosa – easy and unnecessary targets?

Reply to this Topic
elsa1234

Mar 09

elsa1234 says:

mcn why dont you tell us how many watche qualifing on eurosport and the delayed race or even better tell us how many watched the gp last year i know that there is not the same ratio on people on sky tv to normal but let us know the stats

Reply to this Topic
Ziri

Feb 08

Ziri says:

I've got nothing against Parrish or Cox but I'm sick and tired of Cox in particular using car racing to explain what's going on with the bikes. I think it was during qualifying for the Sachsenring GP when their commentary was turned off for some reason and it was more enjoyable to watch in my opinion. If nothing else the BBC need to introduce an option to watch the race without the commentary.

Reply to this Topic
incheerocket

Mar 07

incheerocket says:

Only 'cos its not live on Eurosport..how many others like me watch 125's 250's live on eurosport then make the switch to BBC, Eurosport have had their own share of numpties commentating this year too, when theres been no Moody and Ryder,  James Hayden and the rest of them have been total crap not knowing one rider from another or who is riding for what team,  

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices