Skip to content

Ask an Expert AJS Eco125? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > AJS Eco125?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

sploo

Jul 09

sploo says:

AJS Eco125?

Hi All,

I'm hunting for a 125cc bike to get some experience before taking a test. As such, I'm looking for something that will be reliable, will handle reasonably well, and won't be a pig for a newbie to ride round cones, backwards, up walls, and whatever crazy things they want you to do on a test these days.

There are plenty of second hand YBRs and CGs around, but they tend to go for a fairly high price (for second hand... and often dropped, from what I've seen).

I was considering biting the bullet and dropping 2k on a new CBF125, but it's a lot of cash for a (hopefully) temporary bike.

I've seen a low mileage 08 plate AJS Eco125 for a good price (sub 1k) which looks in decent order.

Could anyone offer any thoughts on this? I'm not expecting Fireblade handling, just something that's going to be OK to ride, and not fall apart after 3 months.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (29 July 2009 21:32)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
davemdixon

Jul 09

davemdixon says:

AJS Eco125

Hi sploo, I looked at a new one of those AJS's yesterday as my son does his CBT tomorrow and will be after a bike. I have decided to advise him not to go for the AJS but the Yamaha YBR125. Reasons being the Yamie has 11 Kw motor the AJS has 7.5Kw motor. Carefull with Yamahas as the YBR 125 custom has a 7.6Kw motor. AJS comes with a one year guarantee Yamie 2 yrs + 3 yrs 0% finance or free third party ins. Go have a look there nice bikes and looked after will sell easily when your done. Dave:smile

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

NEW?

I'd not bother buying new. You'll lose a huge amount of cash but if you get a nice second hand one the odds are you'll still have to maintain it but you'll get a similar amount back.

CBR125 is good but the long wheel base can be a pain. Any of the main brands upright, classic 125s will be fine to learn on and pass your test on. Just keep an eye on the horsepower as you need it for the off road section. I think it's 14.6 or 15bhp max.

Reply to this Topic
sploo

Jul 09

sploo says:

Bike bought!

Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

I actually laid down cash for an 08 plate AJS last weekend (picking it up this weekend). Two broken legs by Saturday evening then.

Having spent some time looking at it, I'm pretty convinced it shares a lot of parts with the YBR. If not, they've spent a lot of time copying the shape of the engine casing and various other bits.

Dave - are you sure the YBR has an 11Kw motor? Yamaha's site indicates 7.5 kW for both the YBR and the YBR custom. The YZF-R sports bike looks to have 11Kw.

I have steered clear of the sports bike versions (like the CBR125). Partly because I want something that's as easy to ride as possible (for passing a test) and partly because a sporty looking bike with <15bhp strikes me as being like a one-point-f***-all Fiesta with a big wing and bean can exhaust! :winkie:

Cheers!

Reply to this Topic
davemdixon

Jul 09

davemdixon says:

Ooops!!!

its the 4 valve liquid cooled yamies that have 11kw. All the rest 7.5kw. Sorry about that. Dave:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

Progress report please

I am looking for a 125, just as you were for your son, and I was also attracted by the price of the 125 ECO.  How is your lad's going please?  Is it easy and reliable as you hoped?

Best wishes,

Paul

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices